Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Read the forum posting instructions.

If your country has a dedicated forum for unlocks or update requests. See this thread for details first.

Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST HERE

Read these rules:
1. Use this forum ONLY if your country does not have a Dedicated Forum for update requests.
2. Read the forum posting instructions.

Unlock US-50, East of Parkersburg, WV

Post by CygnusTM

I'm working on some updates to this segment of US-50, but I can't finish until these are unlocked. There are some wrong directions and it should be marked as a major highway. Thanks.

Edit: Originally posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry...
CygnusTM

POSTER_ID:269322

Send a message

Post by CygnusTM
The primary problem I was looking to fix was that the first suggested route from Clarksburg to Parkersburg was through Charleston. That is clearly not optimal. I looked at other similar highways that I was familiar with (e.g. US-231 around Troy, AL) and found those marked as major. It seems like a four-lane divided highway with a 65 MPH speed limit should be considered major.

I don't think I broke any crossovers that were already there. I think the two you listed were never there. I planned to go back over that stretch and add crossovers where needed when I has more time.
CygnusTM
Send a message

Post by Daknife
Funny how two CM's have worked on that very stretch of road in the last year or so and had it marked as a minor Hwy. Try PM'ing jhfrontz or mapcat for the unlocks. I see reverse connectivity issues that do legitimately need to be addressed but changing to a major isn't necessarily needed (it's not wrong but based on the lack of controlled turns (no lights at most of the crossings) it's not really needed either.)

I also see some problems you've introduced, they may not actually be problems if there has been recent reconstruction not visible in the aerials but if not then you broke This cross over and This one and a couple others in between. I'll not undo your work so far but will advise you to contact the two listed above who have worked on the road to get their opinions on the status of that road and get them to unlock it.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Okay on the cross-overs. Changing the road type from Minor to Major Hwy will do nothing for the routing instructions. The more likely cause is all the reverse connectivity issues. And as I said you aren't necessarily wrong to change the type, but I want you to get one of the two CM's who've worked on that stretch recently to look it over. If that is indeed a 65 mph road then I think you're right, but we CM's try really hard not to undo each others work as they may have set it the way it was for a purpose.

Personally I hope they do agree to an unlock, as that double mapcat bowtie at the interstate should be eliminated by just reducing the highway to a single road segment under the freeway. It makes everything far simpler to map accurately than that double bowtie that I at first thought was a mis-drawn Diverging Diamond Interchange.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint