Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by Andres-3
Are there any news about putting on a road a "weight limit"? In my country (Estonia), there are many cities, that can't allow trucks above 8 tonne or so. That idea, in my opinion, is brilliant.
Andres-3
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms

Vehicle Type: Truck
Associated Segment Flag: No Trucks
Notes: HOWEVER, this has to be implemented better than the "Toll Road" flag. It needs to be limited to 2nd level Area Managers (those with more than 100,000 edits) & Country Mangers. This is to prevent abuse because in the US, there are Roads that are "No Trucks" (think things like Parkways) & "No Thru Trucks" (Think residential streets - HOWEVER it is legal to drive a truck on these streets - just not legal to use it as a cut-through to get somewhere else). Regular users should not have access to this flag because everyone will be flagging the street they live on as "No Trucks" because no one likes trucks on their street. I also agree with Hypersky75 about further restrictions (weight, height, width, hazmat, etc) be awesome to have, but too complicated to handle.
Hypersky75 wrote:There is also the question of weight, size, and hazardous material restrictions, but I think that would be too complicated for now (unless you guys are up for it!).
The more truckers we can get on the service, the more data Waze will get simply based on the amount of hours/miles these drivers go in a given day. The truck mode could also differentiate between trucks slowing down on a hill (cars maintaining normal speed) and a traffic jam (all vehicle types slowing) - Maintaining a "Truck average speed" on these segments. This same exact system could also apply to RVs - most of which, based on height & weight and the fact some have airbrakes, technically qualify as Commercial Vehicles, but are exempt from all the DOT restrictions/licensing (a sore spot with truckers).

Segment Type: Ferry
Associate Client Setting: Avoid Ferry
Notes: Simple implementation similar to Toll Roads, more complex implementation could support Ferry Schedules (similar to how advertiser pins have the Open/Closed displayed). Will bring up questions related to Seasonal/Year Round (and emergency closures), and Free/Pay (could be handled with the existing Toll Flag). The existing, fragmented, implementation of Ferries doesn't work well as they are not always mapped based on area & those that are are not mapped with any consistent style. It needs to be said that once, on a trip from Hartford, CT to New London, CT Waze directed me to drive from Hartford to New London, get on the Ferry to Long Island, take the Ferry to Long Island, get off the Ferry on Long Island, turn around, get back on the Ferry, go back to New London & proceed to my destination - which was no where near the ferry terminal. There are also 2 smaller seasonal ferries in CT which also close when the Connecticut River floods (which happens at least once or twice a year).

Segment Properties: Time based restrictions.
Notes: Been discussed many times. Basically the ability to set road direction (two-way, one-way) or turn restrictions that are dependent on the day of the week and/or time of day.

Segment Properties: HOV restrictions.
Notes: Been discussed many times. Basically the ability to route qualifying vehicles on certain routes. In Connecticut, HOV lanes are restricted to 1) Passenger Vehicles with 2+ people (counting driver), 2) All Motorcycles, 3) All Buses (public, school & private). Restrictions vary from place to place & based on time of day/day of week (see above). Lower on my priority list because no one really uses the few we have in CT now - BUT this is probably top priority for may other areas.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
yrrabsille wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:Country: USA (but I think this list can apply to all)

Segment Properties: HOV restrictions.
Notes: Been discussed many times. Basically the ability to route qualifying vehicles on certain routes. In Connecticut, HOV lanes are restricted to 1) Passenger Vehicles with 2+ people (counting driver), 2) All Motorcycles, 3) All Buses (public, school & private). Restrictions vary from place to place & based on time of day/day of week (see above). Lower on my priority list because no one really uses the few we have in CT now - BUT this is probably top priority for may other areas.
I use the HOV in Connecticut all the time and it's messing with the traffic data because I'm probably flying right by you when you're stuck in traffic.

Barry
You're one of the few... They are mapped properly (with independent ramps & Parking Lot Roads) but I'm betting you use the full length of it, so due to GPS's inherent inaccuracy Waze never detects that you are in that lane, right?
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
dfellow wrote:Just started using Waze. Finding it a nice app. Now see that I'm probably messing things up (speed reports) since I'm riding a bicycle. But, I'm able to document problems though while riding like missing streets and traffic problems, construction zones, so I would like to see a bicycle mode.

Thanks,
Donald
Waze newbie
Do NOT use Waze on a bicycle. Only use Waze while in a car/truck/etc. You are contributing false data to the system. Also, if you go into navigation mode, you will be directed to the heaviest traveled & fastest roads...

(But, yes, a bicycle mode would be nice)
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
torone wrote:police/firefigther/ambulance
While a good idea, what's to stop any average driver from using that mode?
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
Riamus wrote:Or if you're asking about pedestrians and bicycles, Waze staff mentioned it in their post about the Google acquisition.
I see no reference to pedestrians or bicycles in Noam's post about the Google acquisition here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=51811#p466608

I can tell you that neither pedestrians nor bicycles are currently being tested as an option.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
x-dream wrote:Country: Israel.

We own a marketing business. We do have trucks that uses waze. We sure would like to see version for trucks.

Our local transportation rules have restrictions for:

1. Some roads are not for trucks.
2. Some roads allow trucks at certien hours.

Thank you!
Please read the info in this thread - Time-based & Vehicle-type restrictions are currently being tested in the beta editor. The time-based restrictions are also being tested in the app (if we restrict something in the beta editor, the routing engine uses that info after the next tile build), the vehicle type restrictions have not yet made it to the app-testing phase yet (the app needs an update so you can select your vehicle type before this can start to happen).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
ictag wrote:I find waze especially useful when I cycle somewhere instead of driving. You can pair up with your online Facebook friends much more easily.

But, it probably wreaks havoc with the waze maps (especially in towns and cities) so a transport-type button might lead to less map errors.
Waze is NOT for use on bicycles. You are contributing false data to the maps & since Waze is designed to route you from Point A to Point B as fast as possible, the app will route you on higher value roads (those that can support more traffic at higher speeds, etc).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
squeedps wrote:Also, I used to live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. They had an HOV lane on the north and south side of the bay that was designated as HOV during high traffic times of the day only (and day of the week, M-F). During all the rest of the time anyone, single passenger or not, could use the lane without penalty. This was also the case north of Hartford, CT on I-91.
The HOV Lanes in Hartford, CT (I-91 north of the city & I-84 east of the city) are not open to single occupant cars at any time.

The time-based restrictions we are currently beta testing (in the beta editor and sometimes on the app) will support reversible lanes (as long as they are on a set schedule). Vehicle-type restrictions (also in beta editor testing only) can also have a time component so a road segment can be HOV2+ (or 3+) during certain hours an open to all at other times.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
Magnum_26 wrote:How about a little person for when walking, and a Train one that follows the train routes?
Waze is NOT for use while walking or when on the Train.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager