HOV lane navigation

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: HOV lane navigation

Postby MysticCobra » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:58 pm

attheyard wrote: If waze had a separate setting like toll roads for HOV's, the user could turn them on or off as routing options.

I think this is the key. We should have an option to use or not use HOV. I would still like to see, when looking at route choices, this a certain route is Express or HOV or Toll or whatever with some sort of icon or asterisk or warning.
Jimmy
Samsung Galaxy S4-Android 4.3, Waze 3.8.7.0
Northern VA
MysticCobra

Postby MysticCobra » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:01 pm

CBenson wrote:I'm not sure exactly what's happening to the HOT lanes. What happens to the HOV lanes inside Edsall Rd.?

I was just reading about this yesterday...from Edsall Rd north will continue as they are today. HOV3 and no toll. "Express" lanes end at Edsall Rd meaning cars with less then 3 people must exit.
Jimmy
Northern VA
MysticCobra

Postby MysticCobra » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:20 pm

CBenson wrote:
MysticCobra wrote:
attheyard wrote: If waze had a separate setting like toll roads for HOV's, the user could turn them on or off as routing options.

I think this is the key. We should have an option to use or not use HOV.

There are some issues to solve because the HOV restrictions vary. First, the number of vehicle occupants required to access the lanes is not consistent across the region, so its possible to be eligible to use some HOV lanes but not others. Second, the I-95/I-395 lanes are reversing lanes. So we need to be able to both designate the road as HOV and also designate when the road is open in the appropriate direction.

MysticCobra wrote:I would still like to see, when looking at route choices, this a certain route is Express or HOV or Toll or whatever with some sort of icon or asterisk or warning.
I don't use toll roads enough, but think that waze is doing this for toll roads. We'll have to wait and see what is developed for HOV lanes. I'm not sure a separate road property is warranted for express lanes. Most of the express lanes around here do have the express designation in the road name, so it may show on the route designations at times.

The HOV restriction times will be tough in some cases. On I-66 inside the beltway, it is based on time and they only change once every couple years at most. In some areas, like the reversible I-95 HOV (soon to be HOT) lanes, I feel like the reversal is more manual and less structured. I'm sure there's a schedule but I don't know how well they adhere to it. We need to hear from someone who lives in Stafford/Fredericksburg.

I think designating the beltway Express/HOT lanes as a separate roadway IS warranted especially since 1. the speeds will likely be very different and 2. there are new exits/ramps that are ONLY for getting into and out of the Express Lanes (Jones Branch, Westpark, Gallows). These can be huge time savers.
Jimmy
Northern VA
MysticCobra

Postby MysticCobra » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Some excellent points. I still say that waze should give users the option of taking these HOV roads as a separate possible route. This includes I-95/I-395 HOV lanes south of DC, I-66 inside the beltway, the 495 Express lanes in VA, etc.
Waze should also notate (just like a toll road) with a little icon in the corner that this is an HOV road. Let the user use their brain (and read the signs) and decide which route they want. We know wazers are smarter than the average driver so this shouldn't be difficult, right? :)
There are a lot of important rules (# passengers, type of EZPass, motorcycle, etc) with these roads that require the user to make some decisions.
How hard would it be to add an asterisk or little footnote with a sentence warning the user whenever one of these HOV roads is chosen (or suggested) that they need to be aware of these rules?
Jimmy
Northern VA
MysticCobra

Postby MysticCobra » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:52 pm

CBenson wrote:Sure but there are two separate questions. 1) What should waze do to accommodate HOV lanes?

If you are asking my opinion, I think I answered both... add an asterisk or little footnote with a sentence warning the user whenever one of these HOV roads is chosen (or suggested) that they need to be aware of these rules.
CBenson wrote:2) In the meantime, how should we map them with the tools that we currently have?
I still say that waze should give users the option of taking these HOV roads as a separate possible route. Just add them as new roads. What exactly does making them parking lot roads do for routing purposes?
Jimmy
Northern VA
MysticCobra

Postby MysticCobra » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:30 pm

attheyard wrote: This is exactly why I don't understand the I66 setup-if you get on I66 inside the beltway as a non-HOV driver, you WILL be fined. There is a cop sitting at every exit checking cars. Driving east on 66, there is a split in the road where you can either continue on 66 (but the entirety of 66 is now HOV), or you can exit onto the beltway around the city.

Just to clarify for those that don't drive on I-66 nearly every day like I do...There are electronic message signs and metal printed signs that tell you the rules at the entry points. BUT you have to actually read the signs. They look like this: Image

attheyard wrote: The beltway around the city is almost never faster, but you have to do it if you're alone in the car. Waze doesn't know this. So why is I66 left as a routing option?

This is not quite true as it depends on where you are going. If you are going TO DC, it's a lot different than if you are going AROUND DC. I would never downtown if going from Fairfax to Annapolis, the beltway is always faster if traffic is moving at speed. But if going to DC before or after the HOV restriction time, I would take I-66 as it is faster.

There are a lot of details to consider here but I think these HOV routes need to be an available option. Can these options be setup in waze so whenever you request a route that potentially includes one of these HOV routes you are presented with at least two options INSTEAD OF defaulting to the one fastest route? My OEM Ford GPS system presents two options as the default and lets you pick.
Jimmy
Northern VA
MysticCobra

Postby MysticCobra » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Agreed.
Jimmy
Northern VA
MysticCobra

UPDATE: 495 Express Lanes preferred by waze

Postby MysticCobra » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:47 pm

UPDATE: While travelling from the Baltimore MD area to Fairfax VA, on Sunday waze told me to take the 495 Express Lanes South starting just below the VA/MD state line near Potomac MD/Great Falls VA. I was surprised but took it anyway. It even got my exit right onto I-66 West.

I'm okay with this but find it strange as the lanes are not visible on the Live Map. What's going on?
Jimmy
Northern VA
MysticCobra

Postby MysticCobra » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:15 am

Good to know...

Also, the best news is that waze DID mark the route with the TOLL icon in the corner and it did suggest alternative slower routes. EXCELLENT!
Jimmy
Northern VA
MysticCobra

Previous

Return to Navigation & Routing