Does Waze consider smaller roads into it's routing?

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Does Waze consider smaller roads into it's routing?

Postby RallyChris » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:49 pm

Antmannz wrote:I have a feeling junction points also create quite a penalty when calculating routes.

I've seen where a misplaced additional junction point on a primary road caused Waze to route around back streets to avoid it (reducing the total number of junction points traversed).

In theory toll roads, freeways and motorways should have less junction points than standard streets (especially over a distance), thereby giving them quite a precedence when being chosen.

When they first started waze, we were told that a junction adds a 5 second penalty.

The last we saw, was that junction where there were no options don't have a penalty.

Again, this is black box and what they leak. And sometimes I think they misspeak themselves. So take the above with a grain of salt.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby RallyChris » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:20 pm

Take this list with a grain of salt.

Another thread mentioned this list, but real world examples showed that they were not hard fast rules.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Does Waze consider smaller roads into it's routing?

Postby reflon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:47 pm

Basically it should take the freeways and such to begin with but when it detects heavy traffic or anything that will slow you down, it should start looking to all the roads nearby. Now I'm not sure if that's how they have it setup and it's just doing that cuz of a bug or something or they have it setup a different way but to me that seems like the most logical way.
reflon

Postby RodNav » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:30 pm

gettingthere wrote:
Shaigan wrote:On the "support" page, enter "penalty" and look at the automatic answer. All is clear for me to understand that smaller roads are taken into trip calculation.

Sure, but any routing penalty for lower classes of roads should be less than a 2 hour traffic delay!

Copied this from the automatic answer:
Code: Select all
Long Distances:
0-15 km - All road types are allows for routing.
15-20 km - All road types except Streets.
20-30 km - All road types except Streets and Primary streets.
30-200 km - Only Minor, Major, and Freeways.
more than 200 km - only Freeways.

Well, that makes it clear that on any route longer than 15km, Streets are ignored in routing. And anything more than 30km only highway and freeway types will be used. I think waze needs to seriously rethink this. In fact, if there is sufficient historical speed data, why even consider the road type? If a Street route is faster than a Freeway route, then it is faster.
Also, why a penalty for junctions? If waze knows the time taken to transit two junctioned segments, it shouldn't add another 5 seconds for the junction. Near my house I cross 3 very close junctions in about 9-10 seconds, but I guess waze must calculate that it is actually 25 seconds. (10 + (3x5))
Country Manager for South Africa.
Samsung GT-I9300 (Galaxy S3), Android 4.1.2
RodNav
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby Shaigan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:02 am

On the "support" page, enter "penalty" and look at the automatic answer. All is clear for me to understand that smaller roads are taken into trip calculation.

--
via Samsung Galaxy S avec Tapatalk
[ Shaigan & Cie | Google+ | Facebook | Twitter ]
[ France Country Manager | Waze Android 3.7.2 sur Nexus 4 ]
Shaigan
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby Timbones » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:50 am

There's definitely a propblem with the A513 by Weeping Cross, which I'll get sorted right away. There may be some other wrinkles along the ideal map that needs fixing.

In theory, if you keep using Waze, and keep driving the route you prefer, it will eventually start using it. YMMV.
Timbones(6) • UK Country Admin & Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Beta Editor and Routing Expert
Scripts: WME Colour Highlights v1.8 (Feb 2014)WME Route Tester
Timbones
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Timbones » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:52 am

...it really doesn't want to use the A446 - Lichfield Rd either, though I can't see why. Maybe just need more people to drive that way.
Timbones(6) • UK Country Admin & Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Beta Editor and Routing Expert
Scripts: WME Colour Highlights v1.8 (Feb 2014)WME Route Tester
Timbones
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:25 am

RodNav wrote:if there is sufficient historical speed data, why even consider the road type?

Scalability is why. If I am trying to find a route from NYC to LA across all of the US, it would take infinite resources to check every possible route. So we reduce the calculations required and only examine a subset of road types.

If roads have the correct type applied, this works well. But one single street segment in the middle of what should be a freeway will indeed cause problems. That is a map data issue though, and not a routing algorithm issue.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby xteejx » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:19 am

Waze does love the M6 Toll and with good reason. It's at least 10-20% quicker than the M1 or M6, mainly because you have to pay for it.
If you can give us a rough start and end point, and the route you think Waze should take you, we can have a look and see if there are any map problems causing this.
FYI, you'd have got a quicker response from someone in the UK if you had posted in the UK subforum ;-)
Oh, waze does indeed use smaller roads, better than other SatNav apps I find, but the map must be correct, etc.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
xteejx

Postby xteejx » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:21 pm

Wow, nice work with a wealth of information to look at. How I wish more wazers were like this!
I've tried to grab the same route now (10:14pm Tues 17th July) and it's given me A4114, A45, A452, A446 and the M6 to Junction 14.
This is the 2nd route, the first one being pretty much the length of the M6 Toll which is 5 minutes faster according to waze.
I'll take a look at each of those "better" routes and see if there's anything missing or wrong on the waze side. Bear in mind, waze will try to keep to fast roads as much as possible, i.e. lock towards motorways BUT, have you tried this route with the "Avoid Highways" option on? It will avoid the M6 and the M6 Toll completely and may well give the A34 route as an option.
Remember you will need to press the Routes button if the one Waze gives you first off isn't the one you think is right. Especially on longer routes like this where there are a couple of choices with motorways, A roads and that.

Will look into the A34 first off, see if there's anything obvious causing the problem.
xteejx

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App