Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Time difference between map edits to consider as actual edit

Post by pmnarsapur
Hi,

Does anyone know what is the time difference between subsequent map edit saves that we can have to consider both map edits as actual map edits?

I read somewhere that if we edit a segment, save it and then edit & save it again immediately, the second edit save is not considered as edit, i.e. even though that edit is saved on the server, we are not awarded points for it.

I have experienced this but am not sure how long do I have to wait before I can edit the same segments again and get awareded points for it.
pmnarsapur

POSTER_ID:6684544

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
cherianchris wrote:To add to this thread, it would be advisable for you to lock the segments as you edit them, as long as you are certain that you are doing high quality map editing.
In general, no, this is not best practice. Only high-value roads should be locked: interstates, highways, major thoroughfares, areas or junctions which often get abused/changed incorrectly or split unnecessarily.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by cherianchris
To add to this thread, it would be advisable for you to lock the segments as you edit them, as long as you are certain that you are doing high quality map editing.

If points are your primary goal, then you are searching for answers in the wrong place my friend. :(

Regards,
Chris

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

Post by cherianchris
I stand corrected. :smile:

Chris

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

Post by fvwazing
These are all valid concerns. The Waze-point-system should encourage quality work, not volume. It often takes some steps to reach completeness, and if that is not reflected in the points people are encouraged to hop to the next problem, leaving the solution incomplete. There currently seems to be a 24h delay for repetitive edits to be counted for points.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by Kuhlkatz
Why would you want to re-edit the same segments again?
If it's fixed, there's no need to fix it again.
Surely exposing new areas bring new challenges ?
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by Kuhlkatz
We all make little adjustments and minor fixes over time in the same areas. If it needs fixing, it needs fixing, but it doesn't mean you should wait for 6 months just to ensure you get the extra points..
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by maantje76
pmnarsapur wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know what is the time difference between subsequent map edit saves that we can have to consider both map edits as actual map edits?

I read somewhere that if we edit a segment, save it and then edit & save it again immediately, the second edit save is not considered as edit, i.e. even though that edit is saved on the server, we are not awarded points for it.

I have experienced this but am not sure how long do I have to wait before I can edit the same segments again and get awareded points for it.
First, it shouldn't be your target to gain points, but to improve the map.

Why you have to change the saved segments again? You did get your points for setting the correct info...so try to do it correct the first time ;)
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by tgfathergoose
Kuhlkatz wrote:Why would you want to re-edit the same segments again?
If it's fixed, there's no need to fix it again.
Surely exposing new areas bring new challenges ?
There have been times I've saved a change, only to realize that oops, I forgot to put the name on the road, or oops, got the direct wrong. Or I drew the road, then realized I had to move a few of the turn points. Yes, you don't always get it right the first time.

As for points, points are nice, but again, the reason to edit is to get the roads right.
tgfathergoose
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message