Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Trucking specific

Post by
Would it be possible to mark roads as not suitable for heavy trucks? The route engine could then avoid these road sections during the search. Similar to avoiding Toll ways.
This would make Waze a nice navigation tool for truck drivers.

POSTER_ID:12261015

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
A "truck mode" been requested several times... I've pushed to have any potential future "no trucks" tag in the hands of higher level editors (AMs with over 100K edits and CMs) because I can see a serious potential for abuse - Wazers just marking "no trucks" on their residential street because they don't like it when a truck drives by, or not correctly interpreting the signs (i.e. "No Thru Trucks" does not equal "No Trucks"). I've also pushed for input from those with Class A & B (Commercial) Drivers Licenses in creating the rules.

Full disclosure, I have a Connecticut Class B CDL.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
CBenson wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:
CBenson wrote:What I think would be best, would be the ability to input, save and share individual road preferences. That way truckers (or any other class of drivers) could develop their own list of roads to avoid and share it with other drivers. Each group of drivers could maintain their own data.
An editor/diagnostic nightmare!
The idea would be to keep the data out of the general waze map.
A simple "No Trucks" flag would be a good start - like on (most) parkways in the US... And it won't interfere with Wazers that don't set their client to "Truck Mode"... We would need a little icon of a truck to appear in the Map Issue reports to indicate that the reporter had their client in "Truck Mode".

Past that, I think it would be great to have, BUT way too complicated to deal with things like vehicle height/width/weight, etc...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
attheyard wrote:Not sure why truckers would need this. There are already very good maps for truckers for this purpose exactly. I'm not a trucker but my guess is there are GPS apps for this too.
One word: POINTS... :D and the truck maps aren't updated that often, and don't have live traffic & other Waze features...
attheyard wrote:Probably would help to get some trucker input, but asking the majority of folks who only commute to help those who drive for a living sounds like the blind leading the sighted.
It will work both ways... The truckers will help the commuters (mainly on the highways) & the commuters will help the truckers (mainly on surface streets)... Truckers are constantly talking on the CB Radio mostly about nonsense, but when there is traffic they talk about what lane to be in to get around it, what the best way to go is (through or around it - and which way around it).

I drive all sorts of vehicles at work, from SUVs to vans to box trucks... I use Waze all the time... Just like using a regular GPS I still have to keep my eye out for bridge height signs, etc... The only difference is that the regular GPS won't route me on the parkway when it's set to truck mode, Waze will - until I select a different route (and stick to it, if I deviate it trys to put me on the parkway again).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by attheyard
Not sure why truckers would need this. There are already very good maps for truckers for this purpose exactly. I'm not a trucker but my guess is there are GPS apps for this too. Probably would help to get some trucker input, but asking the majority of folks who only commute to help those who drive for a living sounds like the blind leading the sighted.
attheyard
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CBenson
What I think would be best, would be the ability to input, save and share individual road preferences. That way truckers (or any other class of drivers) could develop their own list of roads to avoid and share it with other drivers. Each group of drivers could maintain their own data.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
dmcconachie wrote:
CBenson wrote:What I think would be best, would be the ability to input, save and share individual road preferences. That way truckers (or any other class of drivers) could develop their own list of roads to avoid and share it with other drivers. Each group of drivers could maintain their own data.
An editor/diagnostic nightmare!
The idea would be to keep the data out of the general waze map.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I guess my question is why can't waze implement a "road closed" feature? There are plenty of times where I just want waze routing to avoid a particular road for some reason. The question becomes can the routing engine ever take into account a personal preference to avoid a designated road.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
dmcconachie wrote:
CBenson wrote:The idea would be to keep the data out of the general waze map.
All good and well. Until one of them raises a UR with little or no explanation. Think of the clamour to disable cookie munching!
:lol: Well, of course. But we must have progress.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by darkneon
Sweet

Verzonden met Tapatalk op mijn Samsung Galaxy Note(GT-N7000).
darkneon
Send a message

Post by darkneon
darkneon wrote:Sweet, would also need weight limitations (total+p.axle), hight, width...

I drive my truck daily with Waze in Belgium, have drivers license C+E (truck up to 44 tons with trailer.

darkneon
Send a message