Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby mssusa » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:17 am

I get the pointer stuck when my machine is overloaded. Especially when there are many segments in the view or there is a very long segment (10s or 100s of km long). This was also the case with the old version

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Olestas » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:57 am

Shortly speaking - in current state and form House numbering is hard and unusable. Besides you have to check which way the road goes (A-B) all the time. Automatic numbering breaks everything too. Even and odd numbers are put on both sides all the time and mixed.
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby dgtlrift » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:44 pm

jondrush wrote:http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Loop_road#Loops
Video at the bottom is pretty clear.

<delete>Tnx - this clears up the issue and explains it very well.</delete>

Correction - the directions on the wiki don't match up to what the editor has. However, I was able to stumble around and get the editing of the divided loop, but now I can't save. It gives me an error on the street split, but doesn't actually tell me what the issue is.

Screen Shot 2012-11-20 at 1.09.25 PM.jpg
Cannot save changes
Screen Shot 2012-11-20 at 1.09.25 PM.jpg (115.4 KiB) Viewed 646 times
dgtlrift

Postby Daknife » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:55 pm

Often the only solution for such a loop is to delete it as one piece, save your changes and then redraw. It's one reason such loops are such a big pain is that once created in the system, you can't edit them, you can only delete them.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:57 pm

daknife wrote:Often the only solution for such a loop is to delete it as one piece, save your changes and then redraw. It's one reason such loops are such a big pain is that once created in the system, you can't edit them, you can only delete them.

There was already on this thread a second solution for that:
- create a new segment connected to that loop, with the exact same street and city
- click on both segments and bridge them
- now you can edit the loop :D
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Mike-1323 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:55 pm

davipt wrote:
daknife wrote:Often the only solution for such a loop is to delete it as one piece, save your changes and then redraw. It's one reason such loops are such a big pain is that once created in the system, you can't edit them, you can only delete them.

There was already on this thread a second solution for that:
- create a new segment connected to that loop, with the exact same street and city
- click on both segments and bridge them
- now you can edit the loop :D

I find that if I don't drag either the end point or a geometry node away from the recently bridged section then the save error appears. It is also necessary for me to save after bridging and pulling the bridged nodes apart or the save error occurs. So it is possible to fix loop segments but requires dealing with WME quirks.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager

Too little error checking on cities

Postby skbun » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:18 pm

This has been being discussed in various ways in other threads, but I wanted to put this here, so there's one place for Waze/the developers to look. (As a suffix to this, I'm not just putting these down as 'Look at how I can break the editor! I've actually had to fix real world cases of these problems.)

* City names with less than three characters are not rejected (Real world cases of such short names are exceedingly rare, but we get city smears all the time when people believe they've autocompleted a longer city name and haven't. See viewtopic.php?p=293748#p293748 (the problem) and viewtopic.php?p=295180#p295180 (possible solutions) for more on this.
* When the number of a city's streets is zero, a cityID is not deleted from the database (Related to above. If these don't get cleaned out, fat-finger errors can be reintroduced 'because that city DOES exist'.
* Spaces are not chopped from the middle of a city string (In other words, 'Federal Way' is not equal to 'Federal Way', but I can create a city with that name, and saving the latter will create a new CityID if it does not exist)
* Special characters are allowed in city names (e.g. $%,; ...) I suspect a couple select ones would want to be allowed like apostrophe, dashes...but as it is it looks like anything goes right now.
* 'The highlighted road is too far from the city it was added to' does not check altStreets for their cityIDs. I can add an alt street from anywhere in a state or country, in an alt street.
* In the United States, the state that the editor believes you are in is offered as a possible city. If I am in Washington, and start a city name with 'S', 'Washington' is given as an autocomplete. If I accept that, the cityID assigned is 100000040. I have to assume this is not what's wanted. (I've seen this sometimes, probably where a user was quickly tabbing around and didn't realize what they'd filled.) If there's a similar problem with countries on World, I can't see it because the infrastructure is being moved at the moment.
* I don't know how they got there, but there exist 'cities' in the database city names whose name is NULL or empty. I discovered this with the highlighter tool, when I saw two identical 'No City, State' entries in an area. One example is the altStreet on https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... s=61284239 whose cityID is 47991, not 999953. My guess is there are others on NA or world. I don't know if that might cause weird pollution behind the scenes.
* Please add more than six colors to the 'Cities' layer pallette. See viewtopic.php?p=293719#p293719 for more information.
* The Javascript console tells me when a new city has to be created. Can the user be alerted to it too, so they can be sure that they wanted to do that?

As always, thank you so much for reading!
Last edited by skbun on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby Timbones » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:36 pm

Skbun, you might want to send these issues directly to Waze Support...

via mobile
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby skbun » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Timbones wrote:Skbun, you might want to send these issues directly to Waze Support...

I took your suggestion and did so. Thank you!

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Re: Too little error checking on cities

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:44 pm

skbun wrote:* The Javascript console tells me when a new city has to be created. Can the user be alerted to it too, so they can be sure that they wanted to do that?

Cartouche used to do this when you were creating a new street/city combination (a segment inherits the properties of objects in the street database). I found it both slowed me down sometimes, but also saved me from entering a misspelled city or segment name.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor