Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

State Hwy 1 South Island using city field "South Island"

Post by ispyisail
Hi Guys

I've been thinking about naming the whole of "State Hwy 1" city field in the south island to "South Island"

The theory would be when you zoom out the only name left would be "South Island"

Thoughts?
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

POSTER_ID:5851995

Send a message

Post by Antmannz
ispyisail wrote:... now I believe some streets are labelled with the greater city name so it gives the impression that waze knows the greater city name..............
This.

I've found recently that you can now search without specifying a city and Waze will return results closer to you first. In the past it seemed completely random.
Antmannz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Antmannz
I dunno if I'd rely on a pdf from a council site; no telling how old it is.

Having said that, the AA states that the pdf's Gumtown location is Three Mile Bush.

... and the council's rates record detail for a property at that location is Kamo.

... and their GIS map doesn't have anything.

http://i.imgur.com/MqNTU.pngClick for full image.

So .... :?
Antmannz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Antmannz
ispyisail wrote:Im not sure what to say...............

Untill a few weeks ago you couldn't nagavate from picton to bluff, hang you couldn't even navigate to christchurch to Dunedin and you guys are spending time proving my postal address is wrong based on google or other source.

Whats up with that..................
We're pedants ??

:geek: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Antmannz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by finshona
I personally would like to be able to use Waze for both navigation and real time traffic routing. I try when possible to add as much information about the roads I am driving for the benefit of any other Wazers who maybe following and after a recent visit to Taupo I am now into editing the maps as well.

I find it amusing and frustrating that you are all talking about naming cities vs suburbs when a lot of the roads created by some of you involved in this discussion, around Taupo and including Taupo township were completely unnamed in every field. After travelling North yesterday I see that the problem of unnamed, unfinished roads with turn restrictions left on and one way roads galore is much more prevalent around the country than I realised.

I will watch this discussion with interest to see what you all decide on suburb/city naming and will adhere to what is decided when you reach a consensus. I'm inclined to agree with pcp192 about the rural roads being named by the area they are in as this would make using waze as a navigational tool a bit more reliable. Though so long as people don't care about how they create the roads in the first place it is all a moot point as waze is only as good as its creators.
finshona
Send a message

Post by haluca
I like the idea of this, I've made a tiny dent recently in the greater wellington region because the suburb naming drives me nuts. When zoomed out they all say 'Suburb name, wellington' and it looks awful.

So, tell me if I've got this right

- city name on all primary and above roads - main 'city/suburb' field
- suburb name on all primary and above roads - alt 'city/suburb' field
- suburb name on all regular roads - main 'city/suburb' field
- no city/suburb name on rural roads

Is that right?

The last one I agree with for sure. As an example yesterday a town I drove past on state hwy 1, showed up on the map as ahead of me after I'd passed as the section of sh1 ahead of me was labeled as part of the town, which doesnt look good.
haluca
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
Waze knows the greater city name even when the suburb is put in the city field.
Are you sure about this?

I used to think this but now I believe some streets are labelled with the greater city name so it gives the impression that waze knows the greater city name..............
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
nzhook wrote:
pcp192 wrote:My view is that the city field should be used in all roads to reflect the area that the road is actually in. If its done properly I don't see why it's an issue. When zooming out the area/town names across the country is what you will see.
I disagree with this, its fine in places like Auckland where everything is very connected, but once you start going out into the rest of New Zealand the client starts doing weird stuff, for example the middle of the town/city is the middle of all the roads that have that name. And recently ive found largish (50k) towns that are in the middle of nowhere because the city name had the name on the small road.

On top of that as ive mentioned in the other thread when people are setting the city, its based on 'ive just done this one', and everything in between doesnt exist until someone fixes it. For example Taranaki had a lot of places like this, Inglewood, Eltham, Midhurst, Patea, even Hawera were all listed as the incorrect towns because someone had done a town/city before it, entered the name and then when someone else came along they didnt update the field. At least if its set as No City it wont cause what the forum calls a City Smudge.
yep, im with "nzhook" on this one
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
However the real question that needs to be asked is, is Waze a replacement for a navigation system like Google maps in that you can navigate from Auckland to somewhere you dont know. Or is it a user based traffic assessment app that you use in your local area to get around current problem spots?
Both.

But it doesn't do the first very well. Having said that its getting better.
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
I just had a quick look at the UK and the section I looked at (secondary highway) didn't have a city name (no name)?
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message