Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:46 am

yrrabsille wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:Country: USA (but I think this list can apply to all)

Segment Properties: HOV restrictions.
Notes: Been discussed many times. Basically the ability to route qualifying vehicles on certain routes. In Connecticut, HOV lanes are restricted to 1) Passenger Vehicles with 2+ people (counting driver), 2) All Motorcycles, 3) All Buses (public, school & private). Restrictions vary from place to place & based on time of day/day of week (see above). Lower on my priority list because no one really uses the few we have in CT now - BUT this is probably top priority for may other areas.

I use the HOV in Connecticut all the time and it's messing with the traffic data because I'm probably flying right by you when you're stuck in traffic.

Barry
You're one of the few... They are mapped properly (with independent ramps & Parking Lot Roads) but I'm betting you use the full length of it, so due to GPS's inherent inaccuracy Waze never detects that you are in that lane, right?
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:05 pm

dfellow wrote:Just started using Waze. Finding it a nice app. Now see that I'm probably messing things up (speed reports) since I'm riding a bicycle. But, I'm able to document problems though while riding like missing streets and traffic problems, construction zones, so I would like to see a bicycle mode.

Thanks,
Donald
Waze newbie

Do NOT use Waze on a bicycle. Only use Waze while in a car/truck/etc. You are contributing false data to the system. Also, if you go into navigation mode, you will be directed to the heaviest traveled & fastest roads...

(But, yes, a bicycle mode would be nice)
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:56 am

torone wrote:police/firefigther/ambulance
While a good idea, what's to stop any average driver from using that mode?
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:31 am

Riamus wrote:Or if you're asking about pedestrians and bicycles, Waze staff mentioned it in their post about the Google acquisition.
I see no reference to pedestrians or bicycles in Noam's post about the Google acquisition here: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 11#p466608

I can tell you that neither pedestrians nor bicycles are currently being tested as an option.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:30 am

x-dream wrote:Country: Israel.

We own a marketing business. We do have trucks that uses waze. We sure would like to see version for trucks.

Our local transportation rules have restrictions for:

1. Some roads are not for trucks.
2. Some roads allow trucks at certien hours.

Thank you!

Please read the info in this thread - Time-based & Vehicle-type restrictions are currently being tested in the beta editor. The time-based restrictions are also being tested in the app (if we restrict something in the beta editor, the routing engine uses that info after the next tile build), the vehicle type restrictions have not yet made it to the app-testing phase yet (the app needs an update so you can select your vehicle type before this can start to happen).
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:36 am

ictag wrote:I find waze especially useful when I cycle somewhere instead of driving. You can pair up with your online Facebook friends much more easily.

But, it probably wreaks havoc with the waze maps (especially in towns and cities) so a transport-type button might lead to less map errors.
Waze is NOT for use on bicycles. You are contributing false data to the maps & since Waze is designed to route you from Point A to Point B as fast as possible, the app will route you on higher value roads (those that can support more traffic at higher speeds, etc).
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:45 am

squeedps wrote:Also, I used to live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. They had an HOV lane on the north and south side of the bay that was designated as HOV during high traffic times of the day only (and day of the week, M-F). During all the rest of the time anyone, single passenger or not, could use the lane without penalty. This was also the case north of Hartford, CT on I-91.
The HOV Lanes in Hartford, CT (I-91 north of the city & I-84 east of the city) are not open to single occupant cars at any time.

The time-based restrictions we are currently beta testing (in the beta editor and sometimes on the app) will support reversible lanes (as long as they are on a set schedule). Vehicle-type restrictions (also in beta editor testing only) can also have a time component so a road segment can be HOV2+ (or 3+) during certain hours an open to all at other times.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Magnum_26 wrote:How about a little person for when walking, and a Train one that follows the train routes?
Waze is NOT for use while walking or when on the Train.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:07 pm

DaveNorton wrote:I'm currently trying to figure out if there is a way to enter a request for a "commercial route" or "truck route". Shortly, I will be driving a truck (moving furniture, etc.) to Long Island from Maryland. And it would be nice to have Waze route me such that it avoids roads I am not permitted to drive on (parkways). I know most of these, but having Waze do it would be helpful.

So yes. Having a vehicle type of "Commercial" that Waze would use to refine its route calculation would be helpful.

Not yet, but it's in the works. We recently got the ability to do vehicle type restrictions in the editor, but the client app & routing engine needs an update to work with vehicle types. The client updates aren't in beta testing yet, and we have not estimated time frame for it yet.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:13 pm

CT State Police has been known to sit in the median between the HOV & Regular Travel Lanes and do both speed & HOV enforcement at the same time. Our HOV lanes are under utilized, so you could be doing 65+ in the HOV lanes and the regular lanes are sitting at 30mph or less...
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App