How to get 97,000 points in one day

Moderator: Unholy

Re: How to get 97,000 points in one day

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:41 pm

I propose that, much like a golfer surrenders his handicap when he becomes professional, Champs and CMs should surrender their leaderboard placing. Keep the points in case they do one day turn into prizes but is there really any need for our points tallies to be there for all to feel intimidated by?
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby AndyPoms » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:45 pm

dmcconachie wrote:I propose that, much like a golfer surrenders his handicap when he becomes professional, Champs and CMs should surrender their leaderboard placing. Keep the points in case they do one day turn into prizes but is there really any need for our points tallies to be there for all to feel intimidated by?

Or maybe a separate leader board for the Champs?
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:50 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:I propose that, much like a golfer surrenders his handicap when he becomes professional, Champs and CMs should surrender their leaderboard placing. Keep the points in case they do one day turn into prizes but is there really any need for our points tallies to be there for all to feel intimidated by?

Or maybe a separate leader board for the Champs?

I'd be very low on that so therefore I'm opposed! ;-)

Yeah, however it works, some of us have ridiculous scores and are beginning to dominate leaderboards. Lets's semi-retire and let others have their day.
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby Kuhlkatz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:05 pm

CMs likely even get robbed from scoring from unlock & relocks, due to editing the same segments in short succession.
Talk about an unappreciated job ;-)
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

How to get 97,000 points in one day

Postby fvwazing » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:20 pm

xteejx wrote:Talk about a comeback, but very well put :-)

Thanks, xteejx. And I did not even put in my most important observation: an area of the map is NEVER finished until many people have edited it. You need an editor to clean up, another to watch over the routing, a freak who does nothing but roadnumbers, one who enters streetnames, definately a local to drive around and find errors and someone extremely patient to debug the lot. In the end someone must maintain the area and make changes as roadworks change the grid. And when the wiki changes, everybody has to come back and start over. It is all about the collective! No village can exist without a butchery, a bakery, a grocery. Some people can take two, maybe three roles, but never someone can do it all.

Maybe that should be reflected in the scoring? Editors can join together in groups - call them troops, no, call them "troupes" (to signify the artistry involved!) and get points as a collective, where the "troupe" wins that brings an area from wasteland to blossom in the shortest time (divided by surface)?
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby harling » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:43 pm

The bottom line is, not all edits are done equally well, and do not contribute equal value to the map. Some edits, such as alternately locking and unlocking the same road day after day, contribute nothing to the map. Should those edits be rewarded at the same rate as, say, fixing a turn restriction, adding new construction, or (correctly) resolving a UR? No. Is it easy to distinguish the former from the latter, without human intervention? No.

The closest we can get, without full-time human review of edits, is to use the heuristic that more experienced editors are likely to make better quality edits, and that new editors are likely to make lower-quality edits.

One way to compensate for this is to reward the two groups differently. But that only discourages new editors from doing quality, detailed work, and gives them even more incentive to find ways to rack up points as quickly as possible.

Another way is to weed out the editors who are more interested in points than in quality, by self-selection: Limit the rate at which new editors can edit the map. Allowing new editors to make no more than (say) ten object-changes per save, or even fewer*, makes novice editors focus on map detail; limits their ability to make worthless (and potentially damaging) mass-edits for points; and prompts those who are only interested in "gaming the map" to look elsewhere for entertainment.

* In the days of Cartouche, when it was one edit per save, high-point editors were guaranteed to be motivated by quality more than by points.
The number of permitted object-changes per save should increase with editor rank--which should be based not only on number of edits, but also calendar time, forum involvement and peer review.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Postby DimanZ1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:50 pm

Managed to find a few tracks from our champion on points wwwnnnado.
https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&l ... TTTTTTTTFT
https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&l ... =182408293
Other than the damage of this map can not be named. His rank editing 1. He probably did not even edit the map. But gets a day to 250000 points.
ImageImage
350K km with Waze
Country Manager Russia
DimanZ1

Postby DimanZ1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:00 pm

I think he is flying on a plane and spoils map. Or has a poor GPS signal reception.
ImageImage
350K km with Waze
Country Manager Russia
DimanZ1

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:08 pm

We had a similar incident in the U.S. where a user got a lot of points in a very short period of time. We later found paves like this. A user could rack up a lot of points in mileage and pave points doing this.

In our case, the user claimed ignorance, and that he had not flown, and it was turned over to admin to find out if it was some kind of glitch. Never did hear anything else about it.

This should definitely be turned over to Admin with links to the paved lines.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:26 pm

One save was one lot of points in cartouche? Didn't know that!
Maybe that's why my points are lower than other editors who joined after when WME started? Not that I care.

I'd gladly surrender my ranking and even points if it stops people doing bugger all editing for points, but it really does make you wonder what kind of lives these people live if points on a satnav is the be all and end all.

I mean, most of us with high points already know we don't have lives outside Waze (or little), why *make* yourself look like OCD suffering map editing freak like us lot? LOL

As I said, I could understand cheating if there were any real benefits (monetary or materialistic) but a scoreboard on an app that most people don't give two effs about? Really? Get yourself a life!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

PreviousNext

Return to Ranks and Points