waze auto-reroute plans

Post by
what are waze's plans concerning auto-reroute around traffic and incidents.

several months ago waze would re-route around traffic extremely well. now it seems like it only focuses on routing you based on the average road speeds. this is still a feature that i like but an auto-reroute (improved or like it use to be) would be wonderful.
Using it as a tool to just notice traffic and i have to decide how to route around it is just like all the other gps apps.
my magellan has a detour feature when it warns me of traffic. if waze doesn't plan on incorporating auto-rerouting around traffic and incidents, then at least provide us with a detour button.
Driving off-route and waiting for waze to recalculate for some reason takes too long while two other gps's I use it is really quick when having driven off route.

POSTER_ID:6797178

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It does and should. Unsure why it seems to do this and then doesn't other times.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
Shadrian wrote:I'd like to know about reroute plans.

I'm hitting traffic which I can then see on the map but only after it is too late to avoid it eg after I've gone past the last motorway junction before the delay.
It seems to me that this would be affected by how the map is set up. I'd be interested to know what road this happens on
Shadrian wrote:ETA and traffic reroutes in Help talk about no reroute if delay is less than 5% of original ETA but this has not been the case for me.

I'd like Waze, when it encounters a delay, to:
a) Tell me it has encountered a delay
b) Tell me what the change to my delay is
c) Ask me if I want to recalculate the delay (also would be useful if there was a default setting for recalculating but I would want it still to tell me as I've experienced automatic rerouting which did not work on other traffic systems)

Any chance of this being added to Waze?
Although, I agree that the 5% number doesn't seem to be accurate, the rest (if I'm understanding you correctly) waze does for me. I get popups telling me of a delay and what the new ETA is and when waze finds a better route, I get a popup stating that the new route has been found.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Shadrian wrote:On the M3 heading towards London
Hmm, that seems odd to me. I had always thought that the traffic delays showed for the entire segment between junctions. So when does waze show you the traffic you are hitting?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by daneisherenow
I also always come across this. I make the same drive almost weekly on a road that is bumper-to-bumper traffic daily during the evening rush hour. Sometimes, Waze tells me and routes me around it. Other times, I have to use my fingers to move the map forward to see the backup, and make the decision for myself. It also, like other posters above have said, never seems to show up on the preview when looking into the "routes" menu. I don't understand it.
daneisherenow
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
These issues have been experienced by Wazers for many, many months. This has been reported to Waze many times. They claim they fixed it but it reoccurs. The functionality of traffic avoidance and traffic data is not always reliable. Sometimes it works ok, but other times it does not.

These are the types of issues that all seem to be related:

* Traffic on route and visible on the map but not correctly represented in the route preview
* Traffic on route that does not seem to be accounted for in the ETA
* The failure of Waze to re-route around traffic
* Waze bouncing back and forth between traffic building and traffic freed up messages, sometimes in rapid succession, sometimes with re-routing, re-routing back or not
* The refusal of Waze to address fundamental flaws in their traffic algorithms that too easily permits a single Wazer to contribute bad traffic data into the system that shows on the map and impacts other travelers.

I believe that many of these issues were introduced when Waze made the routing servers redundant to avoid routing failures. I suspect that the sync of data between the routing servers is not working correctly all of the time and that our clients communicate with different routing servers that have different data. There may be other contributing factors.

Waze keeps adding more features but does not seem to address the primary function of traffic avoidance for commuters. It's frustrating and it's one of the primary reasons I am much less involved with contributing to Waze. There are other commuting traffic avoidance applications (both free and paid) that are more reliable without the need to constantly contribute hours and hours of your personal time to make it work and without the ongoing frustration of the solution never working as it should.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by Jarpee05
Bump. I would like to know as well.
Jarpee05
Send a message

Post by Shadrian
I'd like to know about reroute plans.

I'm hitting traffic which I can then see on the map but only after it is too late to avoid it eg after I've gone past the last motorway junction before the delay.

ETA and traffic reroutes in Help talk about no reroute if delay is less than 5% of original ETA but this has not been the case for me.

c) Ask me if I want to recalculate the delay (also would be useful if there was a default setting for recalculating but I would want it still to tell me as I've experienced automatic rerouting which did not work on other traffic systems)

Shadrian
Send a message

Post by Shadrian
CBenson wrote:
Shadrian wrote:I'd like to know about reroute plans.

It seems to me that this would be affected by how the map is set up. I'd be interested to know what road this happens on
Shadrian replied wrote:On the M3 heading towards London
Shadrian wrote:ETA and traffic reroutes in Help talk about no reroute if delay is less than 5% of original ETA but this has not been the case for me.

Although, I agree that the 5% number doesn't seem to be accurate, the rest (if I'm understanding you correctly) waze does for me. I get popups telling me of a delay and what the new ETA is and when waze finds a better route, I get a popup stating that the new route has been found.
Shadrian replied wrote:Now I wonder whether Waze used to do this and has stopped. There don't appear to be any settings that I can adjust to switch this feature on and off. All I know is that I haven't got popup warnings for delays or ETA changes for the last few long journeys I've made (I don't use it for local journeys)
Shadrian
Send a message

Post by Shadrian
CBenson wrote:
Shadrian wrote:On the M3 heading towards London
Hmm, that seems odd to me. I had always thought that the traffic delays showed for the entire segment between junctions. So when does waze show you the traffic you are hitting?
Shadrian reply wrote:On screen so I become aware of it when I can see the problem. One thought I have had is that maybe the traffic issue is there when I orginally plan the rounte and I have not noticed it on the route summary - having said that the result should be a later ETA than I would be expecting which when I notice I look for alternatives. If however the Waze's ETA calculation at the start includes the fact that there is a traffic problem but does not affect the ETA greatly will a change in that same traffic problem/or Waze's ETA estimate because of it result in a popup for a change in the ETA - ie does the popup not occur because it was a known problem when the ETA was originally calculated?
Shadrian
Send a message

Post by Shadrian
Latest is next few journeys had no delays on - where are delays when you need one.

Then had issue with phone & had to reinstall Waze. Immediately on next journey had ETA updates, several in fact - informed of ETA changes of 9 mins & 4 mins. So all up and running again - reinstallation seems to have solved the issue for me.
Shadrian
Send a message