Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by gerben
For the client, the city layer is only updated for tiles that had at least one edit during the last update cycle, so to get rid of it, every tile covered by the smudge needs an edit.
gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png

Post by GizmoGuy411
I can confirm that the "M" city label still shows on the (iPad) client maps in NW Ohio and moves to various places as you zoom in and out.

And yes I refreshed my map tiles too.
Photo Nov 27, 23 40 20-2.jpg
(113 KiB) Downloaded 1378 times
Using Color Highlighter, I could not find any "M" cities in the area either.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by iainhouse
skbun wrote:Would you suggest in that case just having all of the city polygons generated at tile update time (as I think it works on the World server)?
I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. The city layer is not updated when the tiles are. I don't think I've seen a City layer update since I joined Waze. Certainly there are city name errors that I corrected in my early days that are still showing on the client. I also completely named the village where I was on vacation in August and the city name & polygon still haven't appeared in either the client or editor.

Personally, I think it would all be far more maintainable if city names didn't come from the segments, but were in a separate landmark layer that is only accessible to AMs & CMs.

[EDIT] The forum ate this post the first time I made it. :) I see someone else has already suggested a city polygon layer [/EDIT]
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by jasonh300
I noticed first time I checked the editor this morning. I had done some experimental things with a couple of neighborhoods, thinking I'd get a quick update...then I forgot about them. Now, several months later, I get these giant neighborhood names on the map. It looks bad, so I undid that work on all but one of them. I hope we get another update soon.
AndyPoms wrote: Still appearing on the map are the neighborhood of "Blue Hills" (all segments removed over 6 months ago), and "Canaan" (the neightborhood in the town of North Canaan") which was removed (relabeled "North Canaan") so we could label the actual Town of Canaan as "Canaan" as it was never labeled in the first place. :x
Yeah, you can't get rid of those by removing all the segments. I have one here that's a CDP that nobody actually refers to, and I changed them all over a year ago. There's no more geometric outline, but the name still appears on the map. There's two city layers...one that we can have an effect on, and one that came from the basemap that's not dependent on segments with city names. There's more details about that in a very recent thread (yesterday) about the basemap import which has all the corresponding city names and even the smudges that have given us all grief.
skbun wrote:The offending 'city' is 'M, Ohio'. If you scroll around the borders, especially with the help of the WME highlighting tool if you are an AM, you'll be able to identify and reassign those segments.
This update got rid of the cities of G and B, Misisssippi in the suburbs of Gulfport and Biloxi. I suspect we've all done this...probably more with city names that begin with letters that can be touch-typed with the left hand. I've never had it happen with more than one typed letter. (For New Orleans, I type "ew" and hit enter, Metairie, "et", Kenner "er", etc.")
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
yippeekyaa wrote:Does the city layer also use the city in the alternate addresses? I have an incorrect city that I've removed all traces of in the addresses EXCEPT for the alternate address. It still shows up on the city layer.
Are you using the Colour Highlights script? If so, can the script detect and highlight that segment where the offending city is in the alternate field?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I just scanned along I-96 in Michigan looking for an issue someone complained about in the forums. As I went along, I found 3 different single letter cities within close view of the Interstate. I get the feeling these are going to be all over the place and we're going to be cleaning them up for a while.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
The basemap import was a one-time thing, and being that it was done for the U.S. in 2009, it was probably using the 2000 census data for the city layer. They're not going to be able to import another one without undoing all of the work the editors have done.

I'd say they could come in with just an import of the cities layer, however, in many cases it's wrong, or not practical and a lot of work has been done to fix those things also....work that would also probably be undone.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
skbun wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:I'd say they could come in with just an import of the cities layer, however, in many cases it's wrong, or not practical and a lot of work has been done to fix those things also....work that would also probably be undone.
Yeah, I was thinking 'just an import of the cities layer', if anything. But I agree that ultimately, probably the best we have even with large changes to fix is 'What we have on the roads layer', now what with enough editor's eyes on the maps. Would you suggest in that case just having all of the city polygons generated at tile update time (as I think it works on the World server)?
I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work that way. However, there has also been talk about wanting to get rid of the Country, State and City fields and just let the hidden layer handle all that, but allow the polygons to be editable by CMs. If we had such a thing, I'd be willing to be that the Champs could get the state and country polygons for the U.S. and Canada fixed within a week. (Same with the country polygons for ROTW.) In that case, the cities would have to be tackled on a case-by-case basis. This may just be a pipe-dream though. I don't know if it's feasible or not, but it's been suggested more than once.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
skbun wrote:"If the name of the city is less than three characters, and I'm being asked to create that city, throw an error and refuse to do it."
Only want to add that it should throw up the same type of error that you get if you try to hit Apply without actually filling in either the street or city field. It should not be an error that you get when you save...50 edits later.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Here's a good one...

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

I noticed "D'Iberville" on the map twice, really close together, so I turned on the City Layer and there's this extra polygon. Using Color Highlights, D'Iberville is in there twice.

Took me a little while to figure it out, but the font on the map puts the little cross at the top and bottom of the capital i and that's when I saw the difference. Someone had named about a dozen segments "D'LBERVILLE" (caps here so you can read it).
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message