Suggestion: Roadworks UK sub-forum

Moderators: Unholy, Timbones

Re: Suggestion: Roadworks UK sub-forum

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:10 pm

woodvale wrote:Edinburgh is in an unusual situation because of the tramway building works. Once that's completed, it'll be a lot more straightforward for a while and I think you'll find it helpful.

How about starting with London? As the biggest urban area, it'll be a useful starting point and can be extended if it works out?

I wasn't even including the Tram chaos.

Either way, good luck! Personally I think it lends better to a spreadsheet or wiki than a forum
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby dknight212 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:12 pm

We would need to be quite selective over which roadworks went into the map. But at least this would be transparent.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
dknight212

Re: Re: Suggestion: Roadworks UK sub-forum

Postby Timbones » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:51 pm

dmcconachie wrote:Personally I think it lends better to a spreadsheet or wiki than a forum

Me too.

Whatever format you use, it will be overlooked by the majority of editors that close URs and revert changes because they don't pay close attention to what's happening.
The best place to leave notes that everyone can see is on the map, using the methods I mentioned before.

via mobile
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby iainhouse » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:39 am

Thank you all for your input and my apologies for not coming back to this for a couple of (busy) days! Also, my apologies to both xteejx and dmcconachie who made posts I should have answered, but my phone declined to show them to me!

Roy - I've registered for FTW but just requested my AM area (SE London), so I assume any that I raise will go to David as feed manager. Darren - following on from what you said, is the UK covered by at least one Feed Manager everywhere? I now know I'm covered, but other areas might not be.

Darren - you suggested a spreadsheet or a wiki. I'm not sure a spreadsheet would be appropriate, as there will be a fair amount of "freeform" data that might not fit well into a spreadsheet format. As for a Wiki, the question would be "how many of us know how to edit a Wiki and how easy is it?".

Tim - you mentioned a 2-weeks minimum on closures. I am absolutely in agreement with that. Whilst we might soon be getting faster & more regular map updates, I think it would have to be well settled down before we consider editing the map for shorter closures.

What prompted this suggestion was South London, where there are several of us active - and I certainly see support from dknight212 and woodvale. So I would like to propose that we go ahead and create a "UK Roadworks Tracking" (or whatever you want to call it) sub-forum. Even if us Southerners are the only ones who use it at the start, we can at least see how it works out.

We would need a "sticky" post at the top with guidelines - I am happy to write this if you like and submit it for additions/corrections. If you would like me to take on any forum moderation duties (assuming that can be done) I would be happy to help.
Last edited by iainhouse on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
UK Country Administrator
AM: London (DELETED)
Waze 3.7.3 • iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.3) • Chrome/W7x64
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby floppyrod84 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:23 am

I'm happy for someone to start a monitoring page or subforum for roadworks. Think its a good idea.
Shame that datex feed still hasn't been sorted by Waze!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby jbjon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:40 am

I think it's worth a go.
Personally I'd like to be able to leave optional comments on edits in the Map Editor for these kinds of reason. So when you selected a detached road alongside seeing the last editor and the date/time they edited it could also show optional notes.
Even if roadworks becomes a proper feature there may be other reasons to leave local editors a note to help share understanding.
I know this kind of thing would take a lot more time and feedback to even approach implementing (not least the data storage implications for Waze) so the forum/wiki idea is a good thing to trial to see if its of use.

Nottingham is having another tram line too so there's some long term closures I've been putting in from Elgin too (roadworks.org).

Elgin data is available under the Open Government Licence so maybe a community browser tool could overlay it (that's not me offering to do that ;) )
Mansfield & North Notts. AM
jbjon

Postby dmcconachie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:54 am

Indeed, I met with the Chairman of Elgin last year with a view to incorporating their database in waze. It nearly happened but there were problems with the API which halted it in its tracks.
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby dknight212 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:59 am

So the question is do we want to do this via the forum or a document (wiki or google doc)?

What are the views?
dknight212

Postby jbjon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:05 am

dknight212 wrote:So the question is do we want to do this via the forum or a document (wiki or google doc)?

What are the views?

I think it makes more sense being a document (either suggestion)as these are more editable and therefore allow local editors to add and remove items as they occur.
A forum is useful for tracking conversations but the document approach always shows the current 'live' state and still has a change history to let everyone know what changed and when it changed.

+1 for Document based
Mansfield & North Notts. AM
jbjon

Postby floppyrod84 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:14 pm

I'd go with GDocs too, the collaborative features are a must, live updates, comments etc will be needed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

PreviousNext

Return to United Kingdom