Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Editing advice? Split road intersects & crosses unsplit road

Post by ZackTN
This major intersection in Nashville, Tennessee, USA has come into play in an editing conflict recently, and I'd like a crowdsourced opinion on what should be the solution.

Old Hickory Blvd (E-W State Rte 254) is a split road on the Waze map.
Franklin Rd (N-S US Hwy 31) is an unsplit road on the Waze map.

Currently on the Waze map, there is one single node where all three mapped roads cross. It seems to me there should be two. U-Turns are illegal from all directions, and it seems the decision to give it one node is being done to prevent the client from suggesting a U-Turn. However, the same could be accomplished by leaving an unnamed 15-meter-or-less segment of Franklin Rd on the map. Currently, the one node is causing the Old Hickory Blvd on the map to slightly veer off its route and intersect Franklin Rd at odd angles. There is no example in the Junction Style Guide to go by.

After several edits-and-reedits by me and another AM, a CM/L5 editor has locked the intersection, siding with the other editor, but I believe this is an incorrect solution. Permalink below.

Please offer advice.

Permalink:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-86.78 ... TTTTTTTTFT
ZackTN

POSTER_ID:3598295

Send a message
Area Manager, Nashville/Brentwood/Franklin/Mt. Juliet/Lebanon, Tennessee areas

Post by CBenson
The intersection looks fine to me.
zpb52 wrote:Currently, the one node is causing the Old Hickory Blvd on the map to slightly veer off its route and intersect Franklin Rd at odd angles.
I don't understand why this is a problem.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
The cutoff between "turn" and "stay/keep/exit" is a 45 degree deflection. I believe that the language in the Junction Style Guide is meant to suggest that angles near 45 degrees deflection (135 degrees from segment to segment) should be avoided as it is difficult to determine exactly what the angle is and thus what instruction you will cause. Thus, I don't think the language in the wiki is intended to mean that the angles should always be brought as close to 90 degrees as possible, but rather that they should be laid out so it is clear that they are under 135 degrees (where a "turn" instruction is desired). As long as the left turns from Old Hickory to Franklin are less than 135 degrees, the intersection should give proper turn instructions.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by ZackTN
CBenson wrote: I don't understand why this is a problem.
The junction style guide instructs editors to make intersections as close to 90 degrees as possible so the client will say "turn left" instead of "stay to the left" or "exit left"
ZackTN
Send a message
Area Manager, Nashville/Brentwood/Franklin/Mt. Juliet/Lebanon, Tennessee areas