Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Recommendation

Post by Nel101
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT

I have noticed this intersection due to a user report stating "Wrong Direction". And by judging the way this intersection was setup, I can see why. A waze user have recently updated this intersection but it's unnecessarily complicated and not following the general guidelines by the Wiki manual. So should I just go ahead and change this according to the Wiki manual. I just don't want to "stepping" on anyone shoes.
Nel101

POSTER_ID:8125104

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Unknown=The person editing the map doesn't know the direction, so Waze will be allowed to figure it out by routing on the segment both directions. If the turns onto the segment are hard-restricted prior to setting to unknown, the likelihood of Waze routing onto it are less, though.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
I would certainly reach out to PhantomSoul to see what was that recent editor was trying to accomplish. I don't know what "closed due to inoperable signal" means or how long such a closure is expected to remain in place.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Nel101
I'm thinking maybe the traffic light was out right after Hurricane Sandy, just as thousands were out around the state.
Nel101
Send a message

Post by Nel101
Thank you PhantomSoul for fixing that. Although the traffic light is probably working by now, I don't go that way too often to check. So if you could change the direction of the connector once you can confirm it on Friday, that would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Nel101
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
I put the extra connectors in after seeing errors for wrong direction when drivers would make a u-turn from either US-130 approach. Also, approaching this intersection northbound on US-130, there is a very long left turn lane, so the objective was to get Waze to tell you to keep left well before the intersection before telling you to actually turn left.

I think we can simplify this by putting a single junction node on the southbound side of US-130 that would connect both directions of CR-522 to the west, as well as the single 2-way segment going east to Fresh Ponds Rd. This will resolve the u-turn problems. I'd still like to keep the left-turn connector northbound on US-130 to get advanced warning to keep left.

The recent storm in NJ knocked over nearby power lines, leaving the signal at this intersection inoperable. As a result, local authorities blocked off all turns between the 2 US-130 roadways. Last weekend, I saw utility crews working on those powerlines, but as of leaving town last Sunday, the traffic signal was not yet working. I don't get back home until Friday, so I can't verify it, but if anyone knows for sure that it's been restored, we can re-allow those turns.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
Ok, I simplified this intersection as described above. Not sure what to make of the wrong direction report though.

I left the connector between the 2 directions of US-130 as "direction unknown" to prevent Waze from routing drivers over that segment. If anyone knows for sure that the traffic signal has been restored, please feel free to restore it back to "two-way." Otherwise, I'll check it out on Friday afternoon when I get back home.

Sorry about the mess...
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
I'll swing by there this afternoon. After all, it's like 1/2 mile from my house ;)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
BTW, I reconnected this on Friday (it's been reopened); now it just has to be updated to the map tile server.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
Ok. Good to know. I guess actually disconnecting the closed segment(s) guarantees the routing engine will never even consider them.

I ran into another spot way across my area where a section of road is closed long term for construction, so I just disconnected the closed segments and used the "CONST ZN" suffix on them to show it's disconnected for construction.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message