Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Suggestion: Roadworks UK sub-forum

Post by
Recently I've been involved in or come across several problems related to long-term road closures caused by roadworks. The problem is that there are quite a few people editing the maps now - and it can be difficult for us to know who has done what and why. There are several potential problems:
  • An editor may disconnect a road that is closed for several months. Someone else may come along, not realise why it has been disconnected and re-connect it, or make other changes, or simply waste time trying to work out why it's disconnected.
  • We don't all have great memories - I can't even remember where I left mine ;) . We might make an alteration that should be there for 3 months and not remember to come back and fix it.
  • Not everyone stays with Waze forever. (Traitors :evil: ). There are areas of the map covered in the names of editors who haven't touched it for months or years - names I've never heard of, but some of you will recognise. How many un-reverted changes have they left behind?
  • Closures may end early and be noticed by someone other than the original editor.
  • The editor who originally finds the problem may not have rights to make necessary changes or may lose them. (In my case, I initiated some alterations and FTW near the Barbican in Central London after finding a UR there. But since then my editing rights for that area have been lost.)
So what I would like to suggest is that we have a UK sub-forum where we can record roadworks that have needed a temporary change to the map. If our updates get quicker, there are only going to be more of these.

The topic would be titled with the location of the roadworks. We could, perhaps, prepend [PENDING], [IN PROGRESS] or [COMPLETED] to the start of the OP title to help organise them. The original post could also be updated with a summary of progress.

Each topic would contain as much information as possible including things like:
  • Description of the roadworks
  • Dates of closures/alterations
  • Any available links to web sites with details of the works
  • Any Feed The Waze notices set up
We could also use the Livemap to post a UR at the location with a link to the relevant topic. In that way, when you come across a user UR caused by roadworks that are already known about and being dealt with, you don't have to search around to find the reason for the user UR.

I don't know how useful this will be countrywide. I certainly think it will be useful here in London, where we have several very active AMs overlapping and plenty of new users coming to edit the maps.

I will follow up this post with a sample of what I'm thinking of. I would greatly appreciate your comments.

POSTER_ID:9133856

Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

It would actually be nice to be able to add a "closure" on the map and the reason why it is there so that potential future editor can see why a change was made and when it is due to change back.

But then it would also be nice to win a multi roll over Euro-millions lottery!

I suspect the latter will happen sooner!

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

At least the sub-forum has been created correctly, unlike the Unlock Requests sub-forum... :D

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
I think we could give it a try. If it doesn't work, we can always delete the forum again.

Edit: I think we should be clear that the forum would be only for roadworks for which the map has been updated - i.e. at lasting for at least two map update cycles, currently around three weeks(?). It should not be a place to list overnight road closures or roadworks of short duration.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by dknight212
I'm with you Iain.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dknight212
Can I suggest a massive sticky sitting above the forum? ;-)

dknight212
Send a message

Post by dknight212
We would need to be quite selective over which roadworks went into the map. But at least this would be transparent.

dknight212
Send a message

Post by dknight212
So the question is do we want to do this via the forum or a document (wiki or google doc)?

What are the views?
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dknight212
and while we're on general London notes, someone (who I will not mention in public) has reset a lot of turns in London, I'm working on tracking them all down but directions will be off for quite a while.
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dknight212
xteejx wrote:While we're on the subject, Alie St in E London was dc by me. https://world.waze.com/editor/?lat=51.5 ... TTTTTTTTFT
Waze sent me there Sunday, serious building work, road looks like it'll be, and has been closed for quite some time. Just so Iain and woodvale you're aware :)
Can one of you lot lock this before some idiot comes along and joins it up.
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dknight212
Patience Iain, patience.
dknight212
Send a message