California Highway 14 is broken

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

California Highway 14 is broken

Postby Borgholio » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:22 pm

I am revisiting an older thread where it appeared Highway 395 is broken on the road from Southern California to Mammoth Lakes, CA. I just saw an update request from a user who said that their client did not offer the 14 North as a path to get to Mammoth. I double checked and he's right. I'm currently in the San Fernando Valley and all three routes it gives me take me 60 miles out of the way to the 210 -> 395 instead of the much shorter route via the 14 -> 395.

Setting various start locations from Santa Clarita to Mojave and ending in Mammoth Lakes seems to indicate there is an issue between Mojave and Inyokern that forces Waze to route east along the 58 instead of taking the straight shot up the 14. The issue persists as far as Rosamond. Once you start in Mojave north of the 58, it seems to route normally.

I noticed that portions of the 14 alternate between major and minor highway. I'm fixing that, setting it all to major highway. That might be part of the issue if Waze keeps thinking minor highway is significantly slower than a major highway or freeway.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio

Re: California Highway 14 is broken

Postby Borgholio » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:08 pm

Not sure what you mean by N or S... you mean the labels in the road name? The road directions looked fine.

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio

Postby Borgholio » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:39 pm

jemay wrote:Correct the label / direction is missing on both sides, so like the segment identified does not have State Rte 14 N it only has State Rte 14 - https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... s=67926141

Also further up - https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=2&lat ... s=67928570

So both side just stats State Rte 14 without the N or the S

Thanks

I'm not sure that would be the problem...going from Mammoth down to LA is fine, it's just going up that's the issue. If the label were the issue, wouldn't it affect both directions? Also, I changed all sections of "minor highway" to "Major highway". That should have done it. We might want to wait until the next map update to check if it worked or not.

Image Image
Borgholio

Postby Borgholio » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:42 pm

mjhb wrote:I was about to report the same problem - Waze not utilizing CA14 as the shortest route between LA & Mammoth Lakes.

Interesting that Waze WILL use CA14 to route from Rosamond to Bishop, but NOT from the SAME starting point in Rosamond to Mammoth Lakes (just 40+ miles beyond Bishop).

I reviewed all of the segments between Mojave and the CA14/US395 jct near Inyokern and don't see anything obviously wrong - all are "Major Highway" (except through town in Mojave).

I also looked at the section of US395 that Waze is using to bypass CA14 and noticed that several sections have the "level" set to a value higher than zero. Does this influence Waze's routing algorithms?

I would LOVE to fix this, but don't know understand Waze's routing algorithms well enough to identify which segments are causing the problem and which parameters to change.

I don't think level has anything to do with it. I saw that a large portion of the 14 between Mojave and the 395 were labelled "minor highway". I suspect Waze is avoiding that section of the 14 because it feels a minor highway is slower than a major highway or a freeway. I changed the whole route to major highway, so that should have an impact.

Image Image
Borgholio

Postby Borgholio » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Well looks like the changes I made between Mojave and the 395 fixed the issue...and revealed another issue. Waze now avoids the 14 between Santa Clarita and Mojave, but it will route me up through Bakersfield to the 58 to the section of the 14 I just fixed.

Well...gonna have to look at the southern stretch of the 14 now.

Image Image
Borgholio

Postby Borgholio » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:54 pm

Just posting to report victory! Changing Highway 14 from minor highway to major highway fixed the issue. Waze will now route straight up the 14 to the 395 without any funkiness along the way.

Image Image
Borgholio

Postby jemay » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:20 am

I was checking the route, can you also make sure the N or S are on the appropriate sections.
Droid RAZR MAXX HD - Verizon - Waze Ver. 3.7.8.0 | CM for US|Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices
jemay
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby jemay » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Correct the label / direction is missing on both sides, so like the segment identified does not have State Rte 14 N it only has State Rte 14 - https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... s=67926141

Also further up - https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=2&lat ... s=67928570

So both side just stats State Rte 14 without the N or the S

Thanks
Droid RAZR MAXX HD - Verizon - Waze Ver. 3.7.8.0 | CM for US|Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices
jemay
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby mjhb » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:55 pm

I was about to report the same problem - Waze not utilizing CA14 as the shortest route between LA & Mammoth Lakes.

Interesting that Waze WILL use CA14 to route from Rosamond to Bishop, but NOT from the SAME starting point in Rosamond to Mammoth Lakes (just 40+ miles beyond Bishop).

I reviewed all of the segments between Mojave and the CA14/US395 jct near Inyokern and don't see anything obviously wrong - all are "Major Highway" (except through town in Mojave).

I also looked at the section of US395 that Waze is using to bypass CA14 and noticed that several sections have the "level" set to a value higher than zero. Does this influence Waze's routing algorithms?

I would LOVE to fix this, but don't know understand Waze's routing algorithms well enough to identify which segments are causing the problem and which parameters to change.
mjhb

Postby mjhb » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Thanks! I tested on Wed & Thu and it worked.
mjhb

Return to Navigation & Routing