Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).
Post by cangst
Froyo has been pushed to the Droid as well. I did not have Waze on 2.1. Many, many problems with Froyo though. Its frustrating. I want this program to work. My buddy is in the same truck as me and is getting credit for twice as many miles on his Iphone than I am. Not cool.
cangst
Send a message

Post by DAmaNIac
Hi,

great thing that the road record button is gone. It will save a lot of time cleaning the map up after the newbies. However still no 3D Mode and never a word why it's gone?!

regards
damaniac
DAmaNIac
Send a message
Area Manager Hamburg/Germany
Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by DAmaNIac
krankyd wrote: A few versions back we switched to OpenGL graphics. This change made waze run a lot smoother and faster, but also caused some problems with previous features that have to be rewritten. 3D mode caused waze to crash which is why we removed it from HD display devices. Sorry if this wasn't clear from previous posts.
Thanks for the explanation, but is there any chance that 3D mode will come back again in the future, because where is the use of having a smartphone with an large display and a good cpu if you can't use such great features?
DAmaNIac
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by DAmaNIac
I hope I don't complain too much ;) so just to let you know, the new layout is great.
Just a slight request: Maybe the font for speed, eta and stuff should be a little bit larger on HD screens and why does the point "refresh map of my area" delete the entire cache and does not what it says... meaning just download and upload the new tiles? Having a bad connection sometimes a cache is pretty useful in larger areas like forests etc...

However, keep up the good work :)
DAmaNIac
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by DAmaNIac
Hi,

I found a little bug in the new version 1.8.99.105. If you go to the Scoreboard and try to enter your Facebook name and password it doesn't allow any text. First it takes forever with the "Loading" message and when it displays the FB screen, you can click on the fields for name and pw, but it doesn't open the on-screen keyboard and if you use the Milestone hardware keyboard you can't enter any text.

BR
damaniac

PS: Trying the alternative login screen doesn't work too.
DAmaNIac
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by DAmaNIac
Hi,

small update on the version 1.8.99.106, FB connectivity is still not working. After you click on the connect button, a loading screen pops up, but nothing happens, you have to click the "back" button on the phone 3 times to make these messages disappear and it seems that there are actually 3 loading messages as you can see them fade after each press of the back button.
After you removed the loading messages you can click on the name and pw boxes, but you can't enter anything...

BR
damaniac
DAmaNIac
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by DAmaNIac
Hi,

unfortunately I have to agree. Waze is the only application that constantly freezes, crashes or reboots the phone. Honestly I too don't care about the iPhone user habits. Android users are able to press the "exit" button, they are smart ;)
It seems the product fails due too many good intentions that lead into an unstable software. Maybe a little step back and easier routines will allow a good and stable product.
Even as a beta tester it's not easy to ignore the instability of the software. Who cares about new features like colors and compression (btw does is compress the cache data or the transferred data? How about a little documentation about the features and also about the preferences file) if the software does not allow the first step in your entire process and that is to drive and validate as much roads as possible.

I would say that your main priorities should be stability and a better handling of network errors. And for cartouche... editing without destroying the map (removing junctions e.g.).

Just my 2 cents... but keep up the good work :)

DAmaNIac
DAmaNIac
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by DAmaNIac
Honestly I don't care if Waze goes into sleep mode or not. Today it's not really usable to navigate, because too much of the roads are not connected or you get a server timeout once in a while or the routes simply don't make any sense at all, but that's fine. I'm using Navigon or Google Maps while having Waze in background, just so I can get the rights to edit the streets on the way. So it doesn't make sense when Waze stops working when you don't use it.
Apparently Waze only crashed when I tried to do something with it, like report something or sometimes... just when I looked at it.
So my interest is, don't have me drive the same 500 km 3 times, just to make sure I can edit them. I try to take various roads to the same destination, so it's really annoying when you try to edit them and then you realize Waze didn't collect all the data and does not allow you the edit the streets, especially in areas where noone else cares to edit something.

One thing I learned about the car dock is, that when you put your phone into the dock while Waze is starting (the blue Waze boot screen) it stops responding, sometimes when you plug the power connector in. So I have to 1) plug the power in 2) start Waze and wait until I think it's ready for the dock and then put it into the dock. I can deal with it, but I'm sure not the every day user.
DAmaNIac
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by DAmaNIac
I get your point, however I don't consider it a top priority. If you integrate a car-dock mode you must also think of the people who use other solutions, where the phone doesn't switch into this mode. If everything else is running smoothly, then it's time to integrate such features imho...

And what about the report feature? Have you tried to enter a police trap or a speed cam while driving? I have a Milestone, where the screen is quite large and it's considered high res (and it's the excuse for not having a 3D mode, but that's another point), but while you try to find the small buttons and press them and wait while the software reacts to your actions, you're a danger to your and the safety of others. Someone suggested a button and then 4-6 large buttons that fill the screen where you simply press the button like traffic jam or speed cam.
There are a lot of speed cams I didn't enter into the system, because I missed them by a few 100 meters until the report feature cam up, I clicked on speed cam, press send and confirmed it... honestly, that's way too complicated and you people complain about having to press the exit button?

To make it clear, I really like the concept and working with it, at least most of the time ;) But I also want to see some improvement or comments or the communities suggestion...

DAmaNIac
DAmaNIac
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by DAmaNIac
I won't recommend the new version, I just tried it, it still crashes a lot, mine is actually in a crashing loop, it crashed a few seconds after starting it.

It still pretty easy to crash the app or get it to freeze the entire phone, just scroll over the map and let it load some new tiles and after a few the phone is frozen... so much for that version...

As for the new version, just try tiny.cc/190101
DAmaNIac
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S2