bz2012 wrote:It appears to me that some change in WME's code "broke" the 'segment selector' for URLs that used to work fine. Those URLs still work for all the other parameters (zoom, lat, lon, layers.)
It's simply because the URL is broken.
The editor URL only accepts parameters for supported WME objects, and in the standard format for URLs :
- Code: Select all
The "...#?%23%3F=&zoom=6..." translates to "...#?#?=&zoom=6..." when the URL is 'decoded' which does not look good. The browser will attempt to find a local anchor tag on the page named according to what follows the "#" sign , which it cannot as it does not exist.
but it decodes all but "segment=xxxxxxx,xxxxxxx".
Does it fail to decode 'the LAST' ¶meter='?
Does this mean it has ALWAYS done this? From the fact that I have been saving various permalinks for quite some time and only noticed that they fail to select the segments NOW indicate that I have been oblivious to something that has been happening for a long time or that something has changed with the way the scripting handles the URL?
Has google chrome changed the way it passes parameters?
Do a control-U to view the code.
WME keeps changing, sometimes without notice, so that is what I first suspected.
I have not 'dug into the code' to see what might be the problem with the parameter passing, but that would be where I would start troubleshooting if I wanted to spend time playing with the code rather than fixing the roads.
Has anybody actually bothered asking Rftyree, the OP that provided the permalink what browser and 'addons' he/she is using? Surely all users will have permalinks like this on the NA server if WME is broken.
I notice that when I grab a permalink (and I almost always do it the same way, by right clicking on the words and copying the link and then pasting it into a text editor so I can save it for later double checking) that the format varies from time to time. I have not found a pattern to the variations yet.
It is likely not WME that screws up the permalink, but something that either overwrites the original WME permalink or provides a 'Permalink' option of it's own, where the code screws it up.
It could even be a screwed browser shortcut :
If I start a blank page and type in the URL "https://www.waze.com/editor/#noclue#", WME opens up fine and my Permalink is then :
which is also screwed, and obviously not WME's fault. It simply uses the main URL for the page, which it rightfully expects to end in /editor/.
Good information but I don't usually type the url that way.
I find railroad and walking trails connected to roads all the time. Many were created by 'admin' long ago and have never been edited. Just like I find 'single node loops' created by admin, long ago and 'wrong state roads' created by admin. Stuff like that happens. When I find them, I fix them.
Sometimes I miss something or make a mistake, but from the number of mistakes I find, I think I am 'improving things more than messing them up.' I hope so.