Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Wrong State - Mississippi?

Post by jwkilgore
In several locations in Mississippi many of the roads are indicated to be in the wrong state. For example, this segment appears to be untouched since created from the original basemap:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=26649102
It lists as being in Louisiana, even though it's 80 miles from the LA border. It only appears to happen with un-named streets. The named street immediately to the north (Grace lewis Dr) is listed as being in Mississippi. I've changed or deleted (private driveways) many hundreds of these, with no end in sight.

Before the recent editor update, when you drew a new road in this area it defaulted to Louisiana. Now it defaults to "Other", and lists Mississippi and Louisiana as options.

Next area:
Unnamed roads in the Carrolton, MS, area default to Arkansas (again, about 80 miles from the border):
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... s=26163435
(in case you're interested, that donut-looking thing is a massive pile of pine logs about to be chipped up to make paper)

Here, new streets still default to "Arkansas". I drew a test street at the above location showing this.

Is this just something that needs to be manually edited, or is there some way TPTB can do an automated fix?

[EDIT:] I went back to check the links in this post, and the "Arkansas" street I drew was then listed as "Other". I played around a little, and all new streets came in as Other. Then right before coming back here, it was "Arkansas" again. So it may be Other or Arkansas or maybe even Kansas. Who knows.
jwkilgore

POSTER_ID:2171258

Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png
Jason Kilgore
iPhone 5c
Area Manager: Mississippi and Tennessee

Post by Bigbear3764
I have been hunting down some in my area and my drives north into Wisconsin where some are Michigan or Canada. I just pan the map and pull down the list of cities, if I get funky ones, I know they are in the area. Seek and destroy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
Maybe it's because there are fewer editors overseeing Mississippi, but my experience has been that the Magnolia State has a serious problem with state-smear. At least compared to the little editing I've done in TN, AL and FL.

I work occasionally around Carroll, LeFlore and Grenada Counties so I see what the OP is talking about a lot. I just don't understand why the editor would even give us the option of multiple states when we're right smack dab in the middle, 80+ miles from any border. If I go more than 10-15 miles into Florida I tend to lose the ability select Alabama, for example. And I'm currently working the outskirts of Mobile and don't see Mississippi as a state option until I'm almost close enough to "see" the state line in the editor. It's a head scratcher.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
jasonh300 wrote:It doesn't have anything to do with the number of editors in Mississippi (there are 3 heavily active MS editors other than myself). It's because the geometry of Mississippi was incorrect in the basemap, on a layer that we can't edit. You can see this by checking unnamed roads to see what state they're labeled with. If a street came from the basemap with a name, it also had the city and state attached to it. If the street had no name, then some automatic process pulled the state from a geometric outline in an invisible layer, and that layer was wrong. You get similar results by creating a new road, except now, you get an error that you're too far from the state you selected. (Prior to a few months ago, it'd let you save and contribute to the smear.)

Close to the coast, it stops around Gulfport, but if you get 30 or 40 miles inland, I see unnamed roads in Mississippi with Louisiana on them almost to the Alabama line.
Ah, OK. How much of a priority should it be for us to go around and fix the state names on unnamed roads? Is it going to adversely affect routing?
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
jasonh300 wrote:As I go through coastal Mississippi doing cleanup, I delete the vast majority of them unless I can clearly see a road in the aerial, or there's some evidence of construction. They *never* have GPS tracks on them. A lot of them appear to be overgrown dirt paths, and some of them are creeks and small rivers. And the ones that seem to be legitimate roads usually have the correct state for some reason...maybe some of the no-name roads were flagged as no-name in the basemap and had a city/state attached to them.

I figure if I delete something that needs to be there, I keep a close enough eye on that area that I'll see a pave or a UR complaining about it.
I'm deleting stuff like that, too, but some roads I'm finding are well trodden dirt roads or paved but I can't find a name for them… this is especially true in my home territory in Alabama. Some of them are trailer parks and parking lots that are better to be there than not. I've not been editing them beyond directionality no matter where I'm editing, but now I'm wondering if I should go back and change them all.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
CrackedLCD wrote:Maybe it's because there are fewer editors overseeing Mississippi, but my experience has been that the Magnolia State has a serious problem with state-smear. At least compared to the little editing I've done in TN, AL and FL.
It doesn't have anything to do with the number of editors in Mississippi (there are 3 heavily active MS editors other than myself). It's because the geometry of Mississippi was incorrect in the basemap, on a layer that we can't edit. You can see this by checking unnamed roads to see what state they're labeled with. If a street came from the basemap with a name, it also had the city and state attached to it. If the street had no name, then some automatic process pulled the state from a geometric outline in an invisible layer, and that layer was wrong. You get similar results by creating a new road, except now, you get an error that you're too far from the state you selected. (Prior to a few months ago, it'd let you save and contribute to the smear.)

Close to the coast, it stops around Gulfport, but if you get 30 or 40 miles inland, I see unnamed roads in Mississippi with Louisiana on them almost to the Alabama line.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
CrackedLCD wrote:Ah, OK. How much of a priority should it be for us to go around and fix the state names on unnamed roads? Is it going to adversely affect routing?
As I go through coastal Mississippi doing cleanup, I delete the vast majority of them unless I can clearly see a road in the aerial, or there's some evidence of construction. They *never* have GPS tracks on them. A lot of them appear to be overgrown dirt paths, and some of them are creeks and small rivers. And the ones that seem to be legitimate roads usually have the correct state for some reason...maybe some of the no-name roads were flagged as no-name in the basemap and had a city/state attached to them.

I figure if I delete something that needs to be there, I keep a close enough eye on that area that I'll see a pave or a UR complaining about it.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Guess we need a "Highlight by State" field in Colour Highlights then! :)

---------
Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jwkilgore
Ok, I guess not all borders are affected. This is the first time I've seen it in large areas, but I don't edit in that many states.
jwkilgore
Send a message
Jason Kilgore
iPhone 5c

Post by jwkilgore
Most of the ones I've found are driveways and old field roads. Those get deleted. If it looks "public" I'll change to the correct state.
jwkilgore
Send a message
Jason Kilgore
iPhone 5c