Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby Unholy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi folks,

We need your help:

Currently there is only one vehicle type in Waze - Private car.
All navigation methods in Waze are currently designated for the use of drivers who use private cars only.
Well... We're working on exciting stuff here at Waze HQ, but we need your help!

- Which types of vehicles should be added to Waze's client? (i.e truck, 18 wheelers, scooters etc.)
- which types of navigation would you like to see? ( HOV lanes, truck roads only etc.)

We're waiting to hear you all!

* Please elaborate as possible and state your country.

Ori
Unholy
Waze Team
Waze Team

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby Hypersky75 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm a truck driver (18 wheeler) in Canada and would LOVE to have such a vehicle category added in the waze client.
As for truck navigation, I've seen very few truck-only roads segments so far, but a lot of no-trucks-allowed ones. There is also the question of weight, size, and hazardous material restrictions, but I think that would be too complicated for now (unless you guys are up for it!). I currently handle those with a truck GPS anyway, but I always have waze running beside it for traffic and live incidents reports. My GPS is also slow at re-routing, so waze is a great backup since it re-routes very quickly.
A truck driver mood, and a few different truck (and trailer) color choices for the vehicle icon display would be nice too.
Hypersky75
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby OldGnome » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Desired New Vehicle Type: Bicycle
Desired New Roadway: Bicycle Path

:)
OldGnome

Postby CBenson » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm in the Washington, DC region of the United States and believe that you are not really serving the commuters here if you do not take the HOV restrictions into account. Thus the ability to designate HOV roads and HOV vehicles is needed. However, many of the HOV restrictions here are for only a portion of the day. Thus, HOV needs to be a quality/characteristic of the road (like toll is) and it needs to be able to vary based on the time of day. In other words, you will need to able to designate the road as HOV from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM. During that time only HOV type vehicles can use the road. Additionally, it matters how many occupants the vehicle has here. In other words, some restrictions are HOV-2 (restricted to vehicles with 2 or more occupants) and some restrictions are HOV-3 (restricted to vehicles with 3 or more occupants). So ideally, you would be able to designate between HOV types. But I believe that just a HOV designation would be useful, even if you could not distinguished between HOV types.

There is also much discussion about the recently opened HOT/Express lanes in the area. The lanes are available either if you meet the HOV requirement or if you pay a toll. Thus, it would be beneficial if you could designate a road as both toll and HOV and that would allow routing if you have avoid toll road off or if you select that you are HOV.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.2
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jemay » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:23 pm

1) Recreational Vehicle (RV), some roads are restricted and do not allowing RVs. Some roads and tunnels do not allow RVs.
2) Towing anything. (Car towing a trailer, RV towing a car/trailer, Pickup truck towing trailer, Truck (18 wheelers)....) Because in California you can only do 55mph while everybody else can go faster when posted. So time of ETA would change for anybody towing (because we are not allowed to drive over 55mph when towing)
3) In California, if the HOV lanes are in the center of the interstate, Trucks and towing vehicles can not be in the inside (Left) lanes or the dedicated center (of the freeway) lanes (i.e. 91 express lanes).
4) Trains. People are already riding the trains with Waze on and building roads (tracks :roll:)
5) Ferry routes. Currently we mark them as toll roads, but should be classified and noted as Ferry.

Notes:
Truck = 18 wheeler = semi = commercial truck,
Pickup truck = non commercial truck would equate to private car.
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

DROID TURBO 2 - Android 6.0 - Verizon - Waze Ver. 4.2.0.1
jemay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby chrysrobyn » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:59 pm

New vehicle type: Delivery (USPS, UPS, etc.). They make all kinds of stops along residential roads and make all the rural roads in my neighborhood glow red (slow) during the last two weeks of December when I'm driving home.
Ramp type: HOV. I do some AM work in the Phoenix area and the ability to mark ramps as HOV only would be very useful.
chrysrobyn
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby cherianchris » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:51 pm

Would you add the Tuk Tuk a.k.a Autorickshaw, to the Waze Client please? Those are three wheelers, with two stroke engines. These vehicles run in cities all over India. If you guys need a pic I'll grab one and send it your way.

Another suggestion to enhance the fun factor while using Waze: Could you add an M1Abrams Battle Tank to the Client please? People all over the world would love it.. :smile:

Just some ideas, in my head. Hope these helped you out.

Regards,
Chris

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by cherianchris on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
cherianchris
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby OldGnome » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:14 pm

cherianchris wrote:Another suggestion to enhance the fun factor while using Waze: Could you add an M1Abrams Battle Tank to the Client please? People all over the world would love it.. :smile:

Oh, yeah.

I want one.
OldGnome

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Vehicle Type: Truck
Associated Segment Flag: No Trucks
Notes: HOWEVER, this has to be implemented better than the "Toll Road" flag. It needs to be limited to 2nd level Area Managers (those with more than 100,000 edits) & Country Mangers. This is to prevent abuse because in the US, there are Roads that are "No Trucks" (think things like Parkways) & "No Thru Trucks" (Think residential streets - HOWEVER it is legal to drive a truck on these streets - just not legal to use it as a cut-through to get somewhere else). Regular users should not have access to this flag because everyone will be flagging the street they live on as "No Trucks" because no one likes trucks on their street. I also agree with Hypersky75 about further restrictions (weight, height, width, hazmat, etc) be awesome to have, but too complicated to handle.
Hypersky75 wrote:There is also the question of weight, size, and hazardous material restrictions, but I think that would be too complicated for now (unless you guys are up for it!).
The more truckers we can get on the service, the more data Waze will get simply based on the amount of hours/miles these drivers go in a given day. The truck mode could also differentiate between trucks slowing down on a hill (cars maintaining normal speed) and a traffic jam (all vehicle types slowing) - Maintaining a "Truck average speed" on these segments. This same exact system could also apply to RVs - most of which, based on height & weight and the fact some have airbrakes, technically qualify as Commercial Vehicles, but are exempt from all the DOT restrictions/licensing (a sore spot with truckers).

Segment Type: Ferry
Associate Client Setting: Avoid Ferry
Notes: Simple implementation similar to Toll Roads, more complex implementation could support Ferry Schedules (similar to how advertiser pins have the Open/Closed displayed). Will bring up questions related to Seasonal/Year Round (and emergency closures), and Free/Pay (could be handled with the existing Toll Flag). The existing, fragmented, implementation of Ferries doesn't work well as they are not always mapped based on area & those that are are not mapped with any consistent style. It needs to be said that once, on a trip from Hartford, CT to New London, CT Waze directed me to drive from Hartford to New London, get on the Ferry to Long Island, take the Ferry to Long Island, get off the Ferry on Long Island, turn around, get back on the Ferry, go back to New London & proceed to my destination - which was no where near the ferry terminal. There are also 2 smaller seasonal ferries in CT which also close when the Connecticut River floods (which happens at least once or twice a year).

Segment Properties: Time based restrictions.
Notes: Been discussed many times. Basically the ability to set road direction (two-way, one-way) or turn restrictions that are dependent on the day of the week and/or time of day.

Segment Properties: HOV restrictions.
Notes: Been discussed many times. Basically the ability to route qualifying vehicles on certain routes. In Connecticut, HOV lanes are restricted to 1) Passenger Vehicles with 2+ people (counting driver), 2) All Motorcycles, 3) All Buses (public, school & private). Restrictions vary from place to place & based on time of day/day of week (see above). Lower on my priority list because no one really uses the few we have in CT now - BUT this is probably top priority for may other areas.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mirarkitty » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:48 am

Well, something to start with that needs to enter into the maps as soon as possible:

* Taxi mode - can take taxi lanes and shortcuts a lot in sweden - need map support
* Bus mode - same there (bus~=taxi+truck), and need map support
* Carpooling mode - may take special lanes as well (doesn't exist in sweden though)
* MC mode - they may bypass stuck traffic and mess up roads
* Truck mode - slow, messes up roads, might need permissions on roads on the map to pick the right roads
* Trailer mode - slow, messes up roads

Maybe a height/weight-of-vehicle with permissions set on roads for that.

Speaking of which, please add time-limited permissions on roads while you're on that ("7:30-22:00 only northbound")...
mirarkitty

Next

Return to Waze App