Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

GasBuddy

Post by kcreary
You MUST integrate with GasBuddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kcreary

POSTER_ID:10470999

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
Found this article on TechCrunch awhile ago...
TechCrunch wrote:The data comes from OPIS, but if you arrive at a station and find that the price has changed, you can improve the data by uploading that information into the app.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by bez825
I agree. Why reinvent the wheel? GasBuddy by far is the best tool out there, the one in Waze is no where close to it. I could understand costs. Wave integrates with Foursquare already. GasBuddy could leverage Waze to their customers...it goes both ways.
bez825
Send a message

Post by Daknife
$$$$$ is most likely the reason why not. Gasbuddy knows they have a product, why should they license their data so others stop using their branded service? So I'm sure they'd be glad to license with Waze, but is Waze willing to pay what GB thinks their data is worth? Or can Waze just build on it's crowd-sourcing users to build their own data for free? Granted Waze does use a 3rd party source for minimum frequency data updates, but users in many areas keep the prices updated more accurately and far faster than the third party data.

I think the real question, is why should (less any patent issues) Waze pay one red cent for data it's own users can and are providing?
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by jasonh300
Integrating with an established site like GasBuddy takes a lot of negotiations and may cost a lot of money and could muddy some intellectual property rights. It's not just something that you can attach to and let it ride. It's for the same reason why we can't view Google satellite images on the Waze client or use street data from Apple Maps.

As pvaladares said, it's possible that they're getting some data fed to them by GasBuddy already, but we're not sure.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by pvaladares
Maybe it is already being used :-)
It may be called a 3rd party in Waze.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
pvaladares
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by sgtgary
I was curious about this question so I searched and found this thread - my idea is similar but with a twist. Rather than pay GasBuddy to get their data, why not a data sharing agreement? GasBuddy data flow to Waze and Waze price updates flow to GasBuddy for their users? There should be no reason a business solution couldn't be made that works out best for everyone.

Alternative, maybe Waze could sync to GasBuddy data for updates the way it does with Foursquare? You sign in to GasBuddy with the Waze app and it posts the data for ya?

There seems to much potential for a good relationship between these two services! ;)
sgtgary
Send a message
Nebraska State Manager
US Plains Editor
Twitter: @sgtgary