Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Trucking specific

Post by pascalmm
Would it be possible to mark roads as not suitable for heavy trucks? The route engine could then avoid these road sections during the search. Similar to avoiding Toll ways.
This would make Waze a nice navigation tool for truck drivers.
pascalmm

POSTER_ID:12261015

Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
Not directly related, but if the client supported a separate Truck, Car, Bike, Walking, Railroad flag, some of the Wazers using public transport or walking, could continue using their fave app without polluting the rest of the data.

Using this, Waze can safely discard the 'public transport' & walking data but still attribute the user points, milestones & edit area based on the 'rides'.

Waze could also then collect the 'averages' data differently for Bikers, Truckers and normal commuters by car, or at least separate trucks from Cars & Bikes.
Heavily loaded trucks pollute data averages for long-hauls, due to slower averages up hills or small inclines. Trucks also stop at compulsory Weigh Stations, where commuters don't.
Similarly, bikers pollute suburban commuter data by lane splitting on freeways & highways.

I'm not sure if truckers likely prefer the 'Major Routes' on long hauls, but I'm sure most of them have fixed routes that they use or are required to use if they are not privateers & part of a larger corporation. These will generally be the shorter (supposedly faster) routes, even if tolls apply.
All in-all, with some collected 'unique' averages with all stops etc. included, should easilyy show better or faster routes for specific vehicle types.

Something as simple as this can be done without relying on extra input from editors, but would obviously require Waze to store extra segment averages for different vehicle types & where data is absent, they would simply use existing averages.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by dmcconachie
CBenson wrote:The idea would be to keep the data out of the general waze map.
All good and well. Until one of them raises a UR with little or no explanation. Think of the clamour to disable cookie munching!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
CBenson wrote:What I think would be best, would be the ability to input, save and share individual road preferences. That way truckers (or any other class of drivers) could develop their own list of roads to avoid and share it with other drivers. Each group of drivers could maintain their own data.
An editor/diagnostic nightmare!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
I wouldn't hold your breath!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dknight212
It would at least help editors if we could distinguish reports from truck drivers. I've often seen no turn reports where there is a width or weight limit but no restrictions on cars.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
dknight212
Send a message

Post by darkneon
attheyard wrote:Not sure why truckers would need this. There are already very good maps for truckers for this purpose exactly. I'm not a trucker but my guess is there are GPS apps for this too. Probably would help to get some trucker input, but asking the majority of folks who only commute to help those who drive for a living sounds like the blind leading the sighted.
I am a Trucker.
Het Waze? Well for all the same reasons others use Waze...

Oh and truck nav sets out apps are way too expensive and still have tons of wrong routes

===========================================

Verzonden met Tapatalk op mijn Samsung Galaxy Note(GT-N7000) running Android 4.0.4
darkneon
Send a message

Post by darkneon
Maybe use 2 icons then?

a small lorry icon to indicate that+3.5t cannot/not allowed to pass/enter

And

A big truck to indicate that only +7.5t not allowed/cannot enter but smaller trucks/lorry can

This should atleast be there to avoid unnecessary detours for the small trucks

Verzonden met Tapatalk op mijn Samsung Galaxy Note(GT-N7000).
darkneon
Send a message