City polygon layer has updated (NA)

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: City polygon layer has updated (NA)

Postby yippeekyaa » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:55 pm

skbun, what you are saying make sense. In one area I had a "k" city layer. Using WME highlighter tool, i found the offending K named streets and corrected them last week. The K is still showing as being in the area but when I turn on the city option on WME it's not showing as a colored polygon anywhere on the map. But alas, the K is still there.

I've ask before and got limited responses so I'll ask again.

I have a layer incorrectly named "flat rock(2)". I've changed every street to the correct city name yet the flat rock(2) layer still remains. I've spent a couple hours scanning for any remaining incorrect city names and none appears to exist. Does the city layer use alternate addresses to determine this layer? someone mentioned that the highlighter can highlight the alternate addresses, yet I can't seem to figure out how exactly that is done. Advice?
yippeekyaa

Postby skbun » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:53 pm

yippeekyaa wrote:skbun, what you are saying make sense. In one area I had a "k" city layer. Using WME highlighter tool, i found the offending K named streets and corrected them last week. The K is still showing as being in the area but when I turn on the city option on WME it's not showing as a colored polygon anywhere on the map. But alas, the K is still there.

Is the 'K' in WME, or just in the Waze client? If only in Waze, it'll disappear when the next tile update happens. If you made your changes after Sunday night, you'll have to wait for the next WME city layer update to be sure it's gone.

yippeekyaa wrote:I have a layer incorrectly named "flat rock(2)". I've changed every street to the correct city name yet the flat rock(2) layer still remains.

Remember, it WILL remain until at least the WME polygons update, if you see it in WME. The last pass I know it ran was Sunday evening.

yippeekyaa wrote:I've spent a couple hours scanning for any remaining incorrect city names and none appears to exist. Does the city layer use alternate addresses to determine this layer? someone mentioned that the highlighter can highlight the alternate addresses, yet I can't seem to figure out how exactly that is done. Advice?

I think it may, yes. I don't have authoritative proof, but I 'strongly suspect'. That said...try adding an alt address with 'no city' to any city segment. Doesn't mater which. Then highlight both 'your city', and 'No city' in order. You'll see that if the alt address matches, it'll be a yellow dashed/hashed line, not a solid.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby OhioStMusicMan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:41 am

skbun wrote:Okay. So there is a gray cities layer, and a layer that shows names of cities for the gray layer. If memory serves me, they're 'cities_01' and 'cities_names'. As best I can reverse engineer, these are only generated at map tile generation time. They're used in the following ways:
Waze client (Android at least): BOTH
Waze Livemap: Only the placement of city names

If this is the case, then why is M, Ohio still appearing in the client?
IMG_1585.PNG
IMG_1585.PNG (141.66 KiB) Viewed 794 times

Even though "M" is not showing at this zoom level, that giant kite shape laying waste to the great state of Ohio is the aforementioned "M, Ohio". GizmoGuy and I took care of this by Nov. 19, it no longer appears in the colored WME City layer, and here it is still in the client. And yes, I refreshed the tiles...

Even more interesting, however, is when I zoom in around me...
IMG_1586.PNG
IMG_1586.PNG (128.45 KiB) Viewed 794 times

There are seemingly random squares of "M, Ohio" that appear regularly along my commute between Bowling Green & Toledo. Even better, depending on the zoom level, some disappear while others appear. These segments all have no city attached to them (confirmed in WME).

skbun wrote:If the above is how this works, and Waze could tell us either way, right?, IMHO, it'd be to our advantage to have cities_p update as often as Waze will do it. Two big reasons:
1. The closer to real time this layer is run, the more often we can check the cities layer to see if smears have been resolved or new bogus cities have appeared - particularly if they increase the number of colors and boldness of borders to make them easier to see; and they may be caught/removed before they're ever even seen on the clients. But, especially,
2. I'm almost certain that 'The highlighted road is too far from the city it was added to' is dependant on the cities_p layer, not the one we see on the live map tiles. Put another way, if the city polygon layer for WME were run with each edit, we'd never have the 'M, Ohio covers half the state' problem ever again**. In any case, the more often it runs, the less we'll see it. I can happily add a fictitious 'T, California' on two segments, between saves, 150 miles away from one another, so this really leans toward 'It's about that multicolored polygon layer'. To me, it seems Waze doesn't know 'how far too far is' unless there's a polygon to check against.

Personally, I don't understand why the WME & client city layers couldn't be the same thing. Editable polygons that could be fixed by CMs as needed and then left. After all, how many city boundaries change on a weekly basis? Then, the need to type in a city for a segment is eliminated and, therefore, these phantom cities. I know I'm not a fan of city boundaries being determined by city names per segment.

Am I missing something here? Is something like I'm thinking of simply a pipe dream? Please, feel free to educate me!
Travis
Waze 4.8.9903.903
iPhone 6 (VZW) - iOS 9.3.2
iMac 21.5" & MacBook Pro 15" - OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)
Area Manager: Bakersfield, CA
State Manager: Ohio

ImageImageImage
OhioStMusicMan
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Re: Re: City polygon layer has updated (NA)

Postby skbun » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:21 am

ohiostmusicman wrote:If this is the case, then why is M, Ohio still appearing in the client?

Even though "M" is not showing at this zoom level, that giant kite shape laying waste to the great state of Ohio is the aforementioned "M, Ohio". GizmoGuy and I took care of this by Nov. 19, it no longer appears in the colored WME City layer, and here it is still in the client. And yes, I refreshed the tiles...

Hm. I can't see the M blotch easily on my client, zooming in and out some. What if you completely wipe your cache and data, maybe...?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:54 am

I can confirm that the "M" city label still shows on the (iPad) client maps in NW Ohio and moves to various places as you zoom in and out.

And yes I refreshed my map tiles too.

Photo Nov 27, 23 40 20-2.jpg
Photo Nov 27, 23 40 20-2.jpg (113 KiB) Viewed 1077 times

Using Color Highlighter, I could not find any "M" cities in the area either.
ImageImageImageImage

U.S. based Global Champ
U.S. CM
U.S. Great Lakes RC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Galaxy S6 Edge w/ Android 5.1.1 & iPad "3" w/ iOS 8.2.0
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

City polygon layer has updated (NA)

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:29 am

Client city layer is different than the editor one, if I remember correctly...
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gerben » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:46 pm

For the client, the city layer is only updated for tiles that had at least one edit during the last update cycle, so to get rid of it, every tile covered by the smudge needs an edit.
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben

Postby Mike-1323 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:25 am

gerben wrote:For the client, the city layer is only updated for tiles that had at least one edit during the last update cycle, so to get rid of it, every tile covered by the smudge needs an edit.

. . . And which layer would I turn on to see the tile boundries?
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:23 am

Mike-1323 wrote:. . . And which layer would I turn on to see the tile boundries?

Hmmm... Interesting layer idea... Shift+t for Tile Boundaries...
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby OhioStMusicMan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:42 am

Mike-1323 wrote:
gerben wrote:For the client, the city layer is only updated for tiles that had at least one edit during the last update cycle, so to get rid of it, every tile covered by the smudge needs an edit.

. . . And which layer would I turn on to see the tile boundries?

Does this mean we'd have to basically re-save a majority of roads as they are in order for the massive smudge to be gone on the next tile update?
Travis
Waze 4.8.9903.903
iPhone 6 (VZW) - iOS 9.3.2
iMac 21.5" & MacBook Pro 15" - OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)
Area Manager: Bakersfield, CA
State Manager: Ohio

ImageImageImage
OhioStMusicMan
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor