Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by OhioStMusicMan
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
OldGnome wrote:
ohiostmusicman wrote:Ah, ok I figured it all out.

Is it just me or does it seem odd that there aren't the same settings for all the None/Minimal/Full Guidance options? I think that the voice type should be an independent option from the guidance options. Just my two cents...
It sounds to me as though the recordings are more phrases than words or phonemes. If that is true, there would be separate recordings for Minimal vs. Full.
Yes, minimal is all pre-recorded sound files, which is why the street names cannot be included.
I realized that after playing with all the english voices on the minimal side. Wish that was a little more clear...
OhioStMusicMan
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by OhioStMusicMan
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
ohiostmusicman wrote: I realized that after playing with all the english voices on the minimal side. Wish that was a little more clear...
It says it on the screen.... One has street names, the others do not.
Sorry, I meant that I wish the voice type options that appear under general were more clear, not the Full/Minimal/None.
OhioStMusicMan
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
iPhone 4S/Verizon
iOS 6.0.1
Waze 3.5.1

Just returned from my first navigating trip with the latest version.

No crashes. Nothing amiss in any way. Audio adjustment works great.
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
davipt wrote:I have yet another issue, this time a very serious one as it involves privacy. I think this is related to the backend, so kick me somewhere else if you which.

I've just received on my client's inbox a message that a certain user on facebook is now connected to me. Unfortunately I have "only my friends" selected, not "visible to friends of my friends". That guy seems to be a friend of two of my friends though. So I shouldn't have become connected to him at all. I don't see him yet on my friends list on the client nor on the dashboard, but I think those are updated only once per day. PM me if you need more details. My facebook account is private (friends only), so I expected waze to behave similarly.
I disabled the sharing both on my iPhone and in Facebook. That eliminated all of my Waze posts appearing in my FB timeline.
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
davipt wrote:I didn't get the relation between the two things. You can just set waze to not post anything on facebook and twitter, and on 3.5 it even comes disabled by default (thank you for that!)
I don't know that it should be necessary to tweak the settings in both places, but I did and it stopped the messages appearing in my timeline.
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
ohiostmusicman wrote:Is there any reason they removed the voice type option and only kept the Full/Minimal option?
It's still there. Minimal allows you to select the various voices from the other settings menu. I think in General.
Yes, in Settings->General. Be aware that there are different voice options available when using Full guidance vs. minimal guidance. There are more voices available with minimal guidance.
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
ohiostmusicman wrote:Ah, ok I figured it all out.

Is it just me or does it seem odd that there aren't the same settings for all the None/Minimal/Full Guidance options? I think that the voice type should be an independent option from the guidance options. Just my two cents...
It sounds to me as though the recordings are more phrases than words or phonemes. If that is true, there would be separate recordings for Minimal vs. Full.
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
xteejx wrote:Are you actually using the beta? Even the AppStore version doesn't show the old Full Minimal None...
Shorthand for "Including street names"/"Directions only (with themes)"/"No guidance."
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
TigPT wrote:Well the info is available based on map editor crowdsourced but yes, it can't be 100% reliable, but thats is true for maps and other info on waze.
There are a number of threads on this topic. The results boil down to, "yes, it can be useful information, but it won't be accurate enough to rely upon."

We all realize the maps are also crowd-sourced, but that happens as a result of driving and editing. There is no way to capture the speed limit information as a result of driving. It will never be anywhere near as accurate as the maps.
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
donjakobo wrote:I also get this, I exit the app by hitting the HOME button, and just double tap home and [X] to close (force close?). Is there an in app 'exit' button?
Waze will misbehave if it is not closed via [Waze menu]->[Switch Off].
OldGnome
Send a message