The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by CrackedLCD
Since the OP issue was solved, let me tack on a slightly different type of roundabout to this thread. Check out this teeny tiny roundabout on an intersection in Mobile, AL. (The link is Bing, not Waze, for clarity.)

There are a few of these in this particular neighbourhood and I'm wondering if anything special should be done with them. The original map setup had each of intersections as "hand drawn" circles around these little nubs, with mixed directionality and missing names on two of the four segments. I went through and deleted all that faff and just connected them as regular intersections. Should I be going back and fixing these into actual real roundabouts in Waze?
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
jasonh300 wrote:I would ignore them completely. Otherwise, traffic going straight will get the instruction to take the 2nd exit, etc. These really are more like a median than a roundabout, and in that case, they don't qualify for splitting either.

It looks to me like traffic going straight wouldn't even have to veer much to the right to avoid it, and I would also guess that if it's a quiet area, most people turning left aren't going to keep to the right all the way around the median...they're probably going to shortcut it to the left.

Those were discussed a bit in this thread.
Cool, that's what I thought. If I come across any more, I'll be sure to turn them into standard intersections. It's been a while since I drove these roads with the "traffic calming devices" as CT DOT calls them, but I remember a few in another part of town that were difficult to get around, even in my tiny little car. I can't imagine a big SUV or a delivery truck going through without crashing over them!
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
Is it going to be common for someone to need to make a U-Turn there?
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by iainhouse
I'll chuck in my 8c-worth (that's exchange rates for you :) ). Feel free to ignore the foreigner! ;)

Even with no choices as to direction, the driver still has to manouvre the junction - including giving way to someone else who does decide to turn around here. I would tend to map it so that instructions actually match what's there.

Also, in this country at least, you will get URs saying "missing junction" if you don't map it - I've dealt with several myself.
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by Ikkabar
Is it possible that there will soon be a new housing development to the north or south, accessed off the roundabout? If there is then I would map it, otherwise I'd leave it as it is, and only map it if there are a lot of UR's for it.
Ikkabar
Send a message
Area Manager for North Co. Antrim & North Co. Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland - Twitter
"Mapping the world one segment at a time"
iPhone 4S (iOS 6.0) & Waze 3.6
If I'm not editing, I've got lost in Minecraft.. or Farming Simulator..

Post by invented
jasonh300 wrote:
CrackedLCD wrote:Since the OP issue was solved, let me tack on a slightly different type of roundabout to this thread. Check out this teeny tiny roundabout on an intersection in Mobile, AL. (The link is Bing, not Waze, for clarity.)

There are a few of these in this particular neighbourhood and I'm wondering if anything special should be done with them. The original map setup had each of intersections as "hand drawn" circles around these little nubs, with mixed directionality and missing names on two of the four segments. I went through and deleted all that faff and just connected them as regular intersections. Should I be going back and fixing these into actual real roundabouts in Waze?
I would ignore them completely. Otherwise, traffic going straight will get the instruction to take the 2nd exit, etc. These really are more like a median than a roundabout, and in that case, they don't qualify for splitting either.

It looks to me like traffic going straight wouldn't even have to veer much to the right to avoid it, and I would also guess that if it's a quiet area, most people turning left aren't going to keep to the right all the way around the median...they're probably going to shortcut it to the left.

Why would it say "2nd exit" in Waze 3.5 which says like "stay straight for [road]" ?
invented
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
CrackedLCD wrote:Since the OP issue was solved, let me tack on a slightly different type of roundabout to this thread. Check out this teeny tiny roundabout on an intersection in Mobile, AL. (The link is Bing, not Waze, for clarity.)

I would ignore them completely. Otherwise, traffic going straight will get the instruction to take the 2nd exit, etc. These really are more like a median than a roundabout, and in that case, they don't qualify for splitting either.

jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
invented wrote:Why would it say "2nd exit" in Waze 3.5 which says like "stay straight for [road]" ?
At a normal 4-way roundabout, it'll say "at the roundabout take the 1st exit" for a right turn...then 2nd exit to go straight, 3rd exit to turn left, and 4th exit for a U-turn.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I've never seen that behavior Alan. Not that I have many roundabouts to traverse. I've seen complaints in URs about the "second exit" on these minis.

Gonna have to build a test rig I guess. Or do you have a specific example?

---------
Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
This is my first time seeing that behavior. In your first link, it does give "2nd Exit" for southbound traffic wanting to turn left. But not in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th link.

However, at a larger roundabout here, it gives all the exits:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

What changes the behavior? Size of the roundabout?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message