City polygon layer has updated (NA)

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: City polygon layer has updated (NA)

Postby yippeekyaa » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:03 am

jasonh300 wrote:
yippeekyaa wrote:Does the city layer also use the city in the alternate addresses? I have an incorrect city that I've removed all traces of in the addresses EXCEPT for the alternate address. It still shows up on the city layer.

Are you using the Colour Highlights script? If so, can the script detect and highlight that segment where the offending city is in the alternate field?

Yes, using the script and can find no roads labelled with the incorrect city name. Lots of roads, nearly all in the area actually, that use it in the alternate address. If the script is capable of highlighting that alternate address city, i'm not seeing how. Here is a permalink to the area see what you can find. The incorrect city name is Flat Rock(2).

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-80.43 ... 3275379964
yippeekyaa

Postby gerben » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:09 pm

I am so glad I live in a small country... A year ago, we added all official cities to the map (600 or so) by naming a few segments. This took a few weeks between several CM's and AM's. After that, all wrong cities were deleted directly in the database by Waze, and the database has been locked to prevent the addition of new citynames. Since then, smudges and false names could only be added through Cartouche, which most editors did not know about.

Now that Cartouche is retired, there will be a final cleanup of the database, and we will never have a smudge again :D.
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

gerben wrote:I am so glad I live in a small country... A year ago, we added all official cities to the map (600 or so) by naming a few segments. This took a few weeks between several CM's and AM's. After that, all wrong cities were deleted directly in the database by Waze, and the database has been locked to prevent the addition of new citynames. Since then, smudges and false names could only be added through Cartouche, which most editors did not know about.

Now that Cartouche is retired, there will be a final cleanup of the database, and we will never have a smudge again :D.

Hmmm... :idea: That would be nice to do in a small state such as Connecticut...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby skbun » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:07 am

AndyPoms wrote:Hmmm... :idea: That would be nice to do in a small state such as Connecticut...

Yeah...unfortunately, it appears that allowNewCities is a property on a country, and doesn't exist on a state. They'd probably have to mess with the database internals to allow that to happen on a state level, below 'United States'. Not that I'd object if they did!

Code: Select all
{name:United States, geometry:null, leftHandTraffic:false,allowNewCities:true, id:235}
{name:California, isDefault:false, id:6, version:0, geometry:null}

The U.S. is the fifth largest country in the world by area, even without Alaska. Add Alaska in, and we're up to #4. :D Then you compare that to the Netherlands, which is the size of only Virginia, in area.

I'm jealous, Gerben. ;)

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby AndyPoms » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:50 am

skbun wrote:Yeah...unfortunately, it appears that allowNewCities is a property on a country, and doesn't exist on a state. They'd probably have to mess with the database internals to allow that to happen on a state level, below 'United States'. Not that I'd object if they did!
I was leaning more towards the automatic removal of a specific set of data (i.e. I can provide the official list of Cities & Towns, and Waze can removed everything not on that list from City & Alt Name fields)... The locking would be nice, but once we have the map correct, we can then easily see when new (incorrect) cities are added & just manually handle them...

skbun wrote:The U.S. is the fifth largest country in the world by area, even without Alaska. Add Alaska in, and we're up to #4. Then you compare that to the Netherlands, which is the size of only Virginia, in area.
Connecticut is even smaller... ;)
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby skbun » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:08 pm

AndyPoms wrote:I was leaning more towards the automatic removal of a specific set of data (i.e. I can provide the official list of Cities & Towns, and Waze can removed everything not on that list from City & Alt Name fields)... The locking would be nice, but once we have the map correct, we can then easily see when new (incorrect) cities are added & just manually handle them...

You know, I slept on this, and I thought of another completely trivial thing Waze could implement inside the NA city creation routine that would solve 90% of these problems, forever.

"If the name of the city is less than three characters, and I'm being asked to create that city, throw an error and refuse to do it."

Inside http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_short_place_names , here are all the cases in North America:
B, a village in central Ohio, United States (Can't even find its location Googling for it)
D, a river in Oregon, United States (Landmark, doesn't matter, but once listed as 'shortest river in the world', which is pretty cool)
Y, a settlement in Alaska, United States (Exists on segments, done)
Ai, a ghost town in Ohio, United States (Doesn't matter)

Oz, a community in Kentucky, United States (https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT - this one would need to be created on about three segments, and, done)
Ti, a settlement in Oklahoma, United States (https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT - again, create a few segments, and I think we're done here)
Yp, a desert in the western United States (Landmark, doesn't matter)

...and that's it. For that matter, there are only a couple hundred such places in the entire world, and THEY could probably be checked and created in a couple hours. Do a one time 'Delete any other CityIDs with two characters or less', and we're done here.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:11 am

skbun wrote:"If the name of the city is less than three characters, and I'm being asked to create that city, throw an error and refuse to do it."

Only want to add that it should throw up the same type of error that you get if you try to hit Apply without actually filling in either the street or city field. It should not be an error that you get when you save...50 edits later.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby skbun » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:42 am

jasonh300 wrote:Only want to add that it should throw up the same type of error that you get if you try to hit Apply without actually filling in either the street or city field. It should not be an error that you get when you save...50 edits later.

+1!

Ohhh, yes yes yes. Besides, at 'Apply' time for changing country, city, state, whatever, a bunch of checks for validity of a city name can be checked right there. Some I found are possible and shouldn't be, (like, < 3 characters, special characters, double spacing in a name...)...it could throw that error right then and there. You don't have to see what's in the database to know that those things are no-gos.

skbun

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:12 am

Here's a good one...

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

I noticed "D'Iberville" on the map twice, really close together, so I turned on the City Layer and there's this extra polygon. Using Color Highlights, D'Iberville is in there twice.

Took me a little while to figure it out, but the font on the map puts the little cross at the top and bottom of the capital i and that's when I saw the difference. Someone had named about a dozen segments "D'LBERVILLE" (caps here so you can read it).
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Scruffy151 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:35 am

jasonh300 wrote:Here's a good one...

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

I noticed "D'Iberville" on the map twice, really close together, so I turned on the City Layer and there's this extra polygon. Using Color Highlights, D'Iberville is in there twice.

Took me a little while to figure it out, but the font on the map puts the little cross at the top and bottom of the capital i and that's when I saw the difference. Someone had named about a dozen segments "D'LBERVILLE" (caps here so you can read it).

Opps. I thought I sent you a PM about this. I cleaned up all the regular streets, but there a few left on I-10 and I-110 that I don't have permissions to change.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor