Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Complete Standstill? How about Stop and Go.

Post by clarity99
Traffic reported as "complete standstill" is WAY too prevalent, and flat our wrong 99% of the time. If traffic was really stopped, I wouldn't go there, but most of the time it just means it's a little slow.

In my area "Stop and Go", or "Slow and Go" is much more common, and represents a big difference from "Heavy Traffic". I would really like to see this option.

Otherwise, this is an awesome App! I just hope it doesn't get abused too much by all of the spam reports :(
clarity99

POSTER_ID:12159732

Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
What if the jam were in the other direction? Have seen this several times, you go by the jam and its gone or lightened up. Those are the times I would like to report yes, it is still a standstill or no, it has cleared up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by CBenson
clarity99 wrote:Traffic reported as "complete standstill" is WAY too prevalent, and flat our wrong 99% of the time. If traffic was really stopped, I wouldn't go there, but most of the time it just means it's a little slow.
Don't know where you are, but there are enough wazers where I am (Washington DC region) that if traffic is truly stopped, the road will be dark red. The problem with the user reports is exactly what you state, traffic is stop and go. Where traffic was stopped 30 seconds ago it may be flowing now.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by OldGnome
clarity99 wrote:Traffic reported as "complete standstill" is WAY too prevalent, and flat our wrong 99% of the time. If traffic was really stopped, I wouldn't go there, but most of the time it just means it's a little slow.

In my area "Stop and Go", or "Slow and Go" is much more common, and represents a big difference from "Heavy Traffic". I would really like to see this option.

Otherwise, this is an awesome App! I just hope it doesn't get abused too much by all of the spam reports :(
Unfortunately, the accuracy of the situation is still entirely dependent on people making the right choice. As long as the current options are used, I can make my own decision based on how drivers in the area seem to report traffic. I admit I don't often use "complete standstill" much at all, but if others are reporting that, I will still avoid the area when I can.
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by thesuperzman
I never use stand-still. Because I don't consider stop and go at a stand-still. I agree the stop and go would be good. I also might suggest some definition of moderate or heavy traffic.
thesuperzman
Send a message

Post by TurnpikeWarrior12345
well - I think what Waze did makes sense - Moderate/Heavy/Standstill.

if your traffic is stop-and-go but moving very slow... it's obviously heavy and we can see the highway color-coding & speed of traffic and then make an appropriate decision beforehand.

Standstill would be, well, the entire traffic at complete stop because cops blocked off the entire road due to nasty accident or whatsoever.

If there is a growing number of inaccurate traffic jam reports... perhaps there should be an "UNDO" button.
TurnpikeWarrior12345
Send a message

Post by yrrabsille
TurnpikeWarrior wrote:well - I think what Waze did makes sense - Moderate/Heavy/Standstill.

if your traffic is stop-and-go but moving very slow... it's obviously heavy and we can see the highway color-coding & speed of traffic and then make an appropriate decision beforehand.

Standstill would be, well, the entire traffic at complete stop because cops blocked off the entire road due to nasty accident or whatsoever.

If there is a growing number of inaccurate traffic jam reports... perhaps there should be an "UNDO" button.
I completely agree, Standstill should only be used in those really nasty situations.

Traffic situations can change so fast that I wonder if it might be possible to upgrade/downgrade someone else's report in the pop-up? If you approach a traffic report and the conditions have changed, you could just update the report rather than generate a new report and clutter the map.

Barry
yrrabsille
Send a message