Looking for advice on U-turns

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Looking for advice on U-turns

Postby CBenson » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:54 pm

icebox4u wrote:Just want to confirm that if I name this new 'u-turn' segment the same as the SR7 highway, that there shouldn't be any Waze announcement given when traveling Northbound on this highway near the new u-turn?

I believe that is correct, that you will not get an announcement when traveling northbound. However, I believe that the only thing naming the segment will achieve is to have the "select entire street" function pick up this segment as well (although I'm assuming the segment is over 15m long).
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HeyRobb » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:43 pm

Sounds good. I've been reading on how Waze will navigate drivers and what options are more/less likely to announce a "Turn Right" or other voice guidance announcement.

Just want to confirm that if I name this new 'u-turn' segment the same as the SR7 highway, that there shouldn't be any Waze announcement given when traveling Northbound on this highway near the new u-turn?

Thanks for the help guys.
HeyRobb

Postby harling » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:22 am

icebox4u wrote:I agree with the at-grade connection. As far as a wider view goes, here is a Permalink of the surrounding area.

Looks like it should be fine. If the turn does come up too last-minute, just move the junction with the left-turn lane further south.
harling

Postby HeyRobb » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:57 am

I agree with the at-grade connection. As far as a wider view goes, here is a Permalink of the surrounding area. Hope it helps, or is at least is what your asking for:

https://www.waze.com/editor/#?zoom=6&la ... s=67128471
HeyRobb

Postby harling » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:29 pm

Possible reasons to elongate the left-turn lane would be:
  • a physical barrier between it and the other lanes
  • insufficient advance warning of the maneuver
  • inbound roads that are too close to the intersection to safely cross traffic
It looks like the first is not the case (painted line only); as for the other two, I would need a wider picture of the area.
harling

Postby BlazeTool » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:21 pm

I assume you would use the same type as you would for an "at grade connector" which is the lesser of the two roads it connects. In this case, Minor Highway. Using a type street would add penalties for crossing type from Minor Highway to Street and then back.
BlazeTool

Postby HeyRobb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Understandable. What type of road should I label this as, Street?
HeyRobb

Postby BlazeTool » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:03 pm

I don't see any reason to not do a simple u-turn lane for this one. (Unless of course the AM's and CM's have a problem with it). The only thing I would suggest is, despite the real world u-turn lane starting back near the prior intersection, keep the u-turn lane's length to a minimum so that it doesn't confuse things visually.

Not only does this function as a u-turn, but is also visually says "hey I'm a u-turn" for anyone who is not routed through the turn.
uturn.jpg
(27.52 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
BlazeTool

Postby HeyRobb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:27 am

Sorry about that:

https://www.waze.com/editor/#?%23%3F=&z ... s=67128471

It's the system error/u-turn area just south-west of the 'B' end of the highlighted segment. Thanks again.
HeyRobb

Postby BlazeTool » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:22 am

I think you might have posted the wrong URL, that is the area of the first problem, but no segments selected.
BlazeTool

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor