Road Closed - Waze becomes useless

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Road Closed - Waze becomes useless

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:49 pm

DerekFrance wrote:Is there some way to tell Waze when a road is temporarily closed?

Is there some way to tell Waze to avoid a given road on the route it proposes?

Not from the app, no. Did all 3 alternate routes use the same closed route, too?
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:17 am

DerekFrance wrote:Is there an easy way to get to the alternate routes when in the middle of one?

Main menu->Routes.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Road Closed - Waze becomes useless

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:48 pm

davipt wrote:
andrewkjs wrote:+1 I've also been annoyed with only being given one route for destinations that are a few KM away when I press the Routes button, even when I know that the single route is closed / unavailable.

Or even worst in my case, it always gives me the last 500m route that is never the one I take every single day to arrive home,

Remember that you have to drive the routes Waze wants you to in order for it to route you most efficiently. It likely doesn't have the right data for the route it is recommending yet.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby andrewkjs » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:05 am

davipt wrote:Unfortunately according to my tests and usage waze provides only a single route when the destination is nearby enough, which makes this road-close case even worse. Waze should always provide three alternatives, even if the 2nd and 3rd one may be, according to the client algorithms, much worse than the first one. Give me the alternatives, let me choose where to go.

+1 I've also been annoyed with only being given one route for destinations that are a few KM away when I press the Routes button, even when I know that the single route is closed / unavailable.
Area Manager: Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.
Waze Malaysia: FB | G+ | Forum | Wiki (work in progress)
andrewkjs
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 am

lakeyboy wrote:I think Road Closures should be able to be added on the website. My idea would be for the Map Editor to have a new Road Closure tab or option where you can highlight road segments which are going to be closed, and set the local time of when the road will close and re-open. This information would get transmitted to the app separately from map tiles so it's available to Waze users ASAP.

For example, in my city a couple of weeks ago a whole 40km freeway was shut down so they could hold a cycling event. It would have been nice to go into the editor, highlight the whole freeway, set the closure times and for Waze to not route you onto that road. And the app should give you a warning when it detects a closed road, for example when that freeway is normally the fastest route, so you know why Waze won't route you down that freeway at a particular time.

I can't see this being implemented well in the app itself as you can't put a road closed icon on a road you can't drive on. Perhaps a "road closure in area" option in the app and you can type what the closure is.

This is being worked on... http://www.waze.com/blog/waze-wishes-bo ... -closures/ If you search the forum for "marathon", there are some more details... Despite the UK Area & Country Managers practically begging for this system for use in the last Olympics, it was not used.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:32 pm

jasonh300 wrote:I've experienced this where Waze didn't see any other route besides the one that was closed. In my case, the alternate route would be 10+ miles out of the way and Waze isn't ever going to offer that as an alternate.

I've experienced this where the three alternative routes all used the closed road and a valid alternative route would be going around the block. (Of course in that situation I didn't have any problem finding my way home.)
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby darkneon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:24 am

Somewhere in the future there will be an option to report closed roads so Waze will avoid it.

Verzonden met Tapatalk op mijn Samsung Galaxy Note(GT-N7000).
ImageImage
Waze Ingress Theme: http://goo.gl/zKdXW Perfect for at night
darkneon

Re: Re: Road Closed - Waze becomes useless

Postby darkneon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:44 pm

petervdveen wrote:Normaly there are deviation signs on the side of the road, right?

You wanna try that theory out in Belgium? I dare you :twisted:

Verzonden met Tapatalk op mijn Samsung Galaxy Note(GT-N7000).
ImageImage
Waze Ingress Theme: http://goo.gl/zKdXW Perfect for at night
darkneon

Postby davipt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:57 am

I heard (and there's already a link) that there will be a feature for wazers to report a closed road and after several reports have the road out of scope for routing.

Besides that I have literally ¢2:

1. for short routes it's typical for waze to not provide any alternative, making it impossible to get a route that avoids that closed road. I would like waze client to try hard and *always* provide three routes, even if the 2nd and 3rd are, from the client perspective, way worse than the first one. It's a pain to see the closed road and have waze still trying to go back there even when driving around it.

2. I've already suggested a feature similar to the one being in the works, but for private use. My suggestion was basically to replicate the favorites concept (copy/paste the code and screens) on the client as a "blacklist" list. The user can pick up segments and just add them to a blacklist and then have the client route around them. This way I can pick a dozen points in the map that I want to avoid, for whatever reason: closed roads (I'll remove from the blacklist when it's open again), roads I want to avoid for security reasons, roads I want to avoid so I can go somewhere else to have some fun, etc. The idea is that *I* want to avoid the road and I have *my reasons*, but the road is perfectly valid as a route for other people. Of course if the road is to be avoided for everyone I'd set it accordingly on the editor. I do this today with a lot of favorites "via xyz" and using the stop points, but that's a pain to setup every time I start driving.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:26 pm

DG567 wrote:+1 For 'Road blocked' and 'waypoint' functions.

Personally I don't think Waze will really be taken seriously without them. I love Waze but always have another satnav available for these contingencies.

Why? I'd rather use the stop point hack to detour when needed and wait for the proper feature than use broken and outdated navigation systems (I'm looking at you google) that here in Portugal is full of major mistakes sending me to one way streets, bus only ramps (with heavy fines if the police is around), new major streets not existing for months or even years for lesser streets, and ridiculous names on certain freeways. There is a freeway south of Lisbon that ends at the bridge and north of the bridge is another type of highway and different name, but google decided to call the same name everywhere. Sad.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Next

Return to Waze App