Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby TonyG-UK » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:36 am

Here's what I wrote in Feb relating to this subject.

I think having set vehicle types is a mistake, you should have vehicle profiles and allow the user to define what the vehicles attributes are (weight, height, width, taxi/bus etc.). Then allow the user to have multiple profiles which they can select depending upon which vehicle they are currently driving. ETA scaling factor could then be automatically calculated per vehicle.

Similarly, WME should then allow attributes to be set on segments (width/height/weight restrictions, bus/taxi lanes). Handling turn restrictions for different attributes would need to be handled carefully, but isn't that difficult.
UK Country Manager. Area manager: Wiltshire, UK
TonyG-UK

Postby TonyG-UK » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:43 am

:twisted: It would be nice if you implemented this properly, unlike the Petrol Prices feature :twisted:
UK Country Manager. Area manager: Wiltshire, UK
TonyG-UK

Postby yrrabsille » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:47 pm

HOV: This should be a Road Type in the drop-down menu of the editor or a checkbox. Then there could be a "Use HOV" setting. One of the problems with HOV's is that they're often "time/day sensitive" such as the one on 93 S going into Boston, but then there are ones like Rt 84 outside of Hartford, CT that are HOV all the time. Ideally, you would check the HOV box which would reveal the "Time Sensitive?" checkbox, which would reveal the Mon-Friday checkbox and the Morning and Evening time designations. It's a lot, but then again this IS a commuter app first and foremost.

Trucks/Buses/Commercial Vehicles: I think that there could be a "Commercial Vehicle Mode" setting, along with a "Commercial Vehicles Restricted" checkbox in the editor. Height and weight info would be way too much to keep accurately up to date.

Since HOV lanes are sort of made for buses too, they should not fall under any commercial vehicle restriction which is why I'd keep these two features separate.

Barry
yrrabsille

Postby yrrabsille » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Also, if time restrictions were at all possible, this would be a great feature for turn restrictions also. Many city streets have this.
yrrabsille

Postby fvwazing » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Vehicletype: "Other vehicle" as a catchall for everything not foreseen. "Other" vehicles do not generate traffic/maperrors while they move around.

Vehicletype: cab/taxi
Roadtypeflag: taxi allowed. Taxis (with permit) are allowed to drive thru certain pedestrian zones. So - will a "pedestrian boardwalk" with taxis enabled be routable for taxis? Oh, and this is not allowed during shopping-times so time dependency please.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby deeggo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:05 pm

AndyPoms wrote:Notes: Been discussed many times. Basically the ability to set road direction (two-way, one-way) or turn restrictions that are dependent on the day of the week and/or time of day.

+1000, no wait, +1000000
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby yrrabsille » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:40 am

AndyPoms wrote:Country: USA (but I think this list can apply to all)

Segment Properties: HOV restrictions.
Notes: Been discussed many times. Basically the ability to route qualifying vehicles on certain routes. In Connecticut, HOV lanes are restricted to 1) Passenger Vehicles with 2+ people (counting driver), 2) All Motorcycles, 3) All Buses (public, school & private). Restrictions vary from place to place & based on time of day/day of week (see above). Lower on my priority list because no one really uses the few we have in CT now - BUT this is probably top priority for may other areas.

I use the HOV in Connecticut all the time and it's messing with the traffic data because I'm probably flying right by you when you're stuck in traffic.

Barry
yrrabsille

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:46 am

yrrabsille wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:Country: USA (but I think this list can apply to all)

Segment Properties: HOV restrictions.
Notes: Been discussed many times. Basically the ability to route qualifying vehicles on certain routes. In Connecticut, HOV lanes are restricted to 1) Passenger Vehicles with 2+ people (counting driver), 2) All Motorcycles, 3) All Buses (public, school & private). Restrictions vary from place to place & based on time of day/day of week (see above). Lower on my priority list because no one really uses the few we have in CT now - BUT this is probably top priority for may other areas.

I use the HOV in Connecticut all the time and it's messing with the traffic data because I'm probably flying right by you when you're stuck in traffic.

Barry
You're one of the few... They are mapped properly (with independent ramps & Parking Lot Roads) but I'm betting you use the full length of it, so due to GPS's inherent inaccuracy Waze never detects that you are in that lane, right?
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ukume » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:16 pm

En el foro español también estamos hablando de este tema
In the Spanish forum also talking about this topic

http://es.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=33829
ImageImage
County Manager España y Andorra.
Global Champ, Experto en Redes sociales de España, Beta Tester, Traductor.
Image Ukume Información Meetup aquí
ukume
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby fvwazing » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:11 am

Please, do NOT add cyclists and pedestrians to the set. Any new vehicles should be able to drive (a subset of) the car-network.

(I previously argued that cabs should be able to navigate the pedestrian zone at certain times. That could be done with other types than pedestrian boardwalk.)
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App