Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Offline and Points

Post by AX08GUK
Hi guys

My cellular network provider is having problems in my area at the moment resulting in me having no data connection. I don't need navigation and understand that traffic info etc won't be available.

When I arrive home tonight, my iPhone will connect automatically to a wireless network.

What will happen to the points I earn through any driving that I do? Will they be uploaded when on wireless or lost?

Thanks
KG03MRY
AX08GUK

POSTER_ID:10403800

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I'm sure you searched for this question and answer before posting right? I guess I'll add this to the FAQ since it comes up about weekly.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:I find the FAQ to be misleading.
In order for you to get credit for and being able to see your drive in the editor, Waze must be able to upload your drive at the end of your trip. Waze sends this information when you shut it down. The Waze app does not cache your drives until it has a valid connection. If the Waze app does not have a connection to the servers when you shut down, your drive data will be lost, and any points associated with it will not be credited.
This seems to imply that if you have a solid connection for your trip up to the very end, but then lose the connection and shut down waze your drive data will be lost. At least for me on Android, that's not what happens. The only data I lose is data from the part of the trip for which there was not a data connection.
Lacking scientific data, I resorted to anecdotal. I agree with you that I have seen that happen to me too, on iOS. However, I'd had many not happen that way. I cannot figure out the necessary details to be conclusive. You are free to adjust/amend/add to the answer. Not sure how to do that without getting overly confusing, though.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AX08GUK
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It's been FAQ'd: http://bit.ly/WazeFAQ
Ooops! Sorry! Thanks for your help
AX08GUK
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I find the FAQ to be misleading.
In order for you to get credit for and being able to see your drive in the editor, Waze must be able to upload your drive at the end of your trip. Waze sends this information when you shut it down. The Waze app does not cache your drives until it has a valid connection. If the Waze app does not have a connection to the servers when you shut down, your drive data will be lost, and any points associated with it will not be credited.
This seems to imply that if you have a solid connection for your trip up to the very end, but then lose the connection and shut down waze your drive data will be lost. At least for me on Android, that's not what happens. The only data I lose is data from the part of the trip for which there was not a data connection.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Well I park in an underground garage at work where there is no network connection. So I end all my morning commutes without a network connection with no problem at all. Waze just shows the track ending somewhere on the street before I enter the garage. However, I have a network connection up until the time I enter the garage.

I might adjust the middle paragraph to state:
In regards to points or drive integrity, Waze will collect the data in terms of where you have driven even during network outages. In order for you to get credit for and being able to see in the editor your drive data collected during network outages, Waze must be able to upload your drive at the end of your trip. Waze sends this retained information when you shut it down. The Waze app does not cache your drives after shut down. If the Waze app does not have a connection to the servers when you shut down, any drive data not yet uploaded to the waze servers will be lost, and any points associated with it will not be credited.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902