Service Roads

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Service Roads

Postby txemt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:29 pm

PhantomSoul wrote:In situations where a highway has inner express lanes and an outer local roadway with all the exits and turns, I've used ramps to represent the outer roadway, as seen on State Rte 18 here. They seem to carry just enough of a penalty to prevent Waze from routing over the local segements unless it actually wants you to exit off them, but also won't route you away from those exits just because you need to traverse a whole bunch of "ramps" to get to it.

Of course, these local segments also don't have any driveways, be it residences or businesses. Personally, I think it would look a little silly for ramps to have addresses, and I'm not sure how that would even affect Waze's routing to those addresses.

Have we reached any kind of consensus on this?

That's not quite what we're talking about. https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 2,46960608 is more of what we're talking about.
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby txemt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:42 pm

andrewfatcat wrote:In texas I use frontage rd if no other name is given because most of time you see frontage rd is used in some of the highway exits.

Good point, but have you seen the signs the city puts up that says "I-xx Service Road"? The exit sign may say "frontage", but the city decides to call it "service."
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby txemt » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:35 am

I found a service road I was talking about!!!

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=48894570
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bmitch3020 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:45 am

I've also see lots of UR's around local highways that aren't freeways, where the routing penalties may be a bit different. This stretch often backs up during rush hours, so Waze routes get fancy. Some of the problem is solved by turn restrictions and one way segments, where appropriate.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT
Brandon
Northern Virginia Area Manager
bmitch3020

Previous

Return to Waze Map Editor