Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Removable speed cams and those who guard them...

Post by aep_det
Hi!

On the roads of Latvia there are many removable speed cameras and each is guarded by a person in the car who uses Waze, too...

Here in Latvia Waze users use Police icon to show removable speed cameras and those who guard at the same moment deletes every entry therefore Waze becomes useful. It is needless use Speed camera as the removable speed cameras change the location.

What could be the solution? Ban those guardians who uses Waze only for deleting other people entry, they will re-register...

Janis
aep_det

POSTER_ID:5269123

Send a message

Post by aep_det
But if every user push "Thanks" button and it could count as "there really is police or radar" and one person would be helpful to delete it.
I mean - 3 "thanks" must be equal as 3 "police is not here" button. Easy!
aep_det
Send a message

Post by aep_det
Where should I write this problem that those who work under Waze, could accept my claim? To whom?

Somehow I don't believe that they read every forum post :)
aep_det
Send a message

Post by aep_det
Thank You for Your answer!

Yes, there might be some users who deletes when do not see or on purpose but those guards every ten minutes take a ride to delete "Police" on both sides.

I didn't understand last chapter of Your post, daknife.

By the way, there is pretty funny situation with speed cameras in Latvia - private company owns those speed cameras and 35% is their profit from every fine.
aep_det
Send a message

Post by aep_det
Yeah... Double-dealing.

I don't think that Waze deletes those entries from wazers about police because there are no such legal way in our laws to forbid, for example, that somebody stands with his umbrella and cover speed camera etc. :) Just don't touch.

But, for example, I am now a 3 star user - why does my report isn't counting higher level than user's who hasn't done anything more than just deleting other reports!?
aep_det
Send a message

Post by aep_det
Starting 18th of December speed cameras are gone from the roads of Latvia due to the breach of contract. That cancels the problem of the guards which get paid by model - more violator, more money for You!

But for future days... I really don't know the system of Waze. Maybe there is already such a system that user with a good reputation is higher than user with no such reputation, for example, that 2-3-4 star user can add police and one user with no stars could be useless to delete it.

If there is no such system.... :evil:
aep_det
Send a message

Post by Daknife
The problem with this claim is that they have to be actively navigating past the reported location in order to get the "Not There" button to clear it. I'm thinking it's more likely that there are Wazers who if they don't see a police car are marking it as "Not There". Because to do as you indicate they would have to circle around each time someone makes a report to get the new report to pop-up. And if there are very many Wazers in Latvia that could quickly get expensive, fuel and time wise.

Even if they could just sit ahead of the camera with a planned route set to cover the camera they would still need to be with-in 2000 meters of the camera to get the pop-up. In which case you could make the report before the "guard" vehicle and they wouldn't get the warning.

I have a question for you, what is the legality of reporting such cams? Could there be a legal issue due to the laws there that would prompt Waze to simply time out all such reports quickly so as to not get in legal trouble. Or could it be simply a lack of users that allows the reports to time out quickly due to no verification reports.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
My last question was just wondering if perhaps the reports were simply set on a quick time out to auto clear due to legal requirements found in the laws there. Waze certainly has to be careful when extending support of their app to additional countries.

And as to private companies being involved with the camera systems, that's the normal set up here in the states as well (though the percentages may be different). And one of the big complaints about the cameras is that as there is a monetary incentive to the companies as well as the cities for getting more citations, some of the companies have taken the initiative to encourage the cities to shorten the yellow light time to dangerously short periods in order to ensure a steady flow of citations. (It's been proven in multiple studies that longer yellow lights will reduce both accidents and red-light violations, and that shortening the length of the yellow light actually increases accidents.) They similarly fudge the speed at which citations are issued as well in order to maintain a high flow of citations. In the US they know that a high percentage of people will just pay the fine rather than take the time to try and fight a ticket for speeding that proved they were going under the speed limit. The companies know that any who do fight will win and get the ticket tossed out, but that most will just pay to avoid the hassle of going to court to fight the ticket.

Thus the monetary incentive becomes the primary purpose for these devices, rather than safety. And multiple instances of lights being shortened, and false speed citations have been found and documented.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by OldGnome
I can't see any way to beat this kind of use of Waze. After all, the strength of crowd-sourced data is also its weakness - the information can be used for good or for ill.

I just try to drive approximately the same speed as traffic around me, or about the speed limit when I am alone on the road.
OldGnome
Send a message