Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Post by
Hi folks,

We need your help:

Currently there is only one vehicle type in Waze - Private car.
All navigation methods in Waze are currently designated for the use of drivers who use private cars only.
Well... We're working on exciting stuff here at Waze HQ, but we need your help!

- Which types of vehicles should be added to Waze's client? (i.e truck, 18 wheelers, scooters etc.)
- which types of navigation would you like to see? ( HOV lanes, truck roads only etc.)

We're waiting to hear you all!

* Please elaborate as possible and state your country.

Ori

POSTER_ID:94248

Send a message

Post by aigarslv
For Latvia we would only need truck navigation - because we very often have accidents involving truck drivers from other countries, who try to pass under bridges with trucks that are taller than allowed. So it would be perfect to be able to add allowed car/truck height value to a segment (so truck can be routed around that segment before it is too late). Also many roads are restricted for trucks.
aigarslv
Experts
Experts
Send a message

Post by Ajavas
I'm a truck driver in The Netherlands and would love to have truck vehicle category and options, like size, weight and wheels option in Waze.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T805 met Tapatalk
Ajavas
Send a message

Post by akajime
Motorcycle - 250 cc and above
Moped/Vespa 50 cc to 350cc
akajime
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shellshock2872 wrote:Where can I get the beta
Invite only. I've posted in other threads, even in the last week, about some criteria Waze may use to invite editors to be part of the beta testing.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
noney82 wrote:excuse me for being lazy and not reading all 19 pages of thread but... if i select 'car type' as a truck does that mean it uses routes that are truck friendly or is it just purely for illustration purposes?
If you mean the icons in the app for how you see your vehicle, that is purely graphical and nothing else. In the future, selecting a vehicle type (not likely the same as the icon) is supposed to avoid roads which don't restrict that type of vehicle.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
slandrum wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: In the future, selecting a vehicle type (not likely the same as the icon) is supposed to avoid roads which don't restrict that type of vehicle.
I hope that they avoid roads that do restrict those vehicles and route on roads that don't!

I know, it's just a simple typo. :)
Lol, you're right! Bad typo. :oops:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by alexmlehmann
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I'm really new to Waze in the first place and I'm not sure what happened from here on out. I live and work in California, USA, where it's legal to split lanes and pass by cars. Switching Waze to motorcycle CA mode would be really important. Things that I would expect in that mode are:

- all visuals are spoken (like "police officer reported coming up in 500 feet") since most riders rely on audio only
- ability to set level of audio-feedback (how often would you like to be warned "100/200/500 feet" etc.)
- lane-splitting legal or not? If so, don't account speed, or allow the user to manually switch between lane splitting or not
- ability to report things through voice

Anyway, maybe part of this is in development and I'd be glad if someone can point me in the right directions.

Thanks, Lx
alexmlehmann
Send a message

Post by alexs001
AndyPoms wrote:Country: USA (but I think this list can apply to all)

Vehicle Type: Truck
Associated Segment Flag: No Trucks
Notes: HOWEVER, this has to be implemented better than the "Toll Road" flag. It needs to be limited to 2nd level Area Managers (those with more than 100,000 edits) & Country Mangers. This is to prevent abuse because in the US, there are Roads that are "No Trucks" (think things like Parkways) & "No Thru Trucks" (Think residential streets - HOWEVER it is legal to drive a truck on these streets - just not legal to use it as a cut-through to get somewhere else). Regular users should not have access to this flag because everyone will be flagging the street they live on as "No Trucks" because no one likes trucks on their street. I also agree with Hypersky75 about further restrictions (weight, height, width, hazmat, etc) be awesome to have, but too complicated to handle.
Hypersky75 wrote:There is also the question of weight, size, and hazardous material restrictions, but I think that would be too complicated for now (unless you guys are up for it!).
The more truckers we can get on the service, the more data Waze will get simply based on the amount of hours/miles these drivers go in a given day. The truck mode could also differentiate between trucks slowing down on a hill (cars maintaining normal speed) and a traffic jam (all vehicle types slowing) - Maintaining a "Truck average speed" on these segments. This same exact system could also apply to RVs - most of which, based on height & weight and the fact some have airbrakes, technically qualify as Commercial Vehicles, but are exempt from all the DOT restrictions/licensing (a sore spot with truckers).
One problem I can see with restricting this to high-level editors, is that many of them will not have the specific knowledge as to which routes are approved for truck traffic. Perhaps editors should have to log miles as a truck before editing rights can be granted for these parameters. Of course, this introduces another whole layer of complexity to the user privileges system.
alexs001
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 9
Send a message
Local Champ: Canada
Area Manager: Okanagan Valley, BC / Newfoundland and Labrador

https://s.waze.tools/c6.png https://s.waze.tools/s0500.png

Post by andnym
Sweden:

I suggest to add the possibility to avoid roads allowed for non studded tyres only. There are such roads in Stockholm. And the law in Sweden requires vehicles to have winter tyres on during the winter period. Som people like myself use studded tyres and if I navigate with Waze it sometimes directs me to these roads where I'm not allowed to drive with my car.
andnym
Send a message

Post by AndreaDFC
Italy: there are a lot of road where you cannot drive with trucks or buses and there also are a lot of roads where you cannot drive at variable hours of the day, with almost every kind of vehicle.
If Waze could help to solve this problems when you drive, I think it could become a really more widespread navigator!
AndreaDFC
Send a message