Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Map Tiles failing to load?

Post by Texernie
While driving today (into new territory where tiles had not been previously loaded), I noticed several areas where the maps looked like a tile or two were missing. Another Wazer that I know reported the same thing. I use the Android version while he used the version for the iPad.

While working on some UR, I noticed a stretch of road that had 4 reports for missing roads. If I remember right, this is one of the same areas where I noticed the same problem.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-97.14 ... TTTTTTTTFT

With 4 reports on the same stretch of road, is it possible that the tiles didn't get generated?
Texernie

POSTER_ID:8121022

Send a message
Thanks,
Keith Henderson

Post by Twister-UK
xteejx wrote:And cache everything else too including reports, traffic etc to be sent when there IS signal but we've asked for hat numerous times.
And we'll continue to ask, demand, beg, holler, scream, shout and stamp our feet for it, until someone at Waze HQ takes an executive decision to make the coding team focus exclusively on features and functionality of genuine importance to a satnav client, rather than continuing to bloat it out with puff and eye candy and social networky-type crap that only serves to get in the way.

Just this morning, driving along a fairly busy country lane, 60mph limit and semi-blind bends, I came round one bend to find a car parked backwards in the hedgerow with another car parked next to it blocking half the road... exactly the sort of incident that calls for a Waze accident report. Unfortunately, having filled out the details and tapped the send button, I was then filled with a sense of impending doom as the phone screen was filled with the spinny Waze Wheel of Impending Failure, and sure enough about 30 seconds later I was greeted with the all too familiar error message containing it's almost always useless suggestion to try again later. Sure Waze, why don't I do that, why don't I wait for your flakey network code to re-establish a link to the rest of the world, and then send a fresh report about an incident which is now miles away...

Please please PLEASE Waze, announce a freeze on all new feature development and spend the time and effort necessary to fix what we all know is broken in the existing code. Once the core functionality is working as it should do, then by all means layer on as much shiny shiny as you want, but until the core is fixed it's a slap in the face to all dedicated users each time you announce yet another new feature without doing anything about the long-standing problems we continue to face every time we use the client.
Twister-UK
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 2
Send a message
Chris (not to be confused with Chris or Chris, or even Tim, Stu, or any of the other champs team...)
AM SE England & Shetland Islands, UK Local Champ, WME Beta Tester & ScriptMangler
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork

https://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/beta.pnghttps://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/s0400.pnghttps://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/c5s.png

Post by Texernie
I know in the area I was driving, there was spotty cell coverage at times. The outages generally only lasted a few miles. The missing segments of the map looked like 1 tile, out of the several required for the area, was missing. You could see the missing tile approaching. I was being routed both times I went through the areas. You would think that if the issue was the cell network, that Waze would have picked up the tiles on of the 2 times.

The area that I linked to is an interstate and has good coverage for miles around. There are some "mountains" in southern Oklahoma that blocks the signals for maybe a half mile as you go over the top and hit a new tower.
Texernie
Send a message
Thanks,
Keith Henderson

Post by MisterMooCow
Twister_UK wrote:
Please please PLEASE Waze, announce a freeze on all new feature development and spend the time and effort necessary to fix what we all know is broken in the existing code. Once the core functionality is working as it should do, then by all means layer on as much shiny shiny as you want, but until the core is fixed it's a slap in the face to all dedicated users each time you announce yet another new feature without doing anything about the long-standing problems we continue to face every time we use the client.
I can't see them doing that at all any time soon-- they've got to be in a desperate race to be more feature-rich than any of the other GPS apps, as well as to start generating revenue (and thus remain viable in the eyes of their VC). Unfortunately, as long as they "suck less" than Apple's map app, they don't really need to worry about making improved stability a priority.

That said, there are ways to do agile development without [overly] sacrificing stability-- if they had an effective automated regression testing environment (that could simulate network latencies, etc.), they could fix a lot of these problems before we ever see them. But that requires either starting from the get-go with something like TDD or spending a lot of resources retrofitting that into your development environment/culture.
MisterMooCow
Send a message

Post by MisterMooCow
xteejx wrote:It's definitely too sensitive to slow data speeds and this may be the issue here.
It seems like something has changed recently in that regard-- like, maybe with the latest release of the client?
MisterMooCow
Send a message