The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Nav acts strange at this location

Post by FastKatt
I'm not sure what is going on here; but when I'm driving SW on this freeway, just as I'm rounding the curve, my map flips & makes the 're-routing' beep. It happens, just for a second, then returns to my direction.
This is the area in issue:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT
It's like the phone thinks I've jumped over the wall and needs to put me in the other lane, headed NE...
It happens every time I take this route, I can count on it.

Any thoughts?
FastKatt

POSTER_ID:11371603

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
FastKatt wrote:What do you mean by GPS Layer? This is still new to me
Go to the map editor link in my sig. Go to editing manual, map editor interface and controls. See the layers section.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Yeah, that's a hard one. Is it any better in the last 3 days since they found and fixed the bug related to interstate gaps and re/routing?

BTW, looks like new neighborhood streets to the northwest of that location need adding. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
FastKatt wrote:I used Google Maps :roll: to get the info I was unsure of.
Have you not read the Google TOS as well as the Waze warnings about using other copyrighted sources of data? Some countries have had all roads deleted due to misuse of other sources. Please do not.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
FastKatt wrote:Apologies,...
I'll drive to the sub-division, right away, and manually check the street-names...
I didn't realize you could 'Copyright' a street-name that you didn't name in the 1st-place.
I'll look for the TOS pages before I leave.
It's not the street name that's copyrighted, it's Google's presentation of the data that is copyrighted. If you can get the info about the street name from a government source (website) then you are all good (at least in the USA). State DOT, DEP, and Town/City DPW or Tax Assessor are good places to look.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by cherianchris
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
FastKatt wrote:I used Google Maps :roll: to get the info I was unsure of.
Have you not read the Google TOS as well as the Waze warnings about using other copyrighted sources of data? Some countries have had all roads deleted due to misuse of other sources. Please do not.
I saw this one coming.. "A small child with a stick" :grin:

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

Post by CrackedLCD
Another reason to be careful when using commercial map data or even paper maps is you have to watch for their hidden, purposeful mistakes (called map traps).

I've caught one on Bing in my area just from casual browsing. The DeLorme paper atlas of Mississippi has a cute little bear eating a jar of honey drawn out of roads right outside of Tupelo. Tupelo honey, get it? Apparently cartographers have an odd sense of humor. :)
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by FastKatt
What do you mean by GPS Layer? This is still new to me
FastKatt
Send a message

Post by FastKatt
I see what you're saying. The GPS looks like the cars a slightly more North than the road they are traveling on...
I would think moving this segment slightly North would stop the app from flipping you in the other direction and back.
But, I'm not sure it's such a problem to go threw that much trouble?
It's more like an annoying blip than a re-routing.
FastKatt
Send a message

Post by FastKatt
I'm not sure, I'll pay attention the next time I head to Chattanooga.
I'll see about the streets, and add the info I can be sure of.
FastKatt
Send a message