Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

City and County Naming - New Zealand

Post by
Hi all

First draft
http://world.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Ne ... ityLabelNZ

As always I suspect robust decision on the pros and cons

POSTER_ID:5851995

Send a message

Post by Antmannz
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this err.... discussion began because Patea was not centred on the actual urban area on the Live Map on the website.

For me, the Live Map is a guide only; it's what is shown in the client that matters most, and in the client the City Name moves about to accommodate your position, and whatever road names and other gui elements are being displayed.

IMO, setting the City Name according to road speed is pure nonsense; it requires a greater knowledge of the locality being edited and is likely to require more frequent updating. Additionally, as detailed in earlier posts, areas may just disappear off the map.

It's unlikely that new editors (which are likely 'transient' anyway) will read the forum or wiki here, they'll just start editing so any sort of decision re rural city naming I think needs to be simple enough that it would closely match what a newbie would do.
Antmannz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by finshona
Alt city: City name listed for postal purposes
Shouldn't that be for navigational purposes, why would anyone use Waze to work out someone's postal address?

Where has the decision been formed that Rural areas are less important navigationally than urban areas. I am concerned that you are limiting wazes navigational functionality. I have been based most of my life in rural areas, most of my driving is still to rural areas. Personally I still think that pcp192's idea of putting the local area name in the city field is sensible and logical on the open rural roads.

Lets take Hunua as an example the postal address is RD 3, Papakura so am I going to put all the names in this area as Papakura? Oh even better how about Ararimu, half of it would be labled Papakura and the other half Drury. This makes no sense whatsoever.

I think more thought and discussion needs to be put into this decision and that other peoples views should be taken into account, not summarily dismissed as they don't agree with the writer.
finshona
Send a message

Post by finshona
How about we choose Northland the area, map and name the whole area using the proposed method and then see what occurs on the live map and Waze client. I think Northland would be a reasonable choice as Whangarei is a large enough city to have a few suburbs but is not so unwieldly as say Auckland. There is the advantage that ispyisail lives in Whangarei and I originally came from the Dargaville/ Pouto Area. We could probably apply the rules over this area without too much trouble in say a 3 week period if a few of us work on it.
finshona
Send a message

Post by finshona
Does that mean that St Louis and its suburbs actually show what you've been suggesting all along that by using the area name (ie suburb name in a city or the local area in rural areas) used on all roads in that way will display the areas correctly?
finshona
Send a message

Post by finshona
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354956763.042721.jpg
(38.49 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
Lol. Lets not play where's Wally, lets play where's Whangarei. It seems your proposal is fatally flawed.
finshona
Send a message

Post by finshona
Sorry sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I would remove my last post but I can't. So I apologise it was very petty of me.
finshona
Send a message

Post by finshona
That photo was captured on my iPad, using the waze client. Here's another.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354957674.833644.jpg
(40.94 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
finshona
Send a message

Post by finshona
If keeping it simple (area/suburb name in city field) works in most places with the name displaying correctly on the map why don't we carry on with that and where the cludge is needed apply it where and when necessary. There could be a list of areas where the simple rules don't apply on the wiki and clear instructions on how to apply the cludge and why. That way new wazers won't upset the map through enthusiasm and ignorance.

Area managers for a cludged area could then diplomatically advise any new wazers who stumble through to check the relevant wiki pages.
finshona
Send a message

Post by finshona
Agreed. Finally a consensus where cities are concerned. Lock it in on the wiki. So highway have the city names entered. Primary streets and below will use the suburb name.

Shall we start a new thread for arguing oops I mean discussing rural road rules. Lol
finshona
Send a message

Post by finshona
I have lived in rural areas until 3 years ago when I moved to Auckland.

Since I was 8 years old I lived exactly 12km from, well back when I was 8 it was the Great South Rd, and then eventually we got State Highway 1 the motorway. Those 12 kms petrified every townie that ever drove out to our farm. The moment they left the "Main Rd" they would begin to panic that they had gone to far and that they were lost. Once cell phones came around we would have phone calls that lasted for the 15min drive from about 2km off the highway, to our driveway. Townies panic in rural areas once they leave the main road. I think it's that 100km/h open windy tiny road barely wide enough for one car let alone a car, a tractor and a cow!!

If the map doesn't clearly state that they are where they expect to be they will panic and god help them if there is no cell phone reception.

Why are you wanting to make every rural area name disappear from the map except for in some tiny village? Why is this important, is it simply aesthetics?

Ispy, why is SH 12 in Ruawai called Huarau?
finshona
Send a message