Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by harling
I'm not saying it is impossible, or that nobody would find it helpful; just that this feature needs to be evaluated in terms of cost/benefit; and compared to all the other things that Waze wants/needs to do.

The required effort to design, implement and maintain is typically underestimated; and while the feature will garner the appreciation of a number of end-users, it won't help Waze produce better routes, improve the performance of the client/server, or pave the way to any future capabilities of which I am aware.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
gettingthere wrote:So if you are sitting at home with WME editor open and the built in functions how are you to determine what a speed limit is for a road segment, where is begins and where it ends? Remember the example where the sigh is knocked down (ie Street View and similar of no value).

Does your area have some government published speed limit data that can be referenced?
I think the working assumption is that the speed limit data would be entirely crowdsourced from drivers on location, requiring no attention from Area Managers. (Whether that is tenable is another question.)
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by iahim
gettingthere wrote:
fvwazing wrote:BIG NO! I disabled this on every gps I used so far - not because I speed all the time, but because the continuous false alarms this feature gave. Of every map, speed seems to be the first part that is outdated. Housenumbers is less work than this - housenumbers tend to stay over the years. Speeds tend not to.

Given that all the big map-providers have a lot of problems doing this right I am very sceptic that Waze can do this by means of importing, regulary, of updated speeds from a mystical, all-knowing source of speeds. Waze may get some data from some source and then rely on the crowd to set and keep it right.
I agree that this is a major undertaking to keep updated with minimal benefit. But Waze seems to think otherwise.
If I understand correctly, for each road, Waze keeps a record of the the average hourly speed. They could use the maximum hourly average to estimate the speed limit. Based on that, like somebody suggested a few weeks ago in a post, change the color of the speedometer to let you know that you may be above the speed limit (green if you're at or bellow the speed limit, yellow for 10% above, etc.) That's less likely to create problems than displaying an incorrect speed limit on the screen.
iahim
Send a message

Post by iahim
My point was that Waze could do something to help the drivers with the data it already has. Seeing a red speedometer would make you slow down and look for a real speed limit sign on the road. I'm 100% against displaying a speed limit on the screen because it could be incorrect. It's just impossible to keep up with all the speed limit changes, especially temporary changes during road work.
iahim
Send a message

Post by kenf3
Just allow users to report the location of Speed Limit signs. This would fit in easily with the current Reports function/icon.

This would also address the road construction issue. And if you add an alert feature that compares the nearby speed limit signs to your current vehicle speed, include a setting to tweak when the alert pops up (0, +5mph, +10mph over limit).

Ken
kenf3
Send a message

Post by kenf3
Just a quick clarification - my interest in allowing wazers to report speed limit signs was to help with highways where speed limits vary. A few years ago I got a ticket doing ~80 mph on a highway that is mostly 70 mph but occasionally drops down to 65 mph due to small towns. It was at night and I had just picked up a hamburger and must have missed the 65 mph sign. It would have been nice to glance down at Waze and see that 65 mph sign on my iPhone, or better yet, see that 65 mph sign blinking red because I exceeded my +10 mph limit I had set.

Speed Limit signs don't change often so once a Wazer posted its location, very little effort is required to maintain them. Obviously, Wazers should have the option to turn off the speed limits mapping layer like you can do with traffic, Wazer locations, etc.

Ken
kenf3
Send a message

Post by lchamp423
kenf3 wrote:Just a quick clarification - my interest in allowing wazers to report speed limit signs was to help with highways where speed limits vary. A few years ago I got a ticket doing ~80 mph on a highway that is mostly 70 mph but occasionally drops down to 65 mph due to small towns. It was at night and I had just picked up a hamburger and must have missed the 65 mph sign. It would have been nice to glance down at Waze and see that 65 mph sign on my iPhone, or better yet, see that 65 mph sign blinking red because I exceeded my +10 mph limit I had set.

Speed Limit signs don't change often so once a Wazer posted its location, very little effort is required to maintain them. Obviously, Wazers should have the option to turn off the speed limits mapping layer like you can do with traffic, Wazer locations, etc.

Ken
For what it's worth...I have a Garmin GPS running all the time and use waze for routing. The Garmin tells me the speed limits.

When I see a police patrol, I quickly check the Garmin to confirm my speed limit in case I missed the last sign. Yeah, it would be nice if the Waze software included this. It seems that the thought of this causes a lot of resentment among the old hands here, so I'll keep using the Garmin for now...and the Waze, too...
lchamp423
Send a message
Central Florida, USA
Verizon Droid Bionic
Waze 3.2.0.0

Post by lchamp423
xteejx wrote:Well said. If you need to look at a screen to know what speed you should be doing because you were eating a burger or texting, and then bitch when you get a ticket, then for the love of God stay off the roads. I don't need my insurance premiums going up or a member of my family killed because Waze added another feature for people to mess about with their phones with because some nob wanted to check the speed limit instead of being aware and driving! /rant

using Tapatalk

Mod edit: removed profanity that may be inappropriate for some forum readers
OK...I'm outta here. If you think I'm that stupid, I won't waste my time here.
lchamp423
Send a message
Central Florida, USA
Verizon Droid Bionic
Waze 3.2.0.0

luftms
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
daknife wrote:Particularly if as I suggested Waze were to do like other aps and devices that do track the speed limits and change the color of the speed box to red when you exceed the posted limit.
The last thing I want is yet another piece of software nagging me. I would like to decide when and where and under what circumstances to alert me of my speed. Besides, on my Garmin, the red font on the dark grey background that it uses to display one's speed when traveling faster than the speed limit is extremely difficult to read in the daytime.

When driving on the interstate in Florida, if you aren't driving at least ten miles an hour over the speed limit, you are in danger of getting rear-ended.
OldGnome
Send a message