Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Waze Plugins, rules?, official policy etc.

Post by Dennis_Halmstad
Hi.
Im currently developing a chrome plugin. (it will be released official shortly, today its in a public beta stage in the Swedish community).
I feel that its strange that there are no official policy and rules, and my feeling when communicating with waze officials is that there is no official rules as long as u don't use non allowed third party information...

But with the post from waze at 2012-11-15, http://www.waze.com/blog/community-buil ... p-editing/
i felt that waze encouraged this kind of contributions.

What i would like to see is,
a clear official policy with rules. (what is allowed, what isent, how to deploy...)
a basic set of functions (a plugin should control the WME version and only load if its a tested version)
a forum part where plugins can be found. (so all can find them easy, and developers can share and help each other, and maybe get some answers from Waze dev)

Dennis
Dennis_Halmstad

POSTER_ID:1483952

Send a message

Post by Dennis_Halmstad
exactly.

The one i am developing is being released via chrome webstore, mainly so i have some kind of control over versions and if some function don't work or becomes disallowed i can remove it and it will be updated to all users.
Dennis_Halmstad
Send a message

Post by Dennis_Halmstad
Timbones wrote:
Out of interest, what does your script do?

Edit: I found your script, which looks like an aid for looking up addresses and entering them into the editor. We have a similar script for the UK.
It started out like so, a easy way to name city's to prevent smudged city's. But now it's a secondary function. It creates a context menu, With macros. Making it much easier to edit many segments, quicker. (and every macro will have a key shortcut.) more info to come when it's ready for a bigger user base, but pm me if u want to beta test it.
Dennis_Halmstad
Send a message

Post by Dennis_Halmstad
Is there any interest of having a google group for plugin dev?
Dennis_Halmstad
Send a message

Post by Dennis_Halmstad
dmcconachie wrote:
Dennis_Halmstad wrote:Is there any interest of having a google group for plugin dev?
Why a Google Group rather than just a sub-forum on here?
Id prefer a sub-forum any day, but however i can create a google group in a couple of minutes.

Getting a sub-forum in place is (i guess) a bit of a bigger challenge (not technically).
I believe there are lots of different questions that needs to be addressed before a sub-forum are added, starting with open or closed... (and i don't know how to ask for one. ;) )
Dennis_Halmstad
Send a message

Post by Dennis_Halmstad
dmcconachie wrote:I've requested a new sub-forum. Best keep everything on Waze. Plus I hate Google Groups! ;-)
There are an other upside with Google groups, when deploying via chrome Web store, a plugin can be deployed to the group only, so no need of sending betas around (unless u are using ff)
Dennis_Halmstad
Send a message

Post by Dennis_Halmstad
So, anyone wanna answer how and if we can get a subsection?
Dennis_Halmstad
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
At the risk of being called elitist, again, I'd also like to see new plugins put in front of waze champs before being released to the wider community. Once they're released it's very difficult to put them back in the box!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
Dennis_Halmstad wrote:Is there any interest of having a google group for plugin dev?
Why a Google Group rather than just a sub-forum on here?
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
I've requested a new sub-forum. Best keep everything on Waze. Plus I hate Google Groups! ;-)
dmcconachie
Send a message