Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

Postby fvwazing » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:12 am

So... would its assumed popularity justify an extra field in settings, an extra calculation in fuelpricing (and another complication, another source of usererrors at that)?

[edit]
Aaargh! I just realize that there will not be ONE bonuscard involved but MANY. 5c here, 8c there. Ugh. Guess my answer to my own question.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:31 am

fvwazing wrote:So... would its assumed popularity justify an extra field in settings, an extra calculation in fuelpricing (and another complication, another source of usererrors at that)?

[edit]
Aaargh! I just realize that there will not be ONE bonuscard involved but MANY. 5c here, 8c there. Ugh. Guess my answer to my own question.

I wasn't saying that we should add it to the app... Waze can't do everything... What would Waze do when I get a free soda with fillup?
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Instigater » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Why do we have only one Gas station operator Icon on map and it is not even a gas station but office of that Operator?

Please add a possibility to display ALL Gas stations as icons like Police, Car crash, traffic jam, other wazers, etc.

Community Coordinator: Latvia
LV community: Operācija "Meži" - saraujam!
Other communities: Take the challenge! Go green! Improve map of your country and show us the progress!
Instigater
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby porubcan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:10 am

Instigater wrote:Why do we have only one Gas station operator Icon on map and it is not even a gas station but office of that Operator?

Please add a possibility to display ALL Gas stations as icons like Police, Car crash, traffic jam, other wazers, etc.

Seems more like paid ad, not Gas Station.
Image Image Image
SK Country Coordinator, SK Country Manager, Global Champ, Android Beta Tester
Waze 4.0.1.1 on HTC One M9, Android 6.0 @ white Škoda Octavia RS Combi
porubcan
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Olestas » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:37 pm

How will the map look if more paid ads appear simultaneously? Will we be able to disable this or somehow limit? I am afraid that map will be unusable and laggy.
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby porubcan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:30 pm

I think there is a limit set for number of ads displayed on screen in one moment. but waze staff or champs know better
Image Image Image
SK Country Coordinator, SK Country Manager, Global Champ, Android Beta Tester
Waze 4.0.1.1 on HTC One M9, Android 6.0 @ white Škoda Octavia RS Combi
porubcan
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby tallyg8tor » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:05 pm

There is a gas station near me that is in the long location on the map. I believe that its GPS coordinates were calculated when the data was imported, and incorrect house numbers led to it being incorrect in the Waze gas station database.

I have since fixed the house numbers, but it still shows up in the old, incorrect location. I am guessing that I either have to wait for it to be updated or that new editing feature to be added for the US.
tallyg8tor

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:57 pm

tallyg8tor wrote:I have since fixed the house numbers, but it still shows up in the old, incorrect location. I am guessing that I either have to wait for it to be updated or that new editing feature to be added for the US.

In the US, we have no currently ability to effect gas station adds or changes. We hope someday... but because Waze and a 3rd party are "tied" together, I am unsure how they may go about giving us this ability.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:04 pm

olestas wrote:How will the map look if more paid ads appear simultaneously? Will we be able to disable this or somehow limit? I am afraid that map will be unusable and laggy.

We've been told that no more than 3 paid ads will appear on the screen at once to avoid clutter.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana or Mississippi Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Twister-UK » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:53 pm

Has the price reporting functionality just been given a behind the scenes tweak? Every set of prices I submitted today was acknowledged in the client, not by the usual message, but instead by "Your price will be posted once confirmed with other Wazers", which I've never seen before.

Whilst the idea of not posting prices until they've been confirmed seems like a good idea (a few times I've seen completely incorrect prices locally, all appearing to come from the same user...), I think there needs to be some tweaking to the implementation. Based on the client behaviour today, other than that text at the bottom of the price submission screen, there's no other feedback given to the user that their submitted prices are awaiting confirmation, so if you're in an area with a whole bunch of stations and you've forgotten which once you've already submitted that day, you can't then select a station and see that you were the most recent update - until your prices are confirmed, the station details show up exactly the same as before you made your earlier submission, so you might end up trying to resubmit in the belief that you hadn't sibmitted to that station already, or that your earlier submission didn't make it. It'd be useful if the client could mark the stations somehow to show if we've already submitted prices today...

One other thing about this feature-if no-one else confirms the new prices, do they just get lost or do they get posted anyway after a while? I'm thinking that if prices *have* to get confirmed before they're used, some stations could end up with very out of date pricing, especially if by the time the next Wazer passes the station, the prices have changed leaving them unable to confirm. If their updated prices then get put in the confirmation queue, and the prices then change again, will the station ever get updated?
L4 AM for NW London and Shetland Islands - HTC One M8/Android 5.0.1
Waze App 3.9.9.0, not about to switch to 4.x any time soon...
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork and Chrome Web Store
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App