The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Question on Intersection Segment Lengths

Post by kodi75
There seems to be a lot of User Problems relating to the intersection of Florida Ave NW and N Capitol Street in Washington DC [zoom in close to the intersection]:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=9&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT

Although recently edited (which may have resolved some of the generated errors), this general alignment has been in place for at least several weeks. Is there a minimum length for segments to be recognized by the Waze Network? Some of these routing segments are less than 3 m.

A search of the Wiki and the discussion boards mention recommended angles, but I could not find any references to minimum distances.

Also, recent discussions on turn-restrictions indicate that if a turn is prohibited during both rush-hour times, then the turn should be not allowed. However the Wiki states to allow the turn, letting the user manually re-route their commute. I am in favor of the former, unless the program will be allowing for time-restrictions in the near future.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:8514403

Send a message

Post by CBenson
You're always going to have either a lot of User Reports or Map Problems where there are time based turn restrictions.

My recent policy has been to restrict all time restricted turns and put a small landmark with turn restriction information (which you can see one of if you turn on the landmark layer at that intersection).

I am unaware of problems with very short segments. I have added very short ramp segments to prompt turn instructions in the past without problems.

I don't understand the what the short segments at this intersection are for. Did FattyMcKee add them? The intersection worked fine (well except for not taking into account the time based turn restriction) without them.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
kodi75 wrote:CBenson: how does this landmark appear on the user's phone?
It doesn't. Small landmarks don't appear. The landmark is solely an annotation to the editor map to let editors know that the intersection has time based restrictions.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by kodi75
I too am unsure what was trying to be accomplished here that basic turn restrictions at a single point intersection couldn't handle?
I looked at several other intersections in the area and did not find any that looked like this one. I agree, the simple intersection would suffice here.
Did FattyMcKee add them?
I believe this intersection was like this before McKee tackled it. I'll switch it back to a simple intersection and apply the turn restrictions.
put a small landmark with turn restriction
CBenson: how does this landmark appear on the user's phone?
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
I have seen issues with short segments, especially at intersections where people will be turning. Depending on where the user's GPS track ends up, often times you will see that the car did not cross one or multiple of the short segments which then creates a missing road error.

I too am unsure what was trying to be accomplished here that basic turn restrictions at a single point intersection couldn't handle?
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator