Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Daknife
The policy is do NOT waze on a railroad, it will corrupt the traffic data of nearby roads. As to getting points, yes they will get the miles traveled. Waze can route you down non-driveable roads and road types, you get points for distance traveled with or without any roads on the map.

As to editing, landmarking is NOT the way to go. Stations can be landmarked but railroads no. If you want to put in railroads feel free to do so, there is a road type just for railroads, but make sure that the railroad NEVER junctions with a driveable road. It can cross roads all you want but do not connect it to any road with a junction node or Waze will consider it a penalized but still viable route. (meaning some folks may be given routes down the track.

And finally if you do draw in or come across any railroads make sure they are set to a level of -5 so they do not overlay any when drawn on the map or in the client.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by fvwazing
If that is your country's policy... did you try to PM the user?
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
cherianchris wrote: It's not a big deal, it's just a railroad, but it is something which is not correct on WME, and is bothering me.
Cherianchris, you are not yet doing this for too long now. YOU still can go back! :-)
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
cherianchris wrote:
umopapisdn wrote:i have someone in my area who keeps adding railroads. i keep deleting them. they aren't commuter railroads, and there's maybe one line that handles amtrak traffic once a day at most.

based on GPS points, they're aren't being added by wazers on the trains, and they end approximately 4 miles on either side of an interstate highway. gone!
As Jason mentioned earlier, is it possible that the tracks were made by someone on an airplane?
Do pilots use highways as reference points?

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
Highways as reference points - WWI fighter planes would have if there were freeways then. And I think that last time the consensus was that most planes are too fast for paving; only the slowest of planes could - cropdusters.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by jemay
With the RR on the map, I have noticed less System Generated error message because of people running Waze on the train...
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by jemay
Kuhlkatz wrote:The biggest problem is actually people that insist on re-paving railroads over & over again, since it's transport related and do not appear on the client map.
I agree, I have deleted a lot of red rail lines... but no system errors if an existing segments are there.... I would find System Errors if the segment stopped.
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by Kuhlkatz
The biggest problem is actually people that insist on re-paving railroads over & over again, since it's transport related and do not appear on the client map.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by Timbones
You can have both the Railroad and a Landmark. It will be visible in the client, and you won't get repeat paving or map problems.

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
Another more, recent thread here: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33232

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by TonyG-UK
See http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=23128 this thread for a discussion on why using landmarks for railroads is a bad idea.
TonyG-UK
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
UK Country Manager. Area manager: Wiltshire, UK