Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Road direction picking changed

Postby skbun » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:46 pm

Something oddball in the way of a change has happened at least on the NA editor, and I can't put my finger on what it is.

Consider permalink https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... s=54685761

My attention was brought to this area because there's an automated report saying 'restricted turn might be allowed'. The thing is (as this is an express lane interchange) both ramps had direction 'Unknown' on them. However...if you look at streets in this area, you'll see that you're now only given three choices for directionals: One way A-B, One way B-A, and Two Way. Even the sister ramp attached to the one I saved as two way (I had no other choice!), shows the Xs I would associate with an 'Unknown direction' road, but I can't select it in the dropdowns.

Tried basic things to reset the segment like pulling its endnodes away from either side, saving, putting back...no go. I don't want to lose speed data for the segment, so I haven't done more than that and figured I'd put it out there to be investigated.

If I type 'R' to change the directions with the keyboard, 'Two Way' stays on screen for two keypresses. So it's like it is aware Unknown is kind-of-sort-of there, but isn't offering it as a choice; that the directional picker has gotten somehow broken - at the very least changed - and I don't understand the rationale of why. We do USE 'unknown' type designations for streets in situations like short to mid-term road construction, and to explicitly prevent routing on street types that otherwise allow it (like ramps) so...

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Re: Road direction picking changed

Postby bz2012 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:16 pm

skbun wrote:Something oddball in the way of a change has happened at least on the NA editor, and I can't put my finger on what it is.

Consider permalink https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... s=54685761

something strange is going on around there. To the south and east, I see the symptoms you are reporting. To the west, segments act normally.
I don't know how far the 'three directions only' region extends.
I also noticed that if I create a new segment in the strange area, it works normally.

My attention was brought to this area because there's an automated report saying 'restricted turn might be allowed'. The thing is (as this is an express lane interchange) both ramps had direction 'Unknown' on them. However...if you look at streets in this area, you'll see that you're now only given three choices for directionals: One way A-B, One way B-A, and Two Way. Even the sister ramp attached to the one I saved as two way (I had no other choice!), shows the Xs I would associate with an 'Unknown direction' road, but I can't select it in the dropdowns.

Tried basic things to reset the segment like pulling its endnodes away from either side, saving, putting back...no go. I don't want to lose speed data for the segment, so I haven't done more than that and figured I'd put it out there to be investigated.

If I type 'R' to change the directions with the keyboard, 'Two Way' stays on screen for two keypresses. So it's like it is aware Unknown is kind-of-sort-of there, but isn't offering it as a choice; that the directional picker has gotten somehow broken - at the very least changed - and I don't understand the rationale of why. We do USE 'unknown' type designations for streets in situations like short to mid-term road construction, and to explicitly prevent routing on street types that otherwise allow it (like ramps) so...
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Re: Road direction picking changed

Postby skbun » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:59 pm

bz2012 wrote:something strange is going on around there. To the south and east, I see the symptoms you are reporting. To the west, segments act normally.
I don't know how far the 'three directions only' region extends.

I do see this 'three directions only' as far south as rural central California, and the Bay Area (San Jose, CA, etc.) Seems to be a pretty big area in that sense, but yeah, further west than my permalink, it DOES act how it used to.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby bz2012 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:20 pm

I submitted a report to support along with a link to our conversation.
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:48 pm

Unknown cannot be selected on heavily traveled segments. This is global and it's been like this for a few months now.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bz2012 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:52 pm

That makes sense. THANKS for the info!
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby mssusa » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:52 pm

bz2012 wrote:I submitted a report to support along with a link to our conversation.

Had something like this for a while in the intl server in my last session (3 hours until a few minutes ago). No more unknown type available and the direction arrows in the drop down list were displayed as html escape codes for special characters.
The arrows are fixed now, but I haven't paid attention to the Unknown type.

Time to sleep :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:56 pm

mssusa wrote:
bz2012 wrote:I submitted a report to support along with a link to our conversation.

Had something like this for a while in the intl server in my last session (3 hours until a few minutes ago). No more unknown type available and the direction arrows in the drop down list were displayed as html escape codes for special characters.
The arrows are fixed now, but I haven't paid attention to the Unknown type.

Time to sleep :(

Yeah, I saw a screenshot of the weird coding in the support forum. That was a glitch, unrelated to the unavailability of unknown.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mssusa » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:55 am

I'm finding many segments with no level set. I'm not 100% sure but I believe all were old unedited client paved segments. When I edit a segment to fix its geometry points and give it a name then select it together with another completed segment to create junctions at intersections the cross sign "+" does not appear. When I check the newer segment I always find its level property empty. New editor? or the move to the new infrastructure?
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:53 pm

From the first post in this topic
shirlig wrote:4) Cones and old ranks are now synced and displayed everywhere as follows:

old rank 0 = 1 cone
old rank1 = 2 cones (currently not in use)
old rank 2 = 3 cones
old rank 3 = 4 cones
old rank 4 = 5 cones
old rank 5 = 6 cones (currently not in use)
old rank 6 = STAFF

Has there been a change to ranks since that post? I have a local editor with a rank of (2)...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor