Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Where is the line? Locking

Post by Biggiejohn
jeanphilippedrouin78 wrote:It seems that in my area someone crossed that line and it doesn't help anyone stuck with a lot of navigation errors.
I would say that if you lock a segment, you better be 100% certain that the position of every road, every name and every turn is 100% accurate, and be willing and able to maintain that segment if anything changes.
Biggiejohn

POSTER_ID:10479868

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Locking should generally be done only on completed, high-value roadways like interstates, highways, major thoroughfares, and areas or intersections known to be problematic or often abused by editors looking to gain points (splitting roads for no reason, not following guidelines). There are also places where roads are locked all over due to prior vandalism.

Waze will be rolling along with another feature in their locking mechanism soon, one which has been proposed by Waze and other editors for over a year. Stay tuned.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
Things I regularly lock:
  • High value roads (these are limited access for the most part) & their ramps (once named properly)
  • Overly complex intersections (once routing is working properly)
  • New construction that does not match the aerial photo (so new editors/IGN don't delete and redraw to match photo)
  • Areas subject to repeated unnecessary changes (i.e. two editors going back and forth on split vs. unsplit)
  • Changes as documented on the Connecticut Construction wiki page (so new editors don't accidentally reconnect things)
  • Areas subject to vandalism
I respond to PMs & unlock requests in the forum within 24 hours (usually less).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
jeanphilippedrouin78 wrote:Thank you Andy Poms that is all responsible to me!

I want't to show some example of things that are in my opinion lock for no purpose. But I am not sure if it is ok to disclose that publicly.
Feel free to PM (link are right --->) some Permalinks and I can take a look for you.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by EECGeek
jeanphilippedrouin78 wrote:I am asking you people, where is the line between best practice to protect the map and abusive locking that is anti-comunity?

It seems that in my area someone crossed that line and it doesn't help anyone stuck with a lot of navigation errors.
Jean: That would be me you are talking about. And I AM NOT abusing the locking thing. AND I DON'T offer to answer in 24 hrs or 48 hrs or any time. I answer when I answer. If it's that serious then contact support or make a post and it will be fixed.

I don't lock many roads, intentionally. Since I am a level 5 when I do an edit I trump all except level 6, so if a level 2 locked it and I come along and make a correction, whether it is correct or not and I don't notice it has been locked, it stays locked to level 4 and down. There is one of those "locking people" who locks just about every road he edits, we'll go with just "Joe".

I now realize this and am fairly conscious about making sure only the appropriate roads are locked.

But it doesn't show what the previous editor was, so if I miss something that's wrong if I do an edit, it's me getting thrown under the bus. I will take it so bring it on.....lol!! I will fix any issue that I made or anyone else did, so just pm me and I will fix it, I may not pm you back though, so don't be offended.

Also I do one hell of a lot of editing and mistakes happen, trust me it will happen to you too. I once put 10 km worth of the 417 backwards, boy did I hear about that. I corrected it, said sorry and moved on.

I also believe any edit I made in the past, all the way down to level 1, is now locked at level 5. This kinda sucks because I made some errors along the learning path that I have realized since, unless they are already fixed.

One thing I don't like is whoever is reporting errors, some have been somewhat rude. They were directed at "level 5" and I am the only level 5 in the area. Please don't make it personal, I do this as a hobby and that makes it not fun. It doesn't matter how wrong or stupid the mistake was.

Greg
EECGeek
Send a message

Post by EECGeek
Jean-Phillipe: Apology accepted, it's all good.

Happy Wazing!

Greg
EECGeek
Send a message

Post by EECGeek
rtelka wrote:Greg, thanks for your comments.
I sent you a PM, if you could please look.
I'd appreciate hearing from "joe01romano" whom many believe are abusing his editing/locking privileges...Rob
Rob: I don't think Joe answers anyone, I sent him a couple pms, no responses for a few months now. I might be his naughty list?

Greg
EECGeek
Send a message

Post by james_8970
As I begin to level up, I'm beginning to lock a little more to ensure people don't split things that I have unsplit. On the reverse side, I wish that there was a drop down that would still allow level 2 or 3 AM editors to edit them. I'm hoping such option is what AlanOfTheBerg is referring to....
James
james_8970
Send a message
Country Manager for Canada

Post by jasonh300
What you need to do is contact joe01romano via PM, and ask him to unlock the residential streets, as no part of the best practice on locking includes locking regular two-way residential streets unless there has been a recent vandalism incident involved, and then that would've been done by a Waze Champ, not an area manager.

Refer him to this thread if necessary.

I suspect that your contact with him will prove to be beneficial for all involved. Also, remember that it's possible that someone of a lower level locked those roads, and then joe01romano came through and did some editing, and upon saving, inadvertently raised the lock level.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
EECGeek wrote:Rob: I don't think Joe answers anyone, I sent him a couple pms, no responses for a few months now. I might be his naughty list?

Greg
If that continues to be a problem, just send a request to NanoRep and they will try to contact him via his registered email address.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message