Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

City Names for Beltway

Post by CBenson
There have occasionally been issues with waze routing off and back on the Beltway using ramps. I find that the best way to keep waze from routing in this manner is to eliminate the city names from the Beltway segments. I have done this in a few places on the Beltway without any apparent ill effects. I believe that reports will continue to use the city name from the city polygons. Does anyone have any objection to removing city names from Beltway segments where off/on ramp routing is an issue?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:1005502

Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by BlazeTool
Discussion of what can cause the routing off and back on the freeway , and what to do about it is going on over here. It might be applicable to this situation.
BlazeTool
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Mohawk55a wrote:I've seen the same thing along Hwy 32 in the Odenton / Ft. Meade area as well.
Uh-oh. Highway 32 in Anne Arundel county has blank city names. Could you let me know what route waze used to exit and reenter Highway 32? A while ago there were some issue with the roundabouts at the 32/198 interchange, but I believe those problems have been resolved by making the roundabouts ramp type.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by gus911
I think that it is a goid idea.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
gus911
Send a message
Area Manager Emeritus: Southern Maryland, USA
Samsung Galaxy S5 / Verizon Wireless / Android 4.4.4 / Waze 3.9.0

Post by jasonh300
There's coding to prevent that type of routing if the city name is the same on all segment before, during and after the ramps. However, city names often change at those junctions, so the simple solution is to remove the city name and therefore remove all doubt.

Road levels are mostly just to organize the roads. They're supposed to affect display on the client map and on the client, but some people argue that they don't and never have, and I've seen examples of where they don't work. Different levels at one time prevented roads from automatically forming a junction, but that automatic junctioning doesn't happen anymore. Also, it's more difficult for a well intentioned but unknowing person to manually junction two roads if the level is different (they would have to set both levels to be equal to do that).
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
MysticCobra wrote: Ok, gotcha. I guess I can see where this would be helpful where a minor road crossed underneath an interstate or something.
In the basemap, all of those types of bridges had a junction, which left the potential for all sorts of fun routing...right off the side of an overpass. That's another thing with levels...if you use the bridge function, it raises the road you bridge one level, so the level setting is automatic if you're doing that type of work.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by mohawk55a
That explanation for routing off ramps and back on makes sense. I've seen the same thing along Hwy 32 in the Odenton / Ft. Meade area as well. I don't see any reason not to do as you propose and see if it helps any.
mohawk55a
Send a message

Post by mohawk55a
CBenson wrote:
Mohawk55a wrote:I've seen the same thing along Hwy 32 in the Odenton / Ft. Meade area as well.
Uh-oh. Highway 32 in Anne Arundel county has blank city names. Could you let me know what route waze used to exit and reenter Highway 32? A while ago there were some issue with the roundabouts at the 32/198 interchange, but I believe those problems have been resolved by making the roundabouts ramp type.
I think it was back in October, but I haven't been traveling that way any more. I had a route taking me from south-bound 97 in Severn going into Ft. Meade at the Mapes Rd entrance (32/198 interchange), but the routing onto the ramps occurred at the 32/Telegraph road interchange. Neither ramps nor highway have city names there. My thinking at the time was maybe the historical traffic data saved with those sections of road had accumulated so many delays from the morning rush hour that Waze decided the ramps were a better option.
mohawk55a
Send a message

Post by mysticcobra
Can you explain how removing the city names will help? I understand how that helps.

While we're at it, can you explain the road level numbers and what they do in waze?

Oh, and this time when I logged in to map edit mode the express lanes ARE there. Go figure.
mysticcobra
Send a message
Jimmy
Samsung Galaxy S6-Android 7.0, Waze 4.50.1.1
Northern VA

Post by mysticcobra
jasonh300 wrote:Road levels are mostly just to organize the roads. They're supposed to affect display on the client map and on the client, but some people argue that they don't and never have, and I've seen examples of where they don't work. Different levels at one time prevented roads from automatically forming a junction, but that automatic junctioning doesn't happen anymore. Also, it's more difficult for a well intentioned but unknowing person to manually junction two roads if the level is different (they would have to set both levels to be equal to do that).
Ok, gotcha. I guess I can see where this would be helpful where a minor road crossed underneath an interstate or something.
jasonh300 wrote:There's coding to prevent that type of routing if the city name is the same on all segment before, during and after the ramps. However, city names often change at those junctions, so the simple solution is to remove the city name and therefore remove all doubt.
Makes sense. I say do it.
mysticcobra
Send a message
Jimmy
Samsung Galaxy S6-Android 7.0, Waze 4.50.1.1
Northern VA