Source code repository on github

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Re: Source code repository on github

Postby OldGnome » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:06 pm

bgodette wrote:You really are being dense...

Are the public insults really necessary?
OldGnome

Postby bgodette » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:30 pm

OldGnome wrote:

Are the public insinuations that there's code theft after it's been explained many times really necessary?
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby OldGnome » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:09 pm

bgodette wrote:
OldGnome wrote:

Are the public insinuations that there's code theft after it's been explained many times really necessary?

First, my apologies for posting that in-thread. I intended to send you a PM. I will be more careful in the future.

Second, I think you answered my question. You could always move on to something more productive.
OldGnome

Re: Source code repository on github

Postby floppyrod84 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Actually Brian is one of the most productive in the community. Has to be said.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby shr3k » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:29 am

bgodette wrote:
OldGnome wrote:

This is straw man. I didn't know that someone wrote about a code theft. :?

I took the trouble, unlike you, to find similar or identical function calls, similar directory structure used in time of compiling in dynamically linked shared object library of Waze GPL and closed-source clients and expressed a doubt. That's all. If you have better information based on your own research, just share them.
Sony XPeria Z1 Compact in Mazda6 Wagon 2.2 CD Revolution
shr3k

Re: Re: Re: Source code repository on github

Postby bgodette » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:58 am

Shr3k wrote:
bgodette wrote:
OldGnome wrote:Are the public insults really necessary?

This is straw man. I didn't know that someone wrote about a code theft. :?
vvvvv
Shr3k wrote:I took the trouble, unlike you, to find similar or identical function calls, similar directory structure used in time of compiling in dynamically linked shared object library of Waze GPL and closed-source clients and expressed a doubt.
e.g. insinuating code theft. You continue to ignore the fact that relicensing is allowed to willfully perpetuate this insinuation.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:42 am

IF the code was forked from Ehuds version or the licence was changed at that time. Copyright and licencing is a very touchy subject at the best of times!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby shr3k » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:22 am

bgodette wrote:e.g. insinuating code theft. You continue to ignore the fact that relicensing is allowed to willfully perpetuate this insinuation.

This is argumentum ad hominem. Again I remind you if you have better information just present it. It's more constructive than continue writing something I never wrote and even never meant.

Regards relicensing, it seems you you totally forgot the "infectiousness" of GPL. If you want a use a GPL code in closed source project, you must ask and relicense every piece of code, every patch, from every developer who worked on it before. As every version, branch or a fork is GPL again and again until someone comes and rewrites it from beginning. And if the source code isn't stable hosted on a CVS system for long time, it is quite difficult to detect appropriate parts of the submitted patches from different developers as these changes are quite atomic. Actually it is often better to start with a complete rewrite from scratch if you have learnt and have knowhow.
shr3k

Postby bgodette » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:44 pm

Shr3k wrote:
bgodette wrote:e.g. insinuating code theft. You continue to ignore the fact that relicensing is allowed to willfully perpetuate this insinuation.

This is argumentum ad hominem. Again I remind you if you have better information just present it. It's more constructive than continue writing something I never wrote and even never meant.
No you did as your intent is clear. You've presented nothing but speculation and accusation. It is up to YOU to support YOUR claims, and you have not done so.
Shr3k wrote:Regards relicensing, it seems you you totally forgot the "infectiousness" of GPL.
You seem to have a mistaken belief about how the GPL works in regards to *your own code*. It specifically allows you to relicense at will *your own code* regardless of it having been previously under the GPL.
Shr3k wrote:If you want a use a GPL code in closed source project, you must ask and relicense every piece of code, every patch, from every developer who worked on it before.
You finally acknowledged one of the points I brought up as to why there is no problem.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby shr3k » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:33 am

Please don't shout and be constructive. It looks like you have some kind of unofficial information that the Waze team relicensed code from all previous developers of RoadMap.
shr3k

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App