The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by fvwazing
vickimachado wrote: I like the idea of leaving notes via little landmarks. But when editing I don't always use the zoom level required to click it properly and read it. I'm assuming the intended recipient, another editor, may not see it, either. Are these notes effective?
Or you dump a piece of railroad across the area, and use its namefield for remarks. Until those show up in the client (probably never) you are safe.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by GizmoGuy411
I agree with you about being anti-locking. As a Level 5 editor, I hate locking anything except freeways in my home area, and spent a lot of time unlocking segments so other local editors can contribute without needing to send Unlock Requests.

Having said that, I HAVE locked a number of more complicated one-way roads and intersections to preserve their properties.

You may look for someone else to help who it a Level 3 or 4 to help you lock and deal with future Unlock Requests too.

This is another place where we SHOULD have the ability to selectively lock a segment at a Level lower than our own when necessary.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by GizmoGuy411
+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by harling
In the meantime, lock the roads around every time-restricted turn. If that means the entirety of DC, so be it. Better for the map to work, and be inconvenient to change, than be chronically broken and convenient to change.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
boutiette wrote:What is the consensus on this? I have a road that cannot be turned onto from 8:30-4:00 on weekdays (school zone). It's been reported by a user. Should I restrict it?
I would.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by james_8970
I have the same concerns as the OP in my area. I've begun locking a few streets that have numerous turn restictions as I've become fed up with the inconsistancies. Has Waze mentioned any intentions of adding a time based turn restriction?
james_8970
Send a message
Country Manager for Canada

Post by james_8970
I restrict any time based time turn restrictions as the app will more frequently be used during rush hour when the turn restriction will be relevant. I don't think we should be forced to do this however.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
james_8970
Send a message
Country Manager for Canada

Post by jasonh300
Another point for adding the little landmark is that it will not only have the potential to give other "helpful" editors some direction and possibly preventing them from undoing your work, but also, if they mess with it anyway, you can always go back and check that landmark later and see that a change has been made and you can put things back the way they're supposed to be.

Those landmarks should be locked by a CM to prevent accidental deletion. Nobody is likely to respond to an unlock request for those little landmarks, and no other CM is likely to delete them and there's also a possibility that the CM who's responding to unlock requests will see the landmark before unlocking the junction.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
cristianfraser wrote:
james_8970 wrote:I restrict any time based time turn restrictions as the app will more frequently be used during rush hour when the turn restriction will be relevant. I don't think we should be forced to do this however.
The problem with this, at least in my city, is that reversible roads take totally opposite directions during the morning rush hour and evening rush hour... A street that is normally both-ways, is, for example, only north in the morning, and only south in the evening... so it's not really useful.
Reversible roads are a whole 'nother animal, and in some cases need to be disconnected from the Waze map to completely prevent routing.

The choice to restrict or allow turns on a time restricted turn will generate URs no matter what you do...you're either going to get people complaining that they were directed to make an illegal turn, or you're going to get people complaining that Waze routed them way out of the way instead of just making a particular turn.

If someone blindly follows the Waze directions and goes the wrong way down a time-restricted one-way, the consequences are going to be much greater than someone just making an illegal turn (head-on collision vs. a possible traffic ticket).
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
If you and the other AMs in your area know that these are going to be there, you'll develop a habit of zooming in and turning on the landmarks layer when you se something questionable.

Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message