City polygon layer has updated (NA)

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: City polygon layer has updated (NA)

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:23 pm

I noticed first time I checked the editor this morning. I had done some experimental things with a couple of neighborhoods, thinking I'd get a quick update...then I forgot about them. Now, several months later, I get these giant neighborhood names on the map. It looks bad, so I undid that work on all but one of them. I hope we get another update soon.

AndyPoms wrote: Still appearing on the map are the neighborhood of "Blue Hills" (all segments removed over 6 months ago), and "Canaan" (the neightborhood in the town of North Canaan") which was removed (relabeled "North Canaan") so we could label the actual Town of Canaan as "Canaan" as it was never labeled in the first place. :x

Yeah, you can't get rid of those by removing all the segments. I have one here that's a CDP that nobody actually refers to, and I changed them all over a year ago. There's no more geometric outline, but the name still appears on the map. There's two city layers...one that we can have an effect on, and one that came from the basemap that's not dependent on segments with city names. There's more details about that in a very recent thread (yesterday) about the basemap import which has all the corresponding city names and even the smudges that have given us all grief.

skbun wrote:The offending 'city' is 'M, Ohio'. If you scroll around the borders, especially with the help of the WME highlighting tool if you are an AM, you'll be able to identify and reassign those segments.

This update got rid of the cities of G and B, Misisssippi in the suburbs of Gulfport and Biloxi. I suspect we've all done this...probably more with city names that begin with letters that can be touch-typed with the left hand. I've never had it happen with more than one typed letter. (For New Orleans, I type "ew" and hit enter, Metairie, "et", Kenner "er", etc.")
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby iainhouse » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:11 am

skbun wrote:Would you suggest in that case just having all of the city polygons generated at tile update time (as I think it works on the World server)?

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. The city layer is not updated when the tiles are. I don't think I've seen a City layer update since I joined Waze. Certainly there are city name errors that I corrected in my early days that are still showing on the client. I also completely named the village where I was on vacation in August and the city name & polygon still haven't appeared in either the client or editor.

Personally, I think it would all be far more maintainable if city names didn't come from the segments, but were in a separate landmark layer that is only accessible to AMs & CMs.

[EDIT] The forum ate this post the first time I made it. :) I see someone else has already suggested a city polygon layer [/EDIT]
ImageImageImage
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:54 am

I can confirm that the "M" city label still shows on the (iPad) client maps in NW Ohio and moves to various places as you zoom in and out.

And yes I refreshed my map tiles too.

Photo Nov 27, 23 40 20-2.jpg
Photo Nov 27, 23 40 20-2.jpg (113 KiB) Viewed 1153 times

Using Color Highlighter, I could not find any "M" cities in the area either.

U.S. based Emeritus Global Champ
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes RC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL & iPad "3"
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby gerben » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:46 pm

For the client, the city layer is only updated for tiles that had at least one edit during the last update cycle, so to get rid of it, every tile covered by the smudge needs an edit.
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben

Postby gerben » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:09 pm

I am so glad I live in a small country... A year ago, we added all official cities to the map (600 or so) by naming a few segments. This took a few weeks between several CM's and AM's. After that, all wrong cities were deleted directly in the database by Waze, and the database has been locked to prevent the addition of new citynames. Since then, smudges and false names could only be added through Cartouche, which most editors did not know about.

Now that Cartouche is retired, there will be a final cleanup of the database, and we will never have a smudge again :D.
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben

City polygon layer has updated (NA)

Postby fvwazing » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:40 pm

@skbun: different zoomlevels of the livemap are generated at different times with different data, which is kind of fun if you think of it. The routes that are planned in the livemap use the same/newest dataset as the client does.

To force an update for a citysmear it may be an idea to draw a railroad where the smear shows. After the next mapupdate the railroad can be removed et voila - smear disappear.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby AndyPoms » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:50 am

skbun wrote:Yeah...unfortunately, it appears that allowNewCities is a property on a country, and doesn't exist on a state. They'd probably have to mess with the database internals to allow that to happen on a state level, below 'United States'. Not that I'd object if they did!
I was leaning more towards the automatic removal of a specific set of data (i.e. I can provide the official list of Cities & Towns, and Waze can removed everything not on that list from City & Alt Name fields)... The locking would be nice, but once we have the map correct, we can then easily see when new (incorrect) cities are added & just manually handle them...

skbun wrote:The U.S. is the fifth largest country in the world by area, even without Alaska. Add Alaska in, and we're up to #4. Then you compare that to the Netherlands, which is the size of only Virginia, in area.
Connecticut is even smaller... ;)
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

gerben wrote:I am so glad I live in a small country... A year ago, we added all official cities to the map (600 or so) by naming a few segments. This took a few weeks between several CM's and AM's. After that, all wrong cities were deleted directly in the database by Waze, and the database has been locked to prevent the addition of new citynames. Since then, smudges and false names could only be added through Cartouche, which most editors did not know about.

Now that Cartouche is retired, there will be a final cleanup of the database, and we will never have a smudge again :D.

Hmmm... :idea: That would be nice to do in a small state such as Connecticut...
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:44 pm

jasonh300 wrote:Yeah, you can't get rid of those by removing all the segments. I have one here that's a CDP that nobody actually refers to, and I changed them all over a year ago. There's no more geometric outline, but the name still appears on the map. There's two city layers...one that we can have an effect on, and one that came from the basemap that's not dependent on segments with city names. There's more details about that in a very recent thread (yesterday) about the basemap import which has all the corresponding city names and even the smudges that have given us all grief.
We've been able to get rid of some of these, but not all of them... We still have a large list to work on (made much easier by the Highlighter Tools) and once we're done with that list, I'll pass the info onto support in one big request...
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm seeing updates in CT... The addition of the City of "W" and the Town of "gr" due to mislabeled segments (now fixed)... :roll: Still appearing on the map are the neighborhood of "Blue Hills" (all segments removed over 6 months ago), and "Canaan" (the neightborhood in the town of North Canaan") which was removed (relabeled "North Canaan") so we could label the actual Town of Canaan as "Canaan" as it was never labeled in the first place. :x
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor