Trucking specific

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Trucking specific

Postby darkneon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Maybe use 2 icons then?

a small lorry icon to indicate that+3.5t cannot/not allowed to pass/enter

And

A big truck to indicate that only +7.5t not allowed/cannot enter but smaller trucks/lorry can

This should atleast be there to avoid unnecessary detours for the small trucks

Verzonden met Tapatalk op mijn Samsung Galaxy Note(GT-N7000).
ImageImage
Waze Ingress Theme: https:///zKdXW Perfect for at night
darkneon

Postby CBenson » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:55 pm

I guess my question is why can't waze implement a "road closed" feature? There are plenty of times where I just want waze routing to avoid a particular road for some reason. The question becomes can the routing engine ever take into account a personal preference to avoid a designated road.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:01 pm

CBenson wrote:The idea would be to keep the data out of the general waze map.

All good and well. Until one of them raises a UR with little or no explanation. Think of the clamour to disable cookie munching!
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby Kuhlkatz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:22 pm

Not directly related, but if the client supported a separate Truck, Car, Bike, Walking, Railroad flag, some of the Wazers using public transport or walking, could continue using their fave app without polluting the rest of the data.

Using this, Waze can safely discard the 'public transport' & walking data but still attribute the user points, milestones & edit area based on the 'rides'.

Waze could also then collect the 'averages' data differently for Bikers, Truckers and normal commuters by car, or at least separate trucks from Cars & Bikes.
Heavily loaded trucks pollute data averages for long-hauls, due to slower averages up hills or small inclines. Trucks also stop at compulsory Weigh Stations, where commuters don't.
Similarly, bikers pollute suburban commuter data by lane splitting on freeways & highways.

I'm not sure if truckers likely prefer the 'Major Routes' on long hauls, but I'm sure most of them have fixed routes that they use or are required to use if they are not privateers & part of a larger corporation. These will generally be the shorter (supposedly faster) routes, even if tolls apply.
All in-all, with some collected 'unique' averages with all stops etc. included, should easilyy show better or faster routes for specific vehicle types.

Something as simple as this can be done without relying on extra input from editors, but would obviously require Waze to store extra segment averages for different vehicle types & where data is absent, they would simply use existing averages.
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:24 pm

dmcconachie wrote:
CBenson wrote:The idea would be to keep the data out of the general waze map.

All good and well. Until one of them raises a UR with little or no explanation. Think of the clamour to disable cookie munching!

:lol: Well, of course. But we must have progress.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby attheyard » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:36 am

Not sure why truckers would need this. There are already very good maps for truckers for this purpose exactly. I'm not a trucker but my guess is there are GPS apps for this too. Probably would help to get some trucker input, but asking the majority of folks who only commute to help those who drive for a living sounds like the blind leading the sighted.
attheyard
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Re: Trucking specific

Postby darkneon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:58 am

attheyard wrote:Not sure why truckers would need this. There are already very good maps for truckers for this purpose exactly. I'm not a trucker but my guess is there are GPS apps for this too. Probably would help to get some trucker input, but asking the majority of folks who only commute to help those who drive for a living sounds like the blind leading the sighted.

I am a Trucker.
Het Waze? Well for all the same reasons others use Waze...

Oh and truck nav sets out apps are way too expensive and still have tons of wrong routes

===========================================

Verzonden met Tapatalk op mijn Samsung Galaxy Note(GT-N7000) running Android 4.0.4
ImageImage
Waze Ingress Theme: https:///zKdXW Perfect for at night
darkneon

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:17 pm

attheyard wrote:Not sure why truckers would need this. There are already very good maps for truckers for this purpose exactly. I'm not a trucker but my guess is there are GPS apps for this too.
One word: POINTS... :D and the truck maps aren't updated that often, and don't have live traffic & other Waze features...

attheyard wrote:Probably would help to get some trucker input, but asking the majority of folks who only commute to help those who drive for a living sounds like the blind leading the sighted.
It will work both ways... The truckers will help the commuters (mainly on the highways) & the commuters will help the truckers (mainly on surface streets)... Truckers are constantly talking on the CB Radio mostly about nonsense, but when there is traffic they talk about what lane to be in to get around it, what the best way to go is (through or around it - and which way around it).

I drive all sorts of vehicles at work, from SUVs to vans to box trucks... I use Waze all the time... Just like using a regular GPS I still have to keep my eye out for bridge height signs, etc... The only difference is that the regular GPS won't route me on the parkway when it's set to truck mode, Waze will - until I select a different route (and stick to it, if I deviate it trys to put me on the parkway again).
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Website, Community, General